Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Colouring hair

Hi ladies, I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are on whether or not it's safe to colour hair during pregnancy, especially early pregnancy? I've searched a bit but can't seem to find a definitive answer. I've had my hair highlighted using the foil-like mesh for as long as I can remember and I'm due to have it done again on Saturday but am slightly panicky about whether or not it's safe, what do you all think?

Replies

• Options

I had my hair done when i was around 6 or 7 weeks pregnant and was fine!  I think it's more about changes to your body mean that sometimes, the colour doesn't stick to your hair as well as it should if you weren't pregnant.  If you speak to your hair dresser and let them know, they can usually suggest what's best. :-)

• Options

I looked into this when pregnant and most of the info on the internet says highlights are ok as the dye doesn't actually touch your scalp. If in doubt best to wait till after 1st tri as baby is all developed by then.x

• Options

I've continued to have my hair coloured/highlighted during both my pregnancies. First time around the colour was applied directly to my scalp (the amount, if any, that would be absorbed into the body would be minimal from what I read) and then this time I've had it highlighted with foils. I even had it done during 1st tri before I found out I was pregnant.

• Options

Mine is done every 5 weeks and the hairdresser said it would be fine.

• Options

Thanks everyone, that's very reassuring. I'll mention it to my hairdresser just to make sure.

• Options
    I have an all over colour and kept it up whilst pregnant with my two. I would say it's ok but as others have said talk to your hair dresser if you have concerns x
  • Options

It's fine.  I checked with my hairdresser last time and she said that they used to say no due to the harsh chemicals used in the bleach (I'm talking 10 years ago!) but now it is fine as they stuff they use isn't toxic.  I had mine done all the way through last pregnancy, and will be during this one too.