Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Gro egg?

Worth it? I would probably get a second hand one from ebay anyways (tight a*se icon) but now its getting colder I'd like something easier to read the temperature. Our monitor has a sensor but you have to have the receiver on too for it to work. Also, those that have one - is it possible to turn the lit up bit at the top off and just read the temperature screen? (does that make sense?) Isaac likes to sleep in a bat cave day and night and I know the light will distract him.

TIA!

Replies

• Options

i bought one for squish when they arrive. (ebay ) i think its worth is as its obvious when its too cold etc... dont think you can turn the light off though . there is a buttton to turn the whole thing off so i supose you could just check everynow and again

• Options

We have one and its so easy to judge the temp as the colour changes if its too hot/cold so you can see at a glance if its ok.  I don't think you can turn the glow off though as I think it only has 1 switch which is a reset button.  I love mine but while its not bright it's not the dimmest x

• Options

Hmm, that has put me off a bit - I've even seen some little toppers you can get for them which makes it look like an owl (which would match the nursery) so I'm still lusting after one... But I know the light would put him off. Maybe it's something to think about when he's a little older. Thanks for the info ladies.

• Options

I wouldn't be without mine - it's been fab all summer and winter so far (in Summer months our baby monitor couldn't cope with extremes and just said  HI, so the groegg reassured me and was sooo much more accurate!). Although the light is on IMO it isn't overly bright, and if you could put it somewhere out of sight so wouldn't bother him? O's cotbed has closed ends so his is behind one of these ends x

• Options

Good thinking Coco, I am very tempted and they have fab reviews! I could probably hide it out of sight when he moves to his own room, and whilst hes in with me I might be able to hide it somewhere... We have a fan on for white noise, and although its under his crib and doesn't let out much air as its on its side - I still worry about it getting chilly in the early hours. I think he probably would sleep with it on but I'm paranoid to rock the boat lol.

• Options

Have you got an iPod? You can download a white noise app which just plays soft waves or trees etc, be cheaper than running a fan x

• Options

I know what you mean....any changes to O's bedtime routine and I'm a nervous wreck, worried he is going to wake through the night! Haha!

• Options

I bought a Gro Egg yesterday and I already think it's fab! It's on offer in mothercare now, can't remeber how much I paid though, we also have the owl top. I don't think it's too bright, as others have said you could easily put it somewhere out of the way.

• Options

I've got a Gro Egg too, I've tried it out and my daughter liked keeping watch on whether the room was too hot or cold.

• Options

Coco

I wouldn't be without mine - it's been fab all summer and winter so far (in Summer months our baby monitor couldn't cope with extremes and just said  HI, so the groegg reassured me and was sooo much more accurate!). Although the light is on IMO it isn't overly bright, and if you could put it somewhere out of sight so wouldn't bother him? O's cotbed has closed ends so his is behind one of these ends x

this x

• Options

Thanks girls. I'm regretting my decision now as I've gone with the babymoov thermometer - products.babymoov.eu/thermo-hygrometer.html But I can always send it back and get the gro egg. I'd like to see one in person though first I think to judge the brightness.

I don't have an iPod for the white noise app, but I have an iphone and did used to use a similar app during his naps, but it ran my battery down. I might have to invest in a white noise machine. (this kid is costing me a fortune lol) We do have a slumber bear but its the constant noise I need.