Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Newborn photo shoot

I'm having photos taken of M and E on Monday morning. I know M will have a few naked nappy shots but what should I dress him in for other photos? What about Es outfit?! Is a colour better than black or white, should they coordinate?! Help! 

Replies

• Options

Personally, i'm not a fan of co-ordinated outfits (I blame my mom, who put me in a salior dress and my brother in a sailor suit for our photos as a kid), so i'd go for non-clashing but not necessarily the same colours in full - just a hint of each to tie in etc.

When E has hers, we've some in her nappy, some in my favourte vest of hers (mostly white, some red and navy), some in a pretty red dress and some in a plain white babygrown (the woman specifically asked me to bring the white babygrow).

H wore a white polo with Chinos (I tried to persuade him not to wear white, as E would blend in, but you know men..) and I wore mostly navy dress with a few red bits.

• Options

I'd just put them in the things you like them wearing, don't worry too much about what it is. Colour wise I'd imagine it depends on the backgrounds as well?

• Options

Thanks both! Will def do some in a white babygrow. I think I'll just pick a selection of outfits I like and see what the photographer suggests too.

• Options

When J had his we had some in just a hat and some with his favourite blanket which were nice. I agree on the co-ordinating outfits, not a fan so would just go with favourite outfits for them both

• Options

Pinterest is awesome for inspiration - pinterest.com/.../newborn where are you going to put the photos afterwards? Do the colours in the pictures matter to you? If not just keep the outfits simple - and cute!

If he's having nudey shots then keep his clothes and nappy loose and no socks to prevent marks on his skin.

• Options

Depending on the photographer they may use a variety of backgrounds - I use cream, black and then anything the parents have brought with them (blankets etc).  

For newborns I tend to do naked, something fairly plain and neutral (sleepsuit or similar) and often a couple more outfits too.  When advising parents regarding outfits the main thing I say is to choose outfits that you love. If the shoot is at my studio I also ask people to bring along a couple of special toys, blankets or accessories (if we're at their home all that is to hand). I have various props of my own, but it's nice when the stuff in the pictures means something to you.

Enjoy! And don't worry if you don't feel the kids are playing ball. You'll be surprised at what a photographer can achieve - just relax and enjoy the experience :)