Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

20 week scan.

Found out at my 20 week scan that the baby's kidneys has a bit more fluid in them than they usually see and I have been referred for a more detailed scan. Has anybody else had this problem whilst having a scan as I'm so worried it could be something serious?! Thankyou 

Replies

• Options

May sound like an unrelated question but do you know if you are having a girl or a boy?

• Options

They think I'm having a boy they said if there is something wrong with the kidneys there isn't anything they can do til it's born which is why I'm so worried. 

• Options

Now I know it's a boy I know what they'll say to you at your next scan. They will take the measurements again and they will tell you that yes there is still more or no there isn't but they will most likely scan you at regular intervals to check them. They'll say that there could be a problem with his kidneys and they will do tests when he's born or it could be that his foreskin a bit too tight and that is causing some of the urine to stay in the kidneys as he's struggling to pass it passed the tight foreskin. If it is that they'll be able to tell when he is born and they will probably advice he is circumsised. 

• Options

Thanks for the advice I did read online something about this I just didn't want it to be something that could be life threatening. So hopefully it is something that can be sorted out :-) 

• Options

hi,

i  find out this week that the baby lung are a bit smaller than usual and i have booked for another detailed scan but they told me it was nothing to be worrying about,  i tend to believe that they know what they talking about and there is not point to worry urself too much. 

soz i dont have an answer to ur problem.

but dont worry too much until you have the scan.

• Options

Fingers crossed for you hun. I know how worried you must be. The doctor will explain everything in the scan and you will be carefully monitored over the course of your pregnancy. Unfortunately it's only possible to really know for sure once he's born 

• Options

Thankyou I should be hearing from them some time next week and hopefully it's positive :-) 

• Options

Let me know how it goes. Good luck