Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sure Start Maternity Grant

I know this has come up before but I'm still really confused!

Hubby and I's joint income is ??3800 approx so we won't get any tax credits towards childcare but we will get a little bit of child tax credits. The info says that you can claim the Sure Start Maternity Grant if you get Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element. Some peple have said to me that when you have a baby you are automatically on a CTC rate higher than the family element because you get a higher rate for the baby. But the info specifically states that it is a grant for low income families. We aren't rich by any stretch of the imagination but I know we wouldn't be classed as low income.

Has anyone else on an income similar to ours been able to claim this grant? I don't want to be greedy but I pay lots of tax and have never been able to claim anything so want to make sure I get everything I'm entitled to! And ??500 means being able to stay off work on SMP for an extra month.

Replies

• Options
    hi hun- I would very much doubt you would get it but I'd be interested to know if you do!! Personally whilst I can see the benefits of it I think its unfair to only supplement those who cant afford to buy baby stuff in the first place but I wont go there on a lovely sunny Friday afternoon image x
  • Options
    "My hubby earns a decent wage but I don't work- full time Mummy to my toddler BUT we do get the Child Tax credit at the higher rate (just!) and so applied and got the grant. If you don't get it before baby is born you should get it once they have arrived because you will get tax credits+baby element which is higher than the family element. I spoke to someone from the processing office (whilst awaiting my confirmation letter) in Nottingham who told me that unless you have an income of ??60k a year everyone is entitled to it eventually."

"What tax credits payments can you get?
    When the Tax Credit Office works out your tax credits, they look at what they call the tax credits 'elements' (or payments) that you're entitled to. The elements are based on whether you have children or not, and if you work, the hours you do.

The Child Tax Credit elements

The table below shows the Child Tax Credit payments you could get for bringing up children - providing you qualify.

The payments apply whether or not you work. You may get a mixture of elements, depending on what you qualify for.
    The Child Tax Credit elements
    What it means
    Maximum amount for 2010-11

Family element - the basic element
    It's the basic payment if you are responsible for one or more children.
    ??545

'Baby addition'
    It's a single payment paid to families for all children under the age of one.

It is paid on top of the basic element and the child element.
    ??545

Child element
    This is paid for each of your children.

It is paid on top of the basic family element and any baby addition.
    ??2,300

Disability element
    This is an extra payment for each disabled child you have.
    ??2,715

Severe disability element
    This is an extra payment for each severely disabled child you have.

It is paid on top of any disability element.
    ??1,095

HTH.....I think its worth applying and seeing....I will be! xxx"

I just read these posts from a previous thread that kind of confirm what I was wondering. Everyone who has a joint income of less than 60k gets the basic family element. Plus if you have a child under 1 you get the extra baby element. Therefore you get above the basic family element of CTC.

Hmmm I guess I'll just apply and see what happens!
  • Options
    I've just read it - it says you need to be getting MORE than ??1095 a year if you have a baby under 1- if your joint income in in excess of ??25K you will get ??1095 for the year- so guessing that's a no if your joint income is greater than ??1095

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/claimforms/sf100_print.pdf

• Options
    hope this helps as well

http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/money/tax_credits/default_2.asp

seems a little unfair that a couple on a joint income of ??25K are treated the same as a couple on a joint income of ??50K but hey ho!

• Options
    I have not applied for it yet, but i am under the assumption by reading the form that i will,(also know someone on similar income to us who got it, also people on this forum) me and H2B have joint income of about 34k, and we DO get help with childcare, (just pays for it) otherwise there would be no point in me working, so faithie, think you should check that out as i think you should get some help towards childcare.

I was lead to beleive that most people will get the grant as long as they were not on really high incomes?
  • Options
    The form itself says you need to be on higher rate of CTC- or receiving more than ??1095 if you have a child under 1- anyone on a joint income of greater than ??25K will not recieve more than this ??1095 in CTC so thereore I take it that means you wouldnt be entitled but its worth a try

• Options
    mm2b I receive more than 1095 (as have 3 children already) and joint income is more than 25k so thats not right hun x
    And i get money towards my childcare too and always have done
    I am definatley on the higher rate x
  • Options
    i just re-read it and maybe its because i have 3 children at the mo and 4 when this one is born, i thought if you got 1095 and above, so getting 1095 means you can get it? maybe im wrong, but hey apply for it anyway its worth a go, i heard someone applied three times and got it on third atempt!
  • Options
    hales- sorry i was just replying on the basis of first child/first time receiving tax credits- we will receive a tax credit award of 545 plus the additional baby element taking us to an award of ??1095 for the year- I would guess on the info faithie provided she will be in a similar position tax credit wise - anything's worth a try !! Still annoys me that if I sat on my backside and didnt work (btw I would 100% class being a SAHM as work I'm refering to people who just dont cos they cant be arsed)- I would be given money to buy stuff for my baby rather than having to actually earn it................anyway lol
  • Options
    I'm confused! This is our first baby, together we have a joint income of ??30000! Would we be entitled to the sure start grant and would we have more chance of getting it once baby is here! Xxx
  • Options
    I'm confused! This is our first baby, together we have a joint income of ??30000! Would we be entitled to the sure start grant and would we have more chance of getting it once baby is here! Xxx
  • Options
    This tells you what level of tax credit you are likely to receive- to get sure start grant you need to get more than the ??1095 for a one child family!

http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/money/tax_credits/default_2.asp
  • Options
    Sorry to gate crash, but I'm really unsure about all these differnt things. Hubby and I are on a joint income of ??40K (hubby is on ??12k as he is an apprentice so it would be quite a bit less if I were on maternity leave) , would we receive anything?

Thank you.

V xxx
  • Options
    Hello! Im going to be applying for it anyways.....we've got nothing to lose have we! The more help we can get the better image

CG 31+0 xxx
  • Options
    if how I read it is right- if whilst you're on maternity leave your joint income for the year drops below ??25K (the first ??100 a week of maternity pay isnt included in this calculation) you will be entitled to the grant. Regardless you will be entitled to ??1095 a year (this is the minimum based on your usual joint income) Child Tax Credits and about the same in Child benefit (basically an additional ??40 a week combined)

• Options
    My hubby earns 26k (i stay at home with dd) and we where refused the grant yesterday. I might apply again when baby is born xx
  • Options
    Vicsy (just done a few quick sums) if all you'll recieve is SMP you will be entitled to the grant and a slightly higher rate of CTC based on taking 9 months mat leave (obviously if you take any longer and some is unpaid you could be entitled to more!!)

• Options
    MrsNoName- you're hubby earning over ??25K is what takes you over the limit for Sure Start bit of a bugger

• Options
    Yeh but my friends hubby earns exactly the same and they got it image they also get more tax credits than us lol i just dont get how they work it all out sometimes!! xx
  • Options
    that's strange hun- do they have more children? They cant have declared everything correctly or they wouldnt have got it (I work in accounts and tax and fill the forms in for clients frequently which is why i've been researching it) On a joint income of ??26K they should only get the basic CTC proportion (obviously with a top up if they have a child under 1) x