Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Feeling Your Baby Move

Hi evevryone this is my 2nd pregnancy & I'm 17wks gone, however I'm starting to get alittle worried as I haven't relly felt any movements, I don't know wether I'm getting a little ahead of myself but when I was pregnant with my son I'm sure as i'd felt something by this point.
I was just wondering if any of you ladies could tell me when you first felt you'r babies move.
Thanx alot cu soon. xx

Replies

• Options
    Hello

I felt movement by 19weeks
  • Options
    it depends what way the baby is sitting. if it is facing your back then you wont feel any kicking at all. some people don't feel movement throughout their pregnancy.
  • Options
    I felt my baby at 17/18 weeks and that was my first baby.

If you are concerned speak to your MW
  • Options
    I'm 27 weeks pregnant for the first time and didn't feel baby move 'til about the 21/22nd week. I'd already been for my scan and felt quite low when the consultant aked me if I had felt anything and I had to say no. Now it's moving around like a thing possessed!
  • Options
    i asked about movements at my last antenatal and they said between 18 - 22 weeks, i thought it would of been sooner this is my 3rd and im 17wks now was sure i felt movement much earlier with my other 2
  • Options
    This is my first baby and I was getting worried as I hadn't felt the baby move by my 20 wk scan so was getting convinced something was wrong even told them I thought I had a legless baby!!! But boy wasn't it kicking well on the scan I just wasn't feeling it. Finally felt it move at 21+6.

Was told not to worry as it all depends on how the baby is lying and where your placenta is. If the placenta is on the front wall of the uterus then it cushions all the early kicks. It also depends on your weight and whether the uterus is tipped backwards (retroverted).

Don't worry too much but if you are concerned ask the midwife to check you over. Listening to the heartbeat relaxed me.

Good luck
    Nicole and 23wk Splodge
  • Options
    im nearly 19 weeks with my 3rd and have just started to feel movements
  • Options
    i started feeling my baby at around 17 weeks! im now 29 weeks! i wouldnt worry maybe you dont feel them because your to busy! try stroking your bump lying comfortable that seem to work for me! good luck
  • Options
    Hi Bekki, I too am 17 weeks (+2) and haven't felt any movement yet. A friend is a week ahead of me and felt her baby at just over 18 weeks. Like everyone has been saying it depends on the babies position. I'm so looking forward to feeling it though.
    MW says it feels like a flutter but can anyone tell me what a flutter feels like??!! This is my first and i've no idea what its going to feel like!!
  • Options
    I have been wondering what it feels like too. i am 18 weeks today and for the past week I ahve been feeling a kind of soft kicking just above my pubic bone. it feels like a muscle twitching but softer. is this baby kicking or could it just be a muscle twitching?
  • Options
    Thanks for that reply Sara. its going to annoy the life out of my partner cause he really wants to feel it as well. he will just have to wait a bit longer
  • Options
    HIa,
    I'm 19 weeks and i first felt what i think was the baby moving at 17 weeks, since then, there are days go by that i don't feel it move. Sometimes i think it is the baby, but sometimes it could be my dinner going down! LOL! haven't felt proper kicks yet. and still haven't heard heartbeat so can be worrying. i have faith that everything is fine though, well try to anyway.
  • Options
    I didnt quite know what to expect as this is my first pregnancy. Am nearly 23 weeks now and only really started to feel my baby about 2/3 weeks ago. I certainly didn't feel anything around 17 weeks so don't you be worrying!!!
  • Options
    My friend has recently given birth, she didn't feel movements till after 20 weeks as the baby was mostly kicking the placenta.With my 1st child I felt the movements about week 19. If you are worried I would speak to your midwife.

Heather (6+0)