Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

A comment on SIDS guidelines

2»

Replies

• Options

Thanks for that info AR it was the first thing my  mum and even my nan said to me, "dont let her sleep on her front if you can help it" , admittedly they couldnt tell me exactly why just that it was linked to cot death, but I think its the first time ive seen it mentioned here :) I didnt think you were being critical at all x

• Options

*non mummy incoming* I found this interesting AR, as recently I've seen a few FB friends pics of baby lying in its cot, on its front and in my mind I thought to myself I am sure they recommend against that, but I have never ever ever seen that mentioned on the SIDS threads on here!

I have picked this up from that 90s campaign, and I was only a child or young teen at that time so assumed things had just changed.

As I say, I'm not a mummy, just an interested BT lurker/TTC'er.

Thanks AR

• Options

I do think it is interesting which of the SIDS guidelines are the current craze so to speak.  I am not saying that they aren't important at all, but that people seem to latch on to one of them and focus on that.  When I had Zoe (so Jan 2009) it was all about having them in the room with you for 6 mths, however I had absolutely no idea she was meant to be with me for all sleeps.  I spent a lot of time on Hitched / DW and it really wasn't talked about at all.  Now there are posts about people sitting in bedrooms from whatever time the child goes to sleep etc.

I am really really surprised that people didn't know about tummy sleeping being so dangerous.  I thought the reason that it wasn't discussed / mentioned these days is that it is so well known and established practice to put baby on their tummy and that those people who did put them to sleep on their tummy it was an absolute final resort.

Hepburn, I absolutely totally get where you are coming from btw.  I am battling at the moment with getting Orla to sleep on her back.  At the moment I always put her to sleep on her back, and when she wakes will do everything I can to avoid putting her down on her tummy.  However when it reaches the point where I am sitting up with her on me and find myself falling asleep then that is the point when it is dangerous and I have to put her on her tummy (will try back first but if that doesn't work it is her tummy).  It is great when people can take it in shifts but I can't, I'm on my own and also have a 4.5 yr old that will come in and wake me up at 7am whether I have had an hours sleep all night or not.  

• Options

Babies in incubators are nursed on their fronts for the first few weeks/months of their lives as their tummies are soooo underdeveloped it aids digestion and supports their tiny diaphragms. However, in our SCBU, as soon as they are moved from incubators into open cots they are put onto their backs and all nurses are at great pains to explain they must not be nursed on their fronts at home under any circumstances due to the risks. I was never told she must be in my room for six months.

Jemima had a severe bout of nappy rash, to a point it delayed her home coming by two weeks, and the nurse was nursing her exposed (with no nappy on), on her side so air could get to it, no urine/poo would lie on it etc. The lead consultant came in and went absolutely off it, the (senior) nurse in question was hauled over the coals in front of me and then sent home for the day! That's how seriously he took it, he said if it delayed her discharge then so be it. She was not to sleep anywhere but on her back, despite being observed 24 hours a day, one nurse to 4 babies.

Therefore, I think this is a very good posting AR. You're right, the focus seems always to be on the own room thing when, in fact, tummy sleeping poses far greater risk.

Well done also Hep for posting as it would be very easy to keep quiet if you feel judged. For me, my experiences have shaped me, as yours have you. I haven't walked a mile in your shoes and wouldn't pretend to have.

• Options

Lovely posting Hollywood.  I do love your final sentence and one that could always be worth remembering for us all.