Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How long did you keep your child rear facing?

2»

Replies

• Options

2.5 yrs old for Zoe.  Would have stayed longer but we were in a car crash and they would only pay out what we had paid for the seat (£250) but the seats had gone up in price due to the launch of a new model and as MrJB was out of work we just simply couldn't afford to cover the difference.  

We are lucky that there is a stockist of rear facing seats here so they are much more widely used, in our NCT group of 8 of us there were 5 who stayed rear facing for stage 1 and one who turned FF at 9 mths.

• Options

*Carole*

Luke was 12 months and just over 8kg. we didn't have an infant Rear facing seat as he had lived in hospital until then. When he was ready for discharge we went out and bought a  stage 1 seat Maxi Cosi Priori.  It's one of my little regrets that we never got to carry him out of hospital in a little car seat :(

Hug

• Options

A (9 months) still has about an inch to go until he reaches the top of his Cabriofix, then we plan to get the Britax Dualfix.  One of the girls from our NCT group has just got the Dualfix (after my H told me off for 'preaching about rearfacing"!!), but everyone else we know has moved their kids into FF. My cousin moved her little boy before 9 months as he was happier.

• Options

He's 2.5 (today!) and still rear facing in the Britax 2 way elite.  Not sure when I'll turn him around tbh.

• Options

Thanks ladies

I find it really interesting because it is talked about on here there seems to be a far higher proportion of extended rear facers than amoung people I know in real life.

I don't think the knew guidelines or the benefits of extended rear facing are well publicised at all.

I think we have another few weeks in the pebble then H and I will have a look, We have discovered that we can eturn the pearl for up to a year if unused so we may swap it for the 2 way pearl and bite the bullet and pay for the base t go with it, that said I like the look of the Britax two way seat as well.

• Options

The good thing with the dualfix is that it rotates to the door so really easy to get baby in and out, whereas i think the pearl is fixed in either forward or rear facing?

• Options

Apologies in advance for my stupidity but where do the legs go on older children if they are rear facing? Wouldn't they have to cross them to fit? Surely they'd get cramp sitting like that for hours :/  I completely agree with rear-facing seats and keeping babies/toddlers in them as long as possible but I'm struggling to see how a 3/4 yr old sits in one!

• Options

We had the BeSafe Izi Combifix and it sits slightly away from the back of the carseat so there is some space but to be honest Zoe always sat with her legs crossed, in fact she still does now she's in a high back booster.  Never had any complaints from her about it being uncomfortable.  I'll see if I can find a photo but I don't think I have one when she is older.

• Options

The gallery on Rear Facing Toddlers is excellent: www.rearfacingtoddlers.com/gallery.html