Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

First Mother's Day

This is my first Mother's Day as a mum, I wasn't even pregnant this time last year. I was quite looking forward to it, would have seen both mums the day before but spent the actual day with H and A.

But my dad rang to say my cousin, (at uni in Ireland, lives in Malaysia), will be in London on a 6-hour stopover on March 10th and wants to meet A, so to come over for lunch. Obviously I've said that's fine but there's a small selfish part of me that is hugely disappointed Sad

Ah well, it's only a day and H has the Monday off so we can do something then, maybe go for a nice quiet pub lunch or something Smile

Any other first-timers got any nice plans?

Replies

• Options

I think that it's understandable to have a bit of disappointment, but it will be nice to show A off to your cousin and you will be able to spend time with your H the next day.  Anyway, yours sounds much nicer than my first mother's day when I was laid up in bed with the flu! x

• Options

I can understand the slight disappointment but the Monday can make up for it.

This isn't my first mothers day, my third but H is so aware that this one had better be better than the last 2!!!!! The first year I only got a card, as H was ill for the 2 days before!! Apparantly it is natural to leave it to the last minute, although his Mum got me a mug.  Last year he made it obvious that he went to the supermarket the day before as he had forgotten.  To be honest I don't want loads of pressies etc but to know that some thought had gone into it would be nice!!  Anyhow this year, it's also my birthday as well but we will no doubt be the ones visiting my Mum and MIL so I don't think it will be quite how I would like it to be this time round either!  I live in hope one year that it will live up to expectations!!!

• Options

I think we will just do something with my mum. Tbh I'm not that bothered about it for me until H is older

• Options

Aww can understand the disappointment but will be nice to catch up with a relative you've not seen in a little while, and of course to show off A.

We just missed out on mother's day last year as I was about to pop with O, but TBH like others have said I'm looking forward to it more when O is a bit bigger and can make something for mother's day....to me, that is what these days is all about! A handmade card and a bunch of daffs!x

• Options

I think i'd be feeling the same Saisi! It's going to feel so strange being a mum this mothers day, we don't have any plans but i'm hoping H will remember i'm a mummy this year too. I'm looking forward to it as it'll be a novelty :)

• Options

First one here too and like you I wasn't pregnant last mothers day. Not too worried about presents, I just want h to remember and acknowledge I'm now a mummy. I'm a step mummy and before I met h I'd spent 5 yrs as a kind of step mummy so I feel like ive had many years of playing the part but watching other people get spoilt on mothers day. Now I'm an actual mummy there's no excuse! I'll be happy with just a card, and maybe some extra help that day. A nice meal cooked for me, in or out would be lovely.

Can see why you're disappointed, but I bet you'll have a nice day with your cousin too x

• Options

I think my first Mother's Day is going to be very disappointing. H has gone off on his travels and won't be back/have Internet access and won't have thought about it  in advance so its going to just be me and E.

I hope that you have a fab lunch with your family though and can do something at a later date.

• Options

LM I'm going to be with J on my own as well as H is off to the rugby, obviously not the same as your H but I'm sure we'll have a lovely day. Salsi, I would be a little disappointed too but Monday will be a nice day for the 3 of you x

• Options

If it helps, my first mothers day was pretty crap! H was living out here and arranged for flowers, chocolates and a card to be delivered  the day before- that was lovely. On the actual day, I walked into tow with E and we went to feed the ducks. It started peeing it down on my way home and I had no coat, no umbrella and got soaked. Then a big lorry past us and sprayed muddy water over us. Eventually got home, hot shower, cuddle with my baby girl before being invited to my sisters to share her mother's day. Every Mothers Day since has been like any other day as Sunday is a work day over here. I'd feel disappointed if I were you too. Perhaps A will make it better with a lovely present!

• Options

WhiteSparkles

Perhaps A will make it better with a lovely present!

Haha, I've already told H "if A doesn't get me a nice card he'll be out on the streets" Devil A did get me a nice birthday card last year which apparently he ordered off Moonpig "from inside your tummy" what a thoughtful foetus Laugh

• Options

Saisi

WhiteSparkles

Perhaps A will make it better with a lovely present!

Haha, I've already told H "if A doesn't get me a nice card he'll be out on the streets" Devil A did get me a nice birthday card last year which apparently he ordered off Moonpig "from inside your tummy" what a thoughtful foetus Laugh

Lol! I've reminded h that fathersday is in 3 months and the outcome of that day will depend on the outcome of mothers day! 

• Options

I did think that TSC as I could have told H in advance  but I'm not a fan of enforced presents, means nothing to me if he can't think of it himself. That said his/our credit card will be getting a battering...

• Options

I know exactly how you feel SS.

We normally divide Mothers Day between me and the two mums so I don't ever get to do anything with my children but this year it's been agreed that we'll see my mum on the Saturday and my MIL first thing on Sunday so I'll have the rest of the day with my little family. Both mums appreciate that I spent Christmas five days overdue, NY giving birth and my birthday a mess after giving birth four days before so I want to make more of MD this year.

I already know what I'm getting as I chose it - I hate surprises!