Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How do I tell work i'm pregnant....terrified!!!

Hello ladies
Just need some advice if possible.....I'm getting a bit stressed!!
I'm six wks 2days and worrying how on earth to tell work that i'm pregnant when the time comes.
I started my new job beginning of December...I love my new job and have been told that I'm doing a great job by my boss. I work for local authority but i'm on a six month probationary period which end the 1st of May.
I'm really scared I'll get the boot...that they might make up a reason other than pregnancy to get rid of me...even though i'm told that they think i'm good at what I do. I will be 12weks (hopefully) by the 2nd week in April....should I be honest and tell them then or try and hide it if humanly possible until they sign me out of probation? I will have a bump by then and I doubt I will hide it.
Please any advice welcome...anyone been in or in a similar situation?

xx

Replies

• Options
    I think its disgusting that women are made to feel so upset and scared just because they are having a baby. Legally they cnt get rid of u for having a baby so if they fabricate sumfing else u can take them to a tribunal. If u can i wud wait for probationary period but if ur bump starts showing u will have no choice but to tell them. Sorry u are in this predicament, Kerry xxx
  • Options
    I would wait until the probationary period is up to tell them. You would be about 16 or 17 weeks by then. I don't think that's dishonest at all, it's just covering your back so they can't make up a reason to get rid of u. Lots of women wait until about 16 weeks to tell their employers as the risk of miscarriage is lower than at 12 weeks. Good luck. xxx
  • Options
    Hi,

I didn't tell my work I was pregnant until I was 21 weeks & I was absolutely shi**ing myself about it but they were great! I wasn't showing so no one had guessed which was lucky but its your business & legally you don't need to tell them until your 25 week so if you don't feel comfortable with it then don't tell them until you do.

I have to say my work have been amazing & back-paid me for the mornings I had been off at appointments & things so you could end up worrying for nothing as I did!
    Good luck,
    Lauren xoxox
  • Options
    Hi

I was in a similar situation. I started a new job in July and I was already about 6 weeks pregnant. I was really worried for the same reasons, I thought they would make something up to get rid of me. But because of the type of job I was doing I was too scared not to have a risk assessment in place incase something bad happened. I ended up telling them at about 8 weeks and they were really nice about it (too my face anyway!) I've started my maternity leave now, wages department have been a bit funny but I suppose thats down to me claiming maternity allowance because I wasnt entitled to SMP. They think that because they aren't paying it they can leave my paperwork till the last! Cheek!

I would tell them as soon as you feel comfortable. I was worried if something happened no-one would know about my baby, and that could be worse. Also you can't take advantage of being able to have paid leave for appointments and stuff until you tell them!!! I suppose it depends on the type of job you do, mine had lifting and stretching involved so I really wanted my risk assessment done so I didn't push myself too far, and also so they couldn't push me either!

I hope it goes well for you and don't worry about them getting rid of you....they are not allowed. As long as you are doing your job properly then there's nothing they can do!! Don't over do it tho!

Lucy
    38+5
    xx
  • Options
    As you're only going to be about 16 weeks by the end of your probationary period you could probably get away with waiting as if this is your first you may not be showing much by then anyway. I guess it depends how well you get on with your boss, I would have felt a bit off passing my probation and then telling them straight away. I would just make it clear that you trust that your pregnancy won't effect your probation so that they are aware you will realise if they fob you off (does that make sense?)
  • Options
    Hiya Pinkpig, congrats hun. I also work for a local authority and started a new job when I was about 4 weeks (I found out on the day of the interview!) my experience is that the local authority is totally terrified of me now that I'm pregnant in case I play the 'pregnancy discrimination card' they have lent over backwards to make sure I'm as happy as possible - I'm sure you'll be fine hun but all orgs are different and it might be worth not telling them til after your probation!!! xxx
  • Options
    Im 8wks prgnt an on 6months probation an work in a nursery can they sack me x
  • Options

No i dont think they can sack you for being pregnant it would be unfair dismissle xx

• Options
    Could they get rid of me by saying its not working out but not giving a reason xx