Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is 8 months too old for baby massage?

Having put Hs name doen at birth for baby massage classes we've finally got a place. But it's right before our swimming class so I'm wondering if its worth it at his age? He's constantly in the move and won't sit still so not sure it would work. I really fancied it when he was a baby but worry he's too old now - any thoughts?

Replies

• Options

Hmm. I didn't do baby massage, but also really wanted to. I think E wouldn't have enjoyed a class at that age, but does like it when I rub her lotion in after a bath. This Babycentre article is quite nice, with step by step strokes you can do, perhaps give it a go and see how he goes? www.babycentre.co.uk/.../how-to-massage-your-baby

• Options

Definitely way too old for him but you could still learn if they'll let you go along..

I took E at 19 weeks,  she'd just started crawling,  it was the longest hour of motherhood so far and I cried afterwards.  I spent the whole session chasing her around while all the other babies,  including those her age,  lay there being massaged.  That said this is based on my experience with E who is really active,  won't lay on her back for a nappy change let alone a 1.5hour session!

• Options

I have just finished with S at 5 months and she was at the top age for my liking.  Most of the massage had to be done with her sitting up whilst all the other babies lay still.  Not very easy and she got bored quickly.

• Options

There's no way my 2 would have laid there for it at that age, L would have crawled away!

• Options

I wouldnt recommend it for that age x

• Options

I wouldn't bother at 8 months either

• Options

O would still be good if I took him but that's because he's used to it. There were a few older babies last time I took him but they were constantly on the move and the mum's did still do it but had to improvise and stand them up, sit them on laps etc.