Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sterilising a steriliser?

A friend has kindly given me her electric steriliser, a mini food blender for when we are weaning and a few other bits. Although she had cleaned it herself, I am a bit of a clean freak and would like to give the steriliser a clean myself. So my question is, how do I do it? I'm loathe to use antibacterial wipes as it's essentially a food product but because it's electric, I can't soak it in milton.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Options
    As a fellow clean freak I have just washed all the parts to my steriliser with hot soapy water then wiped it all down with clean water to get rid of any left over soap. Assemble the steriliser and then follow the instructions and run a cycle with nothing in it. The result one clean and sterile steriliser. Hope this helps. I also wipe the outside with detol wipes when cleaning the kitchen same as other appliances keeps the outside clean aswell then image
  • Options

Brill, thanks Tink. She has also given me a bottle insulator bag thingy - and it smells of "something" and looks mouldy inside. Can I wash this in hot soapy water or a washing machine? or will it destroy the insulation?

• Options
    I've got the tommee tippee bottle bags and they say wipe clean only. To be honest I would throw them away if they look Mouldy as the mould may have spread to the insulating. I never used them with dd as changing bag had them built in same again this time I'll prob only use them to keep water warm for night feeds. X
  • Options

I am going to throw this one away and have ordered 2 from Argos at £8.99 for 2

• Options
    I don't blame you. Argos have some great deals on atm. They do come in handy image. It's amazing all the stuff you have to think about. I'm sure even with this being my 2nd and lists everywhere I've forgotten something lol. X
  • Options
    I would throw the bottle bag. Clean the outside with the antibacterial dettol spray. You can use it on highchairs so why not? Tje inside will be sterile anyway xx
  • Options

Gave it a good scrub last night (the steriliser) along with the travel bottle warmer and the mini blender and binned the bottle bag. I have to say, i enjoyed cleaning it all and maybe I'm a little OCD in that I'm even gonna buy a toothbrush to clean in the crevices lol

• Options
    I used a spare bottle brush to give my steriliser a good scrub! I use Milton diluted in hot water to clean the inside and leave the racks to soak in the Milton too image it's safe to use as long as you rinse it all off with boiling water and run the steriliser with just the racks in it image I'm abit of an OCD freak when it comes to Milton! Can't get enough of it! Haha xx
  • Options

Brill, gld im going the right way with it. I soaked it all in washing up liquid last night an already pricing up milton and descaler treatments lol