Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

OSCAR Scan

Has anyone had one?? I have had friends have the OSCAR scan and say they would every time, I know it depends mainly on how you would act on the results but I am keen to hear from anyone who has had one and their thoughts?

Also, does paying for this privately which will be around the 12 week mark mean that I will not get the standard NHS 12 weeks scan?

Thanks ladies xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Claire

The scan is more commonly known as the Nuchal scan and it tests for Downs and Edwards syndrome.

It works by measuring the fluid at the back of the babys neck and combined with blood test markers, gives you a more accurate result and percentage risk than a standard triple blood test done on the NHS.

SOME PCT's offer a Nuchal scan as standard, most don't and you need to pay privately. Mine was about ??180 if I recall. It needs to be done weeks 11-13.

Obviously its only worth doing if you are concerned about Downs and would like to know your risk. What it can't do is give you a definitive answer as to whether the baby has either syndrome, only a risk factor. For absolute confirmation you'd still need an amnio.

I chose to have a Nuchal scan just to know my risk and prepare myself if the risk was high. I never wanted an amnio, nor would I have acted on the results of the test. It was really to allow me to assess my risk and do some research if need be.

Everyone is different, good luck with deciding

• Options
    PS, be warned the NHS can be a bit sniffy about having a 12 week scan on them if you have a private Nuchal scan. I was refused my 12 week NHS one because I told them I was having a private scan.- I am too honest!

If you do go privately , just don't tell your MW beforehand and get the clinic to send through their results to your MW after you've had your 12 week NHS scan

• Options
    Thanks manologirl thats really helpful. Will aim to not mention the private scan then so that I can still have the NHS scan, I find it frustrating when you pay national insurance that you can loose out for paying for private one!

Can't believe how much there is to take in!!!

Claire x
  • Options
    Have you checked that you don't get offered one on the NHS before you pay for one privately? I got offered one at my booking in appointment and just had a slightly more detailed 12 week scan because they take a few extra measurements then was sent to have some blood taken. It was all standard as part of my NHS scan in the area I was in at the time.
    I have never heard it be called an OSCAR scan before.
  • Options
    i thought all NHS hospitals offered this.. We had it and i do think it gives you peace of mind... the question reaslly is - if the baby were to have downs would you abort? if the answer is no there is no point in paying for it if it;s not offered by your hospital as you would keep the baby anyway. I also had tests for lots of blood diseases and somethign called edwards disease not sure what that is though?

xxx
  • Options
    Hi Miss Impatient, thanks for your message. I plan on discussing this with the midwife at the 8 week booking in appointment so I can get some more details of what the NHS scan covers in my area. I just looked at what 'OSCAR' stands for and its 'One Stop Clinic for Assessment of fetal Risk'. There really is so much to take in I feel like I am completely clueless!!

Claire x
  • Options
    I have found my midwife etc have not helped at all to stop me feeling clueless, I feel like I have to find answers to anything I want to know myself. Write a list of questions to take with you so you don't forget anything! Mine was 2 pages long lol!

It is bad that the NHS service varies so widely from place to place, a lot of it is to do with funding, where I was booked in originally in Derby was quite a wealthy area and we got offered everything as standard. Now I have moved and my doctors surgery is in Bradford, funding is not so freeflowing and I even have to re-use the pot I pee in! I don't think I would have got a free Nuchal Scan here had I not had it already in Derby. At my previous midwife she did the full spectrum test when they tested my urine and as a result found I have blood in my urine at all my appointments so they did some tests on my liver and kidneys. They also knew I had an infection from finding leukocytes. Here they only test for protein so if I had been here from the beginning of my pregnancy they wouldn't have known about the blood and I would have been oblivious about the infection until I started getting other symptoms. They must miss so much from being so limited!

Fingers crossed you are in an area where you get the full works and won't have to pay to go private if you wanted to know about Downs. Like designerbump said I only think its worth having (or at least paying for) if you have decided to abort if the baby has downs. If you wouldn't abort then it would probably be picked up at your 20 week fetal abnormality scan anyway, I guess it doesn't really make a difference if you know at 12 or 20 weeks if you would carry on with the pregnancy either way.
  • Options
    Our NHS trust carries out the Nuchal scan at the 12 week scan as standard too
  • Options
    I was also offered one and had it and the blood test etc. For me, even if the ratio had returned high risk then I wouldn't have had an amnio or ever aborted the baby...it was more a case of just knowing...sorry to ramble! I was more concerned about what they would find at the 20wk scan anyway

I haven't heard it being called an OSCAR either! Have a good chat with your mw and ask all the silly questions you need to - its what they're there for!

Liz xxx