Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Finger foods.

B is almost 8 months old and enjoying the odd finger food. However, I'm a tad confused about how big/small this should be! Fist size seems to be mentioned (I've tried this...eg. toasted pitta, cheese) but now I see pea sized crops up a lot. So am I doing it wrong? What's safest re. choking prevention? Any help and suitable examples welcomed :-)

Replies

• Options
    We do a lot of finger foods and like you, I make sure that they are more fist than pea size. Mostly for fear of choking but also to make it easy for E to grasp. I tend to cut anything that needs cutting into lengths as I was told to avoid anything round as round food can get stuck in the throat easier. For example, cherry tomatoes should be cut into fours rather than half. We haven't been doing finger foods for too long so am sure someone with more experience will be able to clarify further
  • Options

My HV told me to cut finger foods into finger shaped/sized chunks to make it easy for them to hold. As Ferbs says anything round increases the risk of proper choking (as opposed to just gagging or coughing which just means they are learning how to move food from the back of their throats) x

• Options

Thanks you two :-) I will carry on with the 'batons' and that kind of thing.