Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Back ache as the start of labour?

just wondering who had back ache / pains at the start of labour and what it felt like?

was it all across your lower back?
did it feel like any other back ache or could you tell a difference between this and "normal" aching?
would you describe it as an ache or a pain?
was there a constant background ache?

i'm 37+2 and getting funny pains/aches in my back that i haven't had before with seemingly no reason. obviously i'm now convinced i'm in early labour :lol: although in the back of my head i'm also telling myself to stop being a drama queen!

Replies

• Options
    hi hun, i got back ache/ pain in the run up to both my labours, it was sort of generalised really, was worse when i was up and about.
  • Options
    I'm 10 days overdue and have been getting back pain on and off for a few weeks now - it was at its worst after my sweep but unfortunately didn't lead to anything. It's at the very bottom of my back and worse at night.
  • Options
    All three of my labours started with low backache, and strange aches down my thighs.
    Jo xx
  • Options
    I had back ache with my labour; was very low down and constant, but flared up and was worse when I was moving around or going to sit down/stand up. A warm bath did nothing to ease it, and eventually it slid round to my abdomen - very very low down as if it were period cramps.

I had been getting hip pain as lo was on the verge of engaging but wont slip into place; that suddenly went when the back pain came. I felt very figetty and not quite right, couldnt get comfortable at all and didnt want to move around at all - but didnt want to sit down either! Felt restless.

It was an ache, but it was blooming painful, with the occaisional stabbing pain shooting across my lower back and into my abdomen. I tried to ignore it thinking I was being stupid and my waters went three hours later :lol:
  • Options
    G/C but no bloody way 37+2 already,wheres all the time gone :lol:

hehe sorry but wow,i also had back pain when i was in labour,like bad period pains xx
  • Options
    haha grudie i know it's insane!!

i really freaked out myself and hubby at the weekend by saying we would be parents within 5 weeks! (God willing)

but now we're both really excited image

garfield24 the restless thing is exactly how i feel - my arms and hands feel a bit clammy and i dont want to be sitting down but equally dont want to leave the house
    i'm now sitting on my birthing ball - my mum and sister were scheduled to come round today anyway so at least, if it does progress into labour, they'll be here til hubby gets home.

i know 37wks is still earlyish for a 1st baby but i've been absolutely convinced for months that baby is going to be early - dont know why - just a weird feeling
  • Options
    ALL my labour pains were in my back but they satred as a constant back ache like a BAD period pain/cramp!

HTH
  • Options
    i was the same as maximum. i laboured in my back all the way through too. the discomfort in my stomach much later could be helped by a wet flannel! so back ache started at 10am, thensettled into every 12-10 mins. then every 8 and a half. i was in proper labour every 4 and a half mins by 11pm, 5cm by midnight????.

so a good sign for you!
  • Options
    i was the same as maximum. i laboured in my back all the way through too. the discomfort in my stomach much later could be helped by a wet flannel! so back ache started at 10am, thensettled into every 12-10 mins. then every 8 and a half. i was in proper labour every 4 and a half mins by 11pm, 5cm by midnight????.

so a good sign for you!
  • Options
    Mine was also in my back the whole way through but it started as contractions from the beginning xx
  • Options
    How exciting! My friends niece had her first baby at 36 weeks, she always thought she would go early too so you never know!
    Keep us posted, sorry I can't help with the actual back pain, I am also having baby no 1 so I'm no use! xx
  • Options
    Yep - I had that. From a couple of days before I had period type back ache. I was making OH massage my back REALLY hard in the evenings and didn't want to sit still. Didn't occur to me at the time it was early/start of labour. I thought it was just the weight of my bump and the mattress not being able to support me well enough!
    When in actual labour it started with v strong backache that woke me at night and after an hour or so I noticed it was coming in waves, but always there. Gradually moved to bump and top of legs but was always in back too. Right at the end of labour OH pressing shockingly hard on my lower back really helped! Hated being massaged though! it had to just be really hard pushing!

• Options
    took paracetamol an hour ago and that helped for all of 45mins - now the backache is creeping back

wish hubby would get home soon - could do with some of that pushing-on-my-back thing
  • Options
    Ooh, how are you this morning Mrs R? x
  • Options
    Just to say I had the restless thing too, could not sit still and felt very irritated by everything. Woke up that night and my waters had gone. Oh and m first was early at 37,9!

good luck! x
  • Options
    Hi MrsRaf, I'm another lady who had backache all through labour, no cramps in my stomach area at all. It started off with lower back ache, and as contractions came it felt like a tightening in my lower back. I went for a bath and took paracetemol before going to the hospital. The only thing that eased the backache was moving position a lot, being on all fours helped. I had dd a week exactly before my due date, and she was my first, so it sounds promising. Good luck xx
  • Options
    I was another one who felt restless as the first sign. I don't remember it being backache exactly but I just couldn't get comfortable sitting or lying on the sofa, or even perched on the arm of hubby's chair, haha! So I went to bed and 3 or 4 hours later I woke up and my waters broke. Then I started getting contractions which felt just like period pain backache to begin with.
  • Options
    can feel the backache creeping back in again right now but still thinking it could just be pregnancy aches and pains

guess we'll just have to wait and see!
  • Options
    Good Luck MrsRaf can't believe your at almost baby time its so fast thats like 37 weeks of my life i was wishing away in ttc lol

Good Luck

gembags xx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev342prs__.png

• Options
    haha gembags its crazy isnt it

no more backache -think my reflexologist fixed it but she did say that there's no way i'm gonna make it to my next appointment in 2wks - she reckons any day now by the looks of my feet image