Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

o/t advice please, housing related

hi ladies! just wanted some advice... we recently signed a lease and handed over ??450 deposit and ??450 first months rent to a private landlord. now found out we are expecting bump and the flat we have signed the lease for is far far too small for our toddler and a baby.

basically what i want to know is, the lease was signed a few days ago, we havent moved anything in yet as was going to move in slowly. i cannot stand the thought of living there for 6 months and then having to move again when heavily pregnant.

they are a nice couple (the landlords), and obviously i am so worried they wont give us back our money, im just wondering if anyone has any advice? OH is going to phone them tomorrow and explain the situation..im sat here worrying about it all! i feel dreadful for mucking them about! x

Replies

• Options
    Hello hun,

From a legal point of view:

You have no rights to back out of the contract even if you havent moved in.

HOWEVER, from a practical point of view:

If the landlords are reasonalbe people they are likely to release you from the contract BUT you will probably be liable to pay the rent until they find a new tenant to move in. This could only be a couple of days or it could be a month.

Contact the letting agent asap and explain the situation. These things happen! You will lose all fees you have paid to the agency though.

xxx