would you move house?

ok i want honest opinions here. We live in a flat which we really love,its old and so has lots of traditional features,we have a dilema tho....We dont know whether we should be moving to a house nearer our family,as two of our closest family members dont drive and the bus service to where we live is awful,id need to drive to see everyone,also i couldnt take our lo for a walk as theres no where to walk to here,so basically should we stay in a flat that we love our should we buy a house that is practical and near our family,what would you do?

Jstar xxx

Posts

  • I think it depends on lots of things! Can you afford it? (not asking for info. just asking if you know what I mean LOL!). I also personally don't think its the right time to move / buy a house. We have just remortgaged for another 2yrs and will happily stay where we are and start looking in 18-months when hopefully the market has picked up. Our neighbours have recently sold their house for ??16k less than they paid for it and ??25k less than it was valued at!!! She is desperate to move as her son is due to start school in Sept and wanted to move into the catchment area of a good local school. Each to their each but we were shocked at the price she sold at!!! (she told us)
    Do you think your current living arrangements will work for you? i.e. do you have plenty of room for a new baby / toddler? how important is it for you that you are near your families? for us, we want to stay around so I am near my Mum but I am not bothered at all to be nearer to my in-laws!!!
    hope this helps even a bit!
    good luck xxxxxx
  • I suppose it depends on whether you want to sacrifice the place you're living now?! i'm taking it would be big enough for you all? do you rent or is it mortaged? cos with the credit crunch, if its mortaged you'll probably never get a decent offer for it so maybe it would be worth hanging in there tbh cos perhaps once this ressesion is over property prices will most likely sky rocket and you probably find the offer would be worth more your while!! hope that helps a little


    Claire
    35+1
  • Joo - I agree it is not the best time to be selling your home,we could afford it but obviously would be paying out more money than we are just now for a mortgage. Our flat only has 1 bedroom,but we could easily convert it to a 2.I think what im worried of is we move and we regret it,but am i just being selfish because a house with a garden and near my family will be better for our LO.

    Jstar x
  • I agree totally about wanting a bigger place, garden etc. and it being better for the baby!
    We just thought that whilst baby Angus is so young, those things perhaps won't matter too much... so we're staying put.
    Hubby is just disappointed as it means we can't get a dog sooner! our house isn't tiny, but not big enough for us two, baby and two house-cats and a puppy!!!
    good luck, I'm sure you'll come to the right decision for you both and you won't regret it!
    xxxxxxxx
  • I lived in a flat before i had my 1st and i was the same wanted a house with garden etc, but to be honest they dont really get the use ofthe garden until they are up and about, so if you dont want to do it straight away then maybe hang on a little see if the market picks up and wait until you know for sure what you want

    xx
  • I can only tell you what I would do and that is I would probably think about moving. In fact this is exactly what I am doing!!!

    It's hard to comment on whether it is the right thing for you personally as we all have our own views and personal circumstances. For me, I didn't want to bring up my baby in a flat in Central London, not that I think there's anything wrong with it, just I'm more of a country girl at heart. To be honest, even if we weren't having a baby, I've been wanting to move out of London for a couple of years.

    With regards to credit crunch, I wouldn't let that stop you. For a start, if you're selling and buying it doesn't matter too much as you may sell your property for less than you'd like, but you should then be able to buy something for less than you think too. Conversely if you wait a couple of years, you might find prices go back up and you get a better price, but you'll pay more at the other end too. And in a way it's better to sell and buy cheaper as it means stamp duty etc are less given that it's a % of the house price.

    Plus you could be waiting forever for the market to pick up as some think that house prices will steadily go down until 2015 or so!

    That said, if you do decide to sell, be prepared for it to take some time as it is a slow market out therel We put our flat on the market in October / November and we've had lots of viewings but not that many offers. Plus the offers we have had have either been very cheeky or have fallen through. We've now accepted another offer so fingers crossed it will work out, but it does mean we'll be moving very close to the birth time (either just before or just after depending on how it works out).

    I do agree though that you probably don't need to worry about having a garden or a second bedroom immediately so don't let that push you into a decision you're not happy with.

    Sorry for the ramble but hope it gives you another perspective.
    xx
  • I can only tell you what I would do and that is I would probably think about moving. In fact this is exactly what I am doing!!!

    It's hard to comment on whether it is the right thing for you personally as we all have our own views and personal circumstances. For me, I didn't want to bring up my baby in a flat in Central London, not that I think there's anything wrong with it, just I'm more of a country girl at heart. To be honest, even if we weren't having a baby, I've been wanting to move out of London for a couple of years.

    With regards to credit crunch, I wouldn't let that stop you. For a start, if you're selling and buying it doesn't matter too much as you may sell your property for less than you'd like, but you should then be able to buy something for less than you think too. Conversely if you wait a couple of years, you might find prices go back up and you get a better price, but you'll pay more at the other end too. And in a way it's better to sell and buy cheaper as it means stamp duty etc are less given that it's a % of the house price.

    Plus you could be waiting forever for the market to pick up as some think that house prices will steadily go down until 2015 or so!

    That said, if you do decide to sell, be prepared for it to take some time as it is a slow market out therel We put our flat on the market in October / November and we've had lots of viewings but not that many offers. Plus the offers we have had have either been very cheeky or have fallen through. We've now accepted another offer so fingers crossed it will work out, but it does mean we'll be moving very close to the birth time (either just before or just after depending on how it works out).

    I do agree though that you probably don't need to worry about having a garden or a second bedroom immediately so don't let that push you into a decision you're not happy with.

    Sorry for the ramble but hope it gives you another perspective.
    xx
Sign In or Register to comment.

Featured Discussions

Promoted Content