Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can you eat cheesecake in pregnancy?

Hey girls,
The topic says it all! Have the office christmas do coming up and at almost 6 weeks am trying to be really careful about what I eat - I know mould ripened and blue veined cheeses are off which is fine cuz I hate them but was wondering about cheesecake? As Ive ordered that for my desert - it was either that or Baileys christmas pudding which is off the menu for obvious reasons!

Thanks

xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev204pr___.png

Replies

• Options
    hi hun no i dont think u can , well i havnt cos ooh i cant remember y now bloody memory xxxxxx
  • Options
    Ive just read that you can eat it if its baked....how do I know if its baked LOL?

xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev204pr___.png

• Options
    i(m pretty sure u can, cheesecake is made from mascarpone which is one of the cheeses that we CAN eat. its a apsteurised cheese so i really don't see where there wld be an issue with that, it's the same cheese thats in tiramisu which i have had quite a few helpings of lol as well as ben and jerry's chocolate cheescake ice cream..... uh oh, i've made myself hungry lol

xx

http://women.evenhealth.com/image/c/bg937565.jpg

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev074pb___.png

• Options
    Ive eaten loads of cheesecake esp sticky toffee coz tht has been my craving, its made with pasturised soft cheese which is fine to eat! xx
  • Options
    shit! i have eaten marzipan!!
  • Options
    ohhh really u mean i can eat cheesecake i have avoided it thinkin i cant and even accidently put some in my mouth when i was a few weeks pregnant and spat it out doh!ah well 9 more weeks of eating it now eh xxxxx
  • Options
    Mrskc, I wouldn't worry too much, the chances of it actually affecting babs are soooo tiny, you just need to watch out in future! xx
  • Options
    You can definitely eat cheese cake made with mascarpone cheese - this is perfectly safe to eat, as it isn't mould-ripened. I can't imagine a cheesecake being made with a mould-ripened cheese such as brie, camenbert or stilton - it'd be revolting! xx
  • Options
    I'm a big cheesecake fan as well so have looked into this.

You need to check and see if it contains raw eggs or not. Baked cheesecakes are fine as the eggs have cooked but if not then I am afraid you can't have it - boo!!!!!

I think that most cheesecakes are baked though but I would just double check as obvioulsy raw eggs wouldn't be a good idea.
  • Options
    hi guys im super duper excited about my babies im going to be having 9 at the same time, hard work likes oh jeezo hahahahahahahahaha i stuff my face with cheesecake everyday so dont worry if your stressing out cause i found it okay

lots oh love jildo not dildo.

ps me likes the boabeh as you can see by my 9 babas

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I craved cheesecake in the final 2 trimesters of my 2nd pregnancy eating it as often as I could get my hands on it (at least twice a week). DD2 has been around 3mths now with no known allergies & no health problems.
  • Options
    Hi,

Dont think its the soft cheese thats the prob with cheesecake its the raw egg but if its not made with raw egg it should be fine xx
  • Options
    The risk from unpasteurised cheese is a listeria infection which can affect the baby.

No normal restaurant (by normal I mean not Gordon Ramsey's or similar) is going to serve unpasteurised cheese and especially not in a cheesecake, so don't worry. They just wouldn't risk giving one of their customers (pregnant or not) listeria because the repercussions from Environmental Health would be really bad news for the business.

The risk from uncooked egg is salmonella which will make you ill but will not harm the baby, however an associated high temperature might. It is virtually impossible to catch salmonella from UK produced eggs because they are all treated.

Manufactured products (marzipan, mayonnaise etc...) will not contain raw egg because it cannot be preserved for long enough for the product to actually get to the shelves of the shops.

I wish there was more explanation about what you should and shouldn't eat in pregnancy instead of just a list of don'ts because it terrifies pregnant women unnecessarily.

Stay calm, rational and realistic. When was the last time you or someone you know had listeria or salmonella? If you've eaten something on the don't list and it hasn't made you ill there is no risk to your baby and you can stop worrying.

Sorry for the rant but the lack of information about this really annoys me!

Mrs B xxx
  • Options
    erm i ate cheesecake through this and my last pregnancy and i am all good.

i even had dippy eggs too, yum.

dont all british eggs (i assume also in food in restaurants) would be lion marked and therefore safe?
  • Options
    I LoVE cheese cake and have eaten it loads its perfectly safe xx as long as all foods are cooked properly i don't worry to much!x Rosemary20uk I also think as long as eggs have the lion they should be perfectly safe I for 1 have never had food poisoning from dippy eggs! image
  • Options
    It depends on where the eggs are from, ie if somewhere had their own chickens they will be free range but won't be zapped for salmonella.

Best thing to check is if it contains raw eggs, we went to an ice cream shop and every one of their ice creams contained raw egg so couldn't eat any. If it is baked it is fine.
  • Options
    I actually had a chat with my midwife about dippy eggs...was kind of thinking that I've never had food poisoning from an egg before and surely if they're lion marked would be fine- she said in all her years of midwifery she's only ever had one lady who got listeria but her baby nearly died, enough of a reason to hold out for me even if the risk is so minimal xx
  • Options
    My aunt made a cheesecake for Christmas and when I asked her it did contain raw eggs, it is only baked cheesecake you should have not because of the type of cheese but because of the egg and a lot of restaurants will serve it as it isn't a problem for most
  • Options
    Is shop bought safe to eat do u fink
  • Options
    I would have thought baked cheesecake was fine,as the eggs are cooked,is that not right?

Set cheesecake made with gelatine and cream cheese/cream etc is fine,just check the label to see if it contains eggs.