Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Low lying Placenta

Hi all

I had my 20 week scan about 10 days ago & the sonographer noted in my scan that I have a low lying placenta but that was all that was said. This is my 5th pregnancy and will be my 5th c-section and have never had low lying placenta before. I did see my consultant after the scan but he didn't discuss the placenta but said to call the hosp if I have any bleeding as I keep getting period like pains.

can anyone help? Should I be doing anything different or can I get on as normal?
Thanks everyone and you all take care.
Zoe

Replies

• Options
    From what I have read and heard about a low lying placenta, if it stays in that position it blocks your birth canal so you will require a c-section but I think you said you were having one already. It can cause bleeding, you are more at risk of bleeding with intercourse. to make certain of any special precautions I would recommend that you see your midwife. As I say From what I have read as well a low lying placenta can cause placenta previa, so I would consult your midwife as I say these are only things I have read about.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Thanks Lollylou. I have found a couple articles on it and think its best if I go and chat to my mw as I think I'll just end up scaring myself if I read anything else!!
    Thanks again & take care
  • Options
    Hi Zoe,
    I'm currently 26 wks into my 1st pregnancy and was told I had a low lying placenta at my 20 wk scan. From what I can tell from research and from the fab person who did my scan, the majority of placentas move out of the way in time for labour as alot of movement takes place before then. A small % of mum's placentas don't move, in which case you have to have a c-section as the placenta is in the way of the 'exit' route for baby. If it doesn't move, you may experience bleeding in the last trimester, sometimes very heavy (can be serious worst case), so you need to seek guidance if this occurs. Other than that, there's no harm to you or baby. You should have been offered another scan at around 36 weeks (possibly earlier) to check whether the placenta is still 'in the way'. If it is, you will be booked in for the c-section. Other than the bleeding there's nothing to worry about, from what I can see, and there's nothing you can do to change the outcome....just keep your fingers crossed that it's moved at your next scan :\)
    Hope that helps and good luck.
    Sam
  • Options
    Thank Sam. I'll be having a c-section anyway because of previous c-sections. I have been told to contact the hospital immediately if I have any bleeding.
    Were you told to avoid heavy lifting or anything as I have read some things should be avoided?
    Take care
    Zoe
  • Options
    I wasn't told to avoid heavy lifting but am v. glad you mentioned it 'cos I'm moving house next week and was expecting to do some amount of lifting...think I'll research into this a bit more! If I hear anything that might be helpful to you along the way, I'll post away. Take care. Sam