Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Confused over dates after early scans

Hi ladies,
I wondered if anyone had any experience of confusion over dates with scans in the first trimester?

I've had two scans, two weeks apart following some spotting. I had the 2nd yesterday, they found the heartbeat straight away which was great news, and said it was showing good progression since the last scan where they say the sac and yolk. The sonographer dated me at 6+6, making me 6+7 today.

According to my LMP, I am 8+1 today, however, I think I ov'd late last month due to ov pains and cm.
If I go by my suspected ov date I am 7+4.
Hence the confusion with me being 6+6 on the scan.

6+6/7 just seems to be too early considering when I ov'd, when we BD'd (i know the date of the last time) and when I got my BFP.

Does anyone know if this is normal for such an early scan? Maybe different beans grow at different rates? I'm not too worried as I know there was good progression between the two scans and a heartbeat is very reassuring, but I was wondering if the 12 week one will be more accurate?

Does anyone have any experience of this?
Thanks so much
Lou x

Replies

• Options
    scans before 10-12weeks are not very accuarate usually which is why they leave the dating scans until between 10-14weeks, because before then if they measure just half a mm out it can change ur dates considerably. this time round i ahd 3 early scans due to bleeding, all of which gave me a different due date from each other and from my lmp, the first of which was 2 weeks different! when i had my dating scan at 13 weeks tho it only changed my edd by 2 days different from lmp. ignore the dates given to u from these early scans and just work from ur lmp until u have ur dating scan around 12weeks. hth xx
  • Options
    As WoW Baby said, scans early on can be less accurate. I had 3 early private scans (slightly obsessive I do realise!) and each one dated me differently, and my final date ended up being 6 days later than the original scan.

If you ovulated later then that can make a difference to the date obviously, and implantation can take anywhere from 5 to 12 days so that can add to the variation.

The Drs/midwifes will date you based on your LMP unless your 12 week scan is 7 days out either way.

Kat xx
  • Options
    Thanks WoW Baby, that's really reassuring. I hope to get my 12 week scan date soon as I see the midwife for the first time on Friday. x
  • Options
    Hi Loobylou

I think I may have wrote about my early scan in DIF, I had a scan at 7+4 and I was dated 6+2 by the measurements so straight away I worried why the baby wasn't the right size but lots of women on here have reassured me that it's common for the dates to be wrong until your 12 week scan.

xx
  • Options
    Hi image I have just had the same thing as you, although yours is a much bigger difference than mine. My inital EDD from my last period was 1st Feb 9 wks + 1, I went for an early scan today & they said I'm due 27th Jan 9 wks + 6, but that doesn't seem to work out from when my last period started! I'm guessing the baby is just measuring bigger @ the moment, or like Wow Baby said, it's not that accurate yet as it would be on the 12 week one. I'll soon find out I guess! I suppose mines only a difference of 5 days, so I'm not that confused ha xx