Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Pre Eclampsia without high BP??

Has anyone been diagnosed with Pre Eclampsia without an abnormally high blood pressure reading?

I'm now on Paranoid-Midwife PE Watch after a very high protein urine result on Friday. I had a MW out on Saturday to the house to check me over and have another coming tomorrow. Protein was still there on Saturday and since then I have started suffering quite dramatic oedema of the feet and ankles and hands.

My BP was 140/70 on Friday, 150/80 on Saturday but the midwife said that as this was similar to my booking BP it didn't count as being 'high'.

I just wondered what the heck they're likely to do with me tomorrow if I still have protein and bad swelling but my BP remains at current levels. I had PE with my DD and she was born at 35 weeks and was really ill, so I'm desperate for it all to go away and to keep cooking this little boy as long as I can! I'm 35+2 today.

Replies

• Options
    hi hun
    im pregnant with my first, i havent got PE but i saw your post, and i just want to say good luck with your mw tomoz and i hope it all ngoes as well as it can, i hope little baby boy stays in yout tum tum for as long as he possiably can
    sorry my reply wasnt any help
    xxx
    30+4
  • Options
    Not to worry, that was very sweet, thank you! I am trying to talk myself out of taking my own BP (I have a BP monitor at home) as I'm sure it will just make me more paranoid!
  • Options
    Your diastolic reading is normal but systolic is raised. The diastolic is the more important reading so try not to worry too much x
  • Options
    Hi Mrs S! Like Gecko says, your 'bottom' reading is actually really good (I have had high BP for 2 years now so am quite well versed in what is good / bad reading!). I think out of protein, high BP and swelling they look for at least two out of the three signs. Having said that, I'm pretty sure that high BP is usually one of them. Hope you get on okay today chick.

K 38+2 x
  • Options
    Hello

I had suspected PE with my first.

I had raised blood pressure, swelling, headaches but no protein. My blood pressure was very high (the last number increased by 25 from my booking in) so they kept me in to be monitored and i was tested for PE which came back clear... i had to have my BP checked every day by a midwife after that until i gave borth which was about 3 weeks!

Sorry to the point- The midwifes told me you dont have to have every symptom for it to develop, just like anything i guess... you can get Meningitis without the rash etc etc.

Fingers crossed you dont have it image x
  • Options
    I had diagnosed pre-eclampsia with my ds, I had swelling, protein in urine, headaches but not so high blood pressure.
    My mw wanted to check so admitted me, after being in hosp' for three days it got higher! So I was induced. Luckily I was over the 40 weeks anyway, but like MrsNoName said, you don't have to have every symptom.

Hope you don't have it hun, but keep your feet up and stay hydrated. xxx
  • Options
    Thank you ladies - MW has been and I still have protein, BP today was 140/90 so it seems the diastolic reading is creeping up. Boo. Back to clinic on Friday for more checks!
  • Options
    i had pre ec with no symptoms other than raised bp!! The other symptoms came in the last couple of weeks of pregnanxy. I think it can be so dangerous for you and babes, that whilst they may seem paranoid its for the best.

Em x
  • Options
    aww bless you
    hope it goes well friday hun xx
    30+6
  • Options
    I didn't realise that you could get PE without high blood pressure - I thought that was the common denominator - will be keeping a close eye on the other symptoms from now on in case any headaches, swelling etc - so far been ok. My mum had PE with all 3 of us so am conscious it can be a genetic risk.

Sorry not been much help but your post has helped me though so thank you hon for posting x

Hope your tests all come back ok hon and things get back to normal for the last stretch xxxx

32+3
  • Options
    I had PE without the high blood pressure. Had the swelling, headaches and protein in urine and also the urate level in my blood was creeping up every day. I was admitted to hospital at 38 wekks after being monitored at clinic for 10 days in a row. Then after 6 days in hospital they induced me, still with a reasonable BP of around 140/85 every time they checked which was every 4 hours.
    Hopefully you dont have it though and you can keep that wee man inside for that bit longer.
    All the best and good luck for when your time comes to meet him!!

xxx