Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Just been for an early scan and a little confused.

Just been for an early scan and they've said im not as further along as I thought. Based on my last AF which was 3rd July I'd worked out that I was 8+1, but they've just said im only 5+ half weeks based on what they can see?! I just don't understand.
They said there's a good sized yolk sac and a heartbeat and that it measured 2mm. Im reassured that they said there's a heartbeat but im a bit worried that they only dated me as 5 and half weeks. My periods have been pretty regular at 28/29 days so I just dont see how its possible?!
Has this happened to anyone else and did it turn out ok? And also can it have a heartbeat but not actually grow?! Im so confused. :\?

Any advise would be much appreciated.
xx

Replies

• Options
    hi, i wouldn't worry about the dates gfiven from early scans, they can be very innaccurate early on as the tiniest bit of a milimetere out can really change ur dates. with this preg i had an early scan at 7weeks and they dated me only 5weeks, which was impossible as that would mean i got my bfp the day i ov'd lol. then at 8weeks they dated me 7.5 (much better) and at 9weeks they dated me 8.5wks...then at 13+2 had my '12week scan' and was dated at 13+0, which is the date they now use for all my records, a couploe of days out can be explained by implantation (which can vary from 3-7days apparantly) but if its as much as 2 weeks i wouldn't worry (especially as they've seen heartbeat, very unusual to see before 6weeks), they most likely just mismeasure by a tiny bit, which can change things drastically so early on. u'll probablty find by ur 12week scan it'll be pretty much the same dates as u thought. hth xx 25+3
  • Options
    early scans are always pretty inaccurate as the bean is teeny tiny.
    i had an early scan with dd and i was told i was 6 + 4 but then a few weeks later i had another scan and i was actually further on than they first thought, so i was actually 8 weeks when they said i was 6 + 4 xxxx
  • Options
    I had a scan with my 1st at when i thought i was 7wks and they said 5 a week later i was 8 weeks so please don't panic as your bean is so small x

Good Luck and congrats x
  • Options
    just a question, why would you be asked for an early scan? would it be anything to do with not knowing cycle dates??
  • Options
    lucyah, random cycles would only warrant an early scan if it was reaallyy random, like a couple of months apart at least, my cycles were 29-45days and it didn't amke a difference to being offered early scan. i had an early scan with ds because i took a fairly serious tumble at 6+5, and then with this one because i was bleeding constantly from 6+6 til 9weeks. if people ahve a history of mmc too this can also be a reason for an early scan but depends on how sympathetic ur gp/mw/epu is. obviously u can have one for no reason at all if u do it privately. x
  • Options
    Thanks so so much ladies, you've really put my mind at rest a little bit. I just couldn't understand how she could possibly say I was only 5 and a half wks y.day as I'm pretty confident about when I ovulated and when I was due on as I have quite regular cycles and I was charting my temps.
    Lucyah, we payed for a private scan with Baby bond as I wanted reassurance that everything was where it should be and that there was a heartbeat.

They've offered us another scan next week for free for peace of mind, so hopefully we'll see that it's grown. At the moment Im going to think positive in the fact that they saw a heartbeat and they said everything looked as it should do.

Thanks again for all your advice everyone,xx
  • Options
    PS. Those of you that have commented on this thread that have been in a similar situation, did they do an internal scan or one on your tummy? Cz they tried on my tummy but couldn't see anything apart from the yolk sac, so they did it internally and found the heartbeat. I thought if I were 8 weeks they'd be able to do it on my tummy?!xx