Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Why do babies cry with different people

The in laws came over this morning and every time H's mum held Ben he cried, she tried holding him different ways etc but he just kept getting very upset, how long do I leave him crying while being held by them? he just seemed to get more upset about it. I put him on his playmat and he was happy smiling away but she tried to hold him at various times while they were here and he cried every time after about 10 seconds. Development wise he's 6 weeks corrected, I didn't think babies minded who held them at this point

Replies

• Options

I don't know the reason but lots of babies are like this! I don't know if it's a smell thing perhaps? Did she have strong perfume on maybe?

• Options

not that I noticed but she could've done, he's still like it with H quite alot aswell, yet we took him to our neighbours a few days ago and he didn't cry once! Just trying to keep us on our toes!

• Options

Funny things these babies aren't they?! I always feel really guilty for the poor person they cry with though!

• Options

I did feel quite bad because he'd been so happy and everyone she gave him back he stopped crying in a second

• Options

A cries with my grandma, but I think it's because he likes to be held upright and walked around and she is 70-something and arthritic so sits down to hold him and lies him down which he hates. I feel bad for her as she adores him, but I will take him back off her if he cries as firstly I don't think it's fair on him to be in such obvious discomfort and secondly no-one else wants to hear a crying baby. As soon as I or someone else takes him he does stop crying which again I feel bad about but there's nothing to be done except wait for him to get less 'fussy'.

It could be perfume or some other smell he doesn't like, perhaps something about her hands holding him, who knows.

Sometimes if he is in a good enough mood we'll put his playmat on the sofa and put him on it and let her play with him there.

• Options

E used to cry on all of our visitors. It was embarrassing! It's just what some babies do. M is completely different, he's anybody's!!

• Options

Not had this with either of mine, but my nephew would always cry when I held him. It's like he knew I was being made to hold him, and didn't feel comfortable.

• Options

A won't settle for my MIL.  Ever!  What makes it worse if she's here at the same time as my mum, as he settles for her no problem.

Not sure what the difference is, as they are both calm with him, will both walk round/sit down as necessary, so not sure what the difference is.