Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

advise on sweeps!!

hi,
my midwife has said she will do a sweep in 2 wks (my due date) but i just wanted to know what your experiences were like..............did you end up having a longer or shorter labour?
did you go straight away or did nothing happen?
and if you've had more children was it any different to your 'normal' labour?

michelle xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi i had a sweep done but nothing happen. I had a bit of stomach pain afterwards and a bit of a show but a couple of days later it all disappeared.
  • Options
    Hi michelle, everyone i know who had a sweep nothing happened! they seem to be rather pointless
  • Options
    I had a sweep done with my second baby. I had some cramps afterwards then went into labour the next morning.
    I was in labour for 18 hours!!! (shorter than first baby - 29 hours)
  • Options
    Hi Michelle,

I had my 1st sweep at 39 weeks & had another at 40. When the midwife done the 2nd one she was able to tell by the thickness of my cervix that I might have the baby before monday (the sweep was done on the friday) It was uncomfortable but not painful & I didnt have any pain afterwards.

I think from what I have heard from others who have had them done it all depends on how good the midwife is that gives it as to how effective it is. I think it helped get me going but I suppose you can never be sure that I wouldnt have gone the same without it.

I dont know if it makes any difference to the actual birth coz I've nothing to compare it to but I had a natural birth with water as pain relief.

I'll be begging my midwife to give me another one as soon as she will this time round though

Hilary x
  • Options
    hi, everyone i know who had a sweep went in2 labour within 24hrs but wen i had one done at 41 weeks nothin happened, i think it will only happen if ur body is ready so u never know. x
  • Options
    ok thanks girls, i think it's just one of those things that you never know, i'll have to try the other options in the meantime!!! xxx
  • Options
    ok this might sound really stupid but what exactly do the mw do when you have a sweep i'm pregnant with my first and i'm bricking it well and truely! i have no idea what's gonna happen at all and i'm one of those people who likes to have some idea of whats gonna happen even if its just very general! i know everyones diffrent but i'm getting really scared the closer its getting now i'm 29 weeks and 3 days i know i've got a few more weeks but i'm just gettin myself more and more worked up about it! it kinda doesn't help that the father isn't here either i'm so scared!

• Options
    Hi, my best friend and sister-in-law both had painful sweeps and started labour straight away and both baby's born that day.
    I had a painful sweep at 9am contractions started at midday on the same day (Friday) but was still only 5cm on the Monday, had to have section in the end.
    I think everyone is just so different.
    Good luck xxx
  • Options
    it's so much for me but my mw has recommended it as my baby is expected to be quite big and so she said she will do a sweep so i don't go overdue and get any bigger!!
    she said my baby is cooked now!!! lol xx