Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How important is it to have a life outside being a mum?

2»

Replies

• Options

Totally normal. My first was a bottle refuser and fed every 2 hours so I could never have time off. I had to go on a speed awareness course when she was 8 months old so I had 6 hours away and that was the longest I'd left her. She was fine (thanks to lots of yoghurt!) and my boobs didn't quite explode...

Four years on and that's a distant memory. I'm not belittling how tough it is (it is HARD WORK!) but it does get easier and tbh in the grand scheme of things 8 or 9 months isn't a huge amount of time out of your life. Much easier to say looking back on it!

I do think you should be able to extend your 'time off' quite soon and quite considerably though - by 9 months both of mine were down to 3 boob feeds per day and one of these could be substituted with a yoghurt if necessary on occasion (mine wouldn't even do the sippy cup thing for milk).

You've done an incredible job so far - please do take time to step back and congratulate yourself as it's a huge achievement.

• Options

I think it depends on your situation and how happy you to leave.  I've got to go back to work next week and leave 10 month old E. She's only been away from me for the odd 2 hours,  less than 10 times,  just because it's only me,  H and E here.  So here it is unrealistic,  because I won't leave her elsewhere and don't have anyone else iyswim.  I've also been out with H plenty though,  we take E for dinner regularly. This week though I've left her with the CM and I've missed her every single second..

EtA: I guess what I'm trying to say is, I have to make the most of what I've got. It doesn't matter what I do or where I go, IMO I'm always mom now,  because I chose to have kids.  There is plenty of time in my day for me.. couple of hours nap,  couple of hours after E sleeps before I go to bed. What's important is I make the most of that time.. not spend my evening me time, doing mom stuff iyswim. I'm not sure I'm getting my point across but I'm trying to say,  I've sort of accepted there is a new me now? And most of the new me is my life evolving round E.. any time when she doesn't need me,  is my time to rekindle what I can of pre E life...