Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What car seat for a big 2.5 year old

E is 2 and a half, and weighs in at 2stone 7lb, which is just over 15kg if I've done my maths correctly (or rather the google convertor has worked properly).  Mum was saying that she could do with another car seat for her car, so was going to get one.  But I aren't sure which.

Looking online, it says that these kind are suitable for 15kg + but they also say from approx. 4 years.

http://www.mothercare.com/Graco-Junior-Maxi-Highback-Booster-Car-Seat---Scarlett/717080,default,pd.html

Now I know E is big for her age, she's pretty much the same height as my cousin who is actually four years old, but to me she seems to young to be going into a seat with just a seat belt restraint.

Would she be better with this kind of thing

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Malmo-Highback-Booster-Car-Seat/395356,default,pd.html

Replies

• Options

I got the Britax Evolva 123 for A at a similar age. Meant she still had a harness until 18kg. Mothercare told me that although they have to be 15kg for a seatbelt they should be at least 3 if possible - something to do with their bones although I havent heard anyone else give that advice. Hot UK deals had the evolva on it cheap the other day, can't rememberwhich sstore though

• Options

Id avoid the graco, im sure its on the which dobt buy report. We moved A to the 123 at about 3yrs  x

• Options

I'd be more inclined to go for the Britax Evolva 123, or maybe the Kiddy seats (although they're a bit more costly) - I don't think I'd go for a HBB at that age.

What seat is she currently in in your Mum's car?

• Options

WAllyS, I'd go for something which converts from a harness to a HBB at 18kg. Joshua moved to a HBB with seatbelt at 18kg, which was just over 3 for him so that 3kg made an important difference.

I also saw a new seat in Mothercare the other day which claimed you could use the harness to 25kg - think it was a Britax, will have a look and see if I can find it on their website.

• Options

She's in this at the moment.  

www.toysrus.co.uk/.../Comfort-Plus-Car-Seat-in-Black-Carmin(0093687)

It says she is ok until 18kg, so weight wise she's ok, but it probably wouldn't last long, so she needs something that will last her until she's a bit older.

I'll take a look at the Britax, thanks.

• Options

This is the one I saw, didn't get a good look at it but might be worth a glance:

www.mothercare.com/.../xtensafix-landing-page,default,pg.html

• Options

Thanks Margot

• Options

Britax Evolva for us too.  Zoe grew out of her carseat height wise at the age of 3.5 but I was under the 15kg so couldn't go in a high back booster so we went for the Evolva, meant we could keep her in the harness until the maximum weight (18kg) and it grew heightwise to suit up to 11 yrs.   It has been perfect for us and have no regrets.  The only slight downside is that now she uses it as a HBB I have to remember to strap it back in when she gets out as it isn't isofix so can slide around when not belted in.