Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Telling people

When did you/ do you plan on telling people?

I am currently just over 10 weeks. We have a scan next Friday (at EPU) where I will be just shy of 12. We are going to tell H's kids afterwards.

The Nuchal isn't until I'm nearly 14 weeks and neither H or I want to wait that long.

So far, a few friends of mine and our bosses know, as well as our parents, but that's all. We haven't told Siblings, cousins etc. I've said I wont be doing a FB thing until at least 20 weeks, if at all.

Just curious as to when you shared your news....

Replies

• Options

Given your history, it makes sense that you want to wait to tell the masses.  We made an announcement on FB after our 12 week scan.  We told our parents and immediate family pretty soon after finding out. a small group of friends were told before 12 weeks, and the rest were told via FB.  I think the next time though i won't be announcing it on FB at all, and we'll wait a bit longer to tell people as I feel we missed out on having our own wee secret the first time.

• Options

With Isaac maybe 16ish weeks, this time after I'd got all the results back from the nuchal, so about 2-3 weeks after my nuchal scan.

I only told work this time as I was struggling to avoid people with rashes or tbh I wouldn't have told them for ages, I kind of did an announcement on fb as I was totally sick of people asking if I was still doing slimming world (obv id ballooned), never really had an issue keeping schtum really, went on holiday with my mum at 11 weeks and shed no clue and just thought I'd put on weight. Sol knew about 8/9 weeks as I had a huge bleed and 1 friend knew again due to the bleed. Tbf my h didn't know last time and this time for a few days Laugh

• Options

I am quite enjoying it being our secret, but at the same time  I want to talk about it!

• Options

TRF - my H didn't know for a day either cos he was working away and I wasn't able to speak to him! I was going to wait til he got home but I couldn't and ended up telling him over the phone. However it was less 'I'm pregnant yayyyyy' and more 'ah man, here we go again :/'

• Options

We kept it too ourselves for 2 weeks then told parents and sisters when we were 6 weeks gone. I told my boss at 6 weeks for similar reasons to TRF, everyone else after the 12 week scan. I never did a FB announcement so even now that he is 10 months if I bump into old friends its quite a suprise lol

• Options

Yes with Isaac I said to him o Iv done a test, it's positive and in the bathroom if you want a look and he said no it was fine then said 'how long do you reckon before this one goes *** up!' , with this baby I was terrified to tell him as he'd just started a new job with much more responsibility and didn't want him stressing, I said what's the worst thing I could tell you right now and he asked if I'd smashed his car up Weep I then told him, he said ok and just stared for ages Laugh, he's always been vvvvv positive about this pregnancy though, not so much last time. I was ready to kill him as he'd always just day 'Iv got a good feeling this time' I'd be like o well that's fine, the nuchal and anomaly will be fine as you have 'a feeling' lol

• Options

I told a couple of close friends early on, our parents after the 12 week scan and then the news filtered out. I told my boss after my scan but actually held off telling most of my team for another week or so. I didn't put anything on Facebook until after the 20 week scan.

I must admit I was desperate to tell everyone as I'm rubbish as keeping secrets/lying but once everyone knew I missed it being our secret!

• Options

We didn't share our news with anyone other than immediate family until I was around 25 weeks.

People knew but I was so up and down emotionally that I didn't want to talk about being pregnant. People could obviously see I was pregnant but no one said anything to me for fear of upsetting me, I think.

It's exciting news though and you should share it if you want to.x

• Options

Noodle my neighbour asked who the baby was when Isaac was about a week old Laugh, also I was 32 weeks and saying about going on mat leave in 3 weeks and the receptionist at work was v confused (although I was huge so she must've thought I'd piled on the lard lol

• Options

I am only 6+4 but PIL know as do our siblings. My sis was visiting and I said I wouldn't tell her but if she guessed I wouldn't lie. She didn't guess on the Friday but did Saturday afternoon. We then told H's brother and sister. I am telling my parents on Friday when I see them in person. Our neighbours know too as we are going camping together and were discussing food/drink etc. to take. As for friends I may have to tell some this weekend as I am her bridesmaid next June and she wants to order dresses. She is 17 weeks herself so will understand not knowing what size I want etc. I think if she picks a dress I'll order a 16 and if my some miracle I'm a 12 again get it altered.

• Options

I was rehearsing for panto when we found out, so the very first person I told was the choreographer when I was about 4.5 weeks as he needed to revise some of my routines. We then told our best friends at around 5.5 weeks as we were going round for dinner and I would always have had a glass of wine, even if I was driving. We had to tell parents and siblings on Christmas Day because I'm a big boozer and there's no way I could have hidden it. Sent a text to close friends after the 12 week scan. Everybody else found out by word of mouth. We didn't do a FB post at all because neither of us are big FB posters.

• Options

We told immediate family on the day of the Nuchal, and then told everyone else as and when we seen them. Sometimes I had to make specific plans to see someone so I could tell them, as we are planning to start mentioning it on FB after the 20 week scan and would hate for someone close to find out via FB. I was happy for extended family to find out through others, so my gran told my aunt and uncle, that kind of thing.

• Options

We didn't even tell our parents until after the nuchal scan.. Didn't wait for results, though, as the measurement was so small and at 29 yrs old I knew the results were likely to be really low risk based on those two pieces of information.  We told all family in person or via FaceTime/skype, then friends as and when we saw them.  Fb announcement wason Christmas Day when I was about 17 weeks, but if it hadn't been a play on our name we probably wouldn't have even done a fb announcement!

I had told a friend and my sister right away, though, because they were both pregnant, too, and I wanted at least a couple people to talk to about it!

• Options

I told immediate family and my best friend within a few days, everyone else after the 12 week scan. Lots of people had guessed anyway though, I was showing pretty majorly by 8 weeks!

• Options

I'll ring my mum following my 12 week scan and the rest of the world will know within around 30 minutes!

• Options

We told our closest friends around 7 weeks, mums and siblings at 4 weeks, then no one else until 12 wk scan and nuchal result.

If we get pregnant again we'll probably keep it a bit quieter.

• Options

Last time was IVF so all family/close friends knew at the 2 week mark!!

This time it was such a shock (very unexpected, natural conception) that we told parents the night I did the test, and told my sister the next day.  We had no idea how many weeks I was (still breastfeeding), so had a quick scan booked by the midwife to find out the following week.  Told my SIL after the scan, when we found out I was 9 weeks, told our best friends over the following two weeks, then everyone else after the 12 week scan.  

Did a post on facebook last week at 16 weeks as we'd told everyone that we wanted to tell in person by then.

• Options

We've told my parents and the inlaws already, which was at 5 weeks ish and I've also told my 2 best friends. I'm having an early private scan at 8 weeks, so I'll probably tell siblings and a few other family members after that and then everyone else after the 12 week scan. Won't be doing a facebook post until later on, if at all.

• Options

We only told immediate family and very close friends after the 12 week nuchal results.

We didn't announce to anyone else, just told them as we saw them. We really tried tj avoid people until after 20 weeks as I was convinced something would be wrong again. Even then I kept wanting to get to the next "milestone" so I'd tell people after 24 weeks, then 28 weeks. In the end there were lots of people we didn't tell at all!