Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

maternity clothes

morning everyone,

this is my first pregnancy and i am just wondering when others started to buy/wear maternity clothes/bras? 

my jeans have started to get a little tight but im only 8 weeks, 9 weeks tomorrow. 

are maternity bras all non wired? 

anyone's advice/experiences would be great! 

Thanks, Ducky_17 x 

Replies

• Options

I had to buy jeans quite early on.  At 12 weeks my jeans wouldn't fasten and I bought maternity ones as soon as I'd had my scan!  I lasted a lot longer without maternity tops as mine just fit over the bump for a while, although I think by 20 weeks all my stuff was maternity.  Especially work clothes.

I carried on wearing wired bras until quite late, but did get measured regularly as my size changed. I was wearing non-wired ones by the end though as they were comfier, although they took a while to get used to.  Its the thing I'm looking forward to most about stopping BFing - wearing wired bras!!

• Options

I'm still in wired bras now and I'm comfy. There's no way I could wear non wired. Although I will when I'm feeding. 1st pregnancy I didn't wear maternity clothes til 24/25 weeks this time around I was around 16/17 weeks

• Options

I was in maternity trousers very early. I wore a lot of leggings and dresses. My tops fitted until about 15 weeks. My theory is you'll have to buy maternity clothes... Might as well start early and be comfy!

• Options

If you want to hold off slightly longer, you can use the bauble trick - thread a hair bauble through the buttonhole and loop over the button - wear with long top, voila, an extra few inches round the waist!

I went into mat clothes pretty much the day after our 12 wk scan this time, last time was a bit longer but I could get away with it last time.

I bought wired bras at the mo (17 wks)

• Options

I bloated quite early and started to struggle with clothes. I have found H&M's basic range great as its all quite stretchy. still wear a lot of their stuff now instead of maternity clothes!

• Options

When my spouse was 12 weeks pregnant she had started wearing maternity clothes. As normal clothing started getting tight. After pregancy also she continued with these clothing till 3 weeks.