Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Consultant for preeclampsia....

Hi ladies!

So I've just got off the phone with my doctor, because I developed preeclampsia with baby #1 I will be seeing a consultant this time, anyone else in a similar situation or experienced this?

im wondering what to expect in my appointment and how often I'm going to be seen? I'll have to take 75mg of aspirin from 12week onwards, I'm 4+4 now so got a long wait!. Is a consultant like a midwife???  Arggh so many questions... Should have asked this while I had her on the phone!

thanks in advance for any replys image

Replies

• Options

Your consultant will assess your risk and probably c u regular but that's about it really they just keep a close eye on u check bloods ect 

• Options

Hi supersquish

i have been following your TTC journey, huge congrats on your pregnancy, I too developed pre eclampsia in my last pregnancy DS was delivered at 32 weeks I'm currently 31+1 with baby number 2 and on tender hooks waiting to see if it rears it's ugly head again, I'm consultant led and have had extra scans at 24, 28, weeks and will have them at 32 and 36 weeks as well also see my consultant after each scan for blood pressure, I've also seen my midwife every 2 weeks since 20 weeks for blood pressure and from now on I will see her every week to be checked and so far everything is going well, there's no gaurentee you will develop it again, it's nice to have the extra checks tho, xxx

• Options

So I'm looking lot seeing the midwife and consultant? With extra scans :S wow lol are you in the uk? X

• Options

Yes I'm in Leicester, I think I had my first consultant appointment at about 13 weeks, get used to being at the hospital plenty, it can get a bit much sometimes constantly peeing in a pot but getting to see baby a lot more makes up for it 

http://www.madeformums.com/lib/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-smile.gif

I'm at the point now where I developed pre eclampsia so am quite nervous xx

anything else you need to know please feel free to ask xx

• Options

I didn't develop it till 39+2 last time, I heard you get it earlier with your next baby..? I dunno if I still go to see the midwife for a booking in appointment, havd nooo idea what happens lol I just want the first trimester to go quickly! I was wondering if I'll be induced early or if they just wait and see if it comes back , guess ill find out soon enough x

• Options

You will still have your booking appointment with midwife as normal, then you will be sent an appointment with the consultant, you then book all your other consultant appointments each time you go.

I have the choice of a c section or trying to go natural, things may change if the pre eclampsia develops, I've been told they would prefer not to induce me not sure why tho xx

• Options

I had it with my second and with my 3rd and this one nothing extra was done and I haven't had it again ither

• Options

Yeah I was talking to my mum about this last night, my preeclampsia came on quickly ( was fine day before at midwife) I just felt something was wrong so went in to assessment for a check over and was admitted straight away, they have me labetalol which bought my blood pressure down within 2 hours, so was induced 3 days later image so..... I dont know if they will class that as high risk, said to mum that I'm NOT having a c section unless its life threating to me and baby!

my mum has had full blow eclampsia 3 times, first time at 15 weeks(brother died in utero), at 23 weeks( again brother died in utero), and again with me at 30 weeks. I was delivered by emergency c section and how me and mum are alive is itself a miricle! I weighed 1Lb 13oz sooo tiny, we were both in Intensive care for 6 weeks!

so I know how serious it is, and judging by my mums experiences it makes me quiet nervous!

• Options

Wow supersquish, sounds like your mum had a really hard time of it, considering your family history I would have thought they would keep more of an eye on you, 

with me I had no symptoms of pre eclampsia at all apart from protein in wee and the high BP at midwife check at 31 weeks was admitted for 24 hours to be monitored  was also given labetalol but it had no effect BP kept going up and up.

theres no gaurentee I will develop it again but there is a higher chance of developing it than someone who's never had it xx

• Options

Hi, I had pregnancy related hypertension with my first. It developed at 37 weeks resulting in very close monitoring. Eventually at 40 weeks I was induced as bp was so erratic. The induction didn't work so I was given an emergency section. We were both ok but my bp sored a day after delivery, very scary!  Stroke like symptoms.  Consultant said it was 50 50 if bp would return if I got pregnant again. We decided to try. I had aspirin from 12 weeks. No major bp issues 3 days in hospital as opposed to 2 weeks with first. Reassured by close monitoring. 2nd was elective section. Now number 3 due and on aspirin again and have first consultant appt today. Hoping bp behaves again. After the worry we'd had with our first we kept expecting the same problems but like the consultant had said each pregnancy is different. Really wish you all the best. ???? S x