Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone moving house or moved house while pregnant?

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone else has moved house whilst pregnant or are planning to move before they have the baby? We are currently looking at houses and are hoping to make an offer soon! We are due on 27th December so we hopefully have just over 4 months to go. However a few people seem to think it is a bad idea to move while pregnant (including my MIL!), but we would both really like to be in our family house ready for when the baby is born. Also my hubby is very protective so I know I won't have to be lifting and lugging stuff around and my Mum has offered to take a week off as well to help me unpack and get organised.
What do you think? What are your experiences?

CG

Replies

• Options
    I'm moving next week into h2b's house. I still have mine, so clearing most stuff next week when i move and will be travels to the tip this week with rubbish i don't need. I then plan to put it on the market in the next month.
    Personally i think it's beter to do before baby arrives.
    I also moved house when my son was 9 months and that was alot harder, as i either ad t have someone watch him for the complete day so i could move things into house etc or get others to do the house moving whilst i was with son for the day.
    So in my opinion i'd move before baby is born, and get the new house all done ready for the arrival.

Marie
    23+5 (blue bump)
  • Options
    oh my god yes !!!!!!
    we were on the market last aug and sold in april my lo was a year in april and two weeks before completion our buyers pulled out however we had already stopped being carefull if u get me drift ! lol as were were moving to a bigger house we thought cool we'll have another so when we lost our buyer i was like its ok at least im not pg !!!

lol,,,

two weeks later im pg !!!

8 weeks later and im dreading bringing up two lo in a tiny two bed house and the estate agent rings with the same coulple and they up there offer by 5,000 !! yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    so major rush to find our house we want and the other was a make do as its all we could afford but now we are waiting for completion date in next two weeks on our dream house and all everyone can say is ''sure you should be moving at your stage !! im 15 weeks today and lo isnt due till feb !!!

nothing will make you more happy than moving and settling before lo comes at the end of the day you do what makes you happy hunni
  • Options
    we moved out my house when i was about 14 16 weeks and stayed with my parents for 8 weeks before we could get into our new house so i was about 24 weeks second time round, It was very tiring but better than with a baby in tow i'd think
  • Options
    we were hoping to sell our house before we fell pregnant but fate had other ideas and the house is still for sale :cry: we are desperate to move as we cant have a nursery until we do or buy any furniture for it, it really just means you need extra help as you cant do any lifting and carrying but i think its good esp when the nesting kicks in you'll get loads done!

becca
    19+1
  • Options
    We moved house at 22 weeks. I'll not lie, it was tiring but not really as bad as a lot of people said and I feel so much better being in our new place and getting it set up for the new arrival. My hubby didn't let me do much though so make sure you don't do any heavy lifting or straining.

Good luck
    Lexi x
    30+6
  • Options
    i have not but thought i'd share totally random info. i went to an evening with mediums on wednesday and all 4 said i would be moving soon! the house isnt on the market.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies! I think you are right though Jemaxox, it really will make us happy to be settling into our house before the baby is here!
    We just had a 2nd viewing today and we still really like it and it is priced quite well, so I think we are going to place an offer on Monday! I'm so excited! We have been renting for 4 and a half years and it will be so nice to finally have somewhere that is ours and to be able to decorate a nursery!
    I will make sure I get lots of people to help us when we move and make sure I do no lifting! Maybe I have timed this well after all - I can do very little and be bossy and get away with it! x
  • Options
    hiya

well ii am now 34+3 and just got keys to our new house yesterday.
    it needs painted from top to bottom so spent 6 hours lst night and 5 hours today there, i am sore and knakered bt i really wouldnt have it any other way. cant wait to have our first house together and it all looking lovely once we have decorated.
    I have been painting lots and keep getting into trouble, fell of a stool today, oops.

xxx
  • Options
    We moved when I was about 12 weeks pregnant, the house needed cleaned, painted and completly redecorated from top to bottom, we worked every day after work and at weekends for about 4 weeks to get it done and its not completly finished but its just little things to do. It is tiring but knowing its done and I am in a house where we are much happier and better for the baby its worth it.

28+6
  • Options
    I had a nightmare last time when i was pg. I got made redundant around 22 weeks so decided to move. Put our house on market, sold, made offer on new house and our buyers pulled out. Sold again and buyers pulled out again.

By this time we were well down the line with buying the new house, and i had baby 3 weeks early so went from tidying house for viewings with a 16 month old, to tidying again with 16 month and new baby. Afrer i gave birth i went outside hospital to phone a couple of friends and end up dealing with issues on the phone to do with our house. I had to say to the estate agent, im sorry but i gave birth 4 hours ago, can this wait???

Nightmare!!!!! Did sell third time, and i just couldnt really help with moving etc with 2 kids to watch so hubby did it all. We had 4 weeks of bridging with 2 houses which should have helped but 3 days after getting new keys, hubby got meningitis and ended up in hospital!!!!!

Fantastic time in our lives, NOT!!!

Def move before any babies if you can as dealing with sleepless nights, tidying and the stress is not good

Gemm x
    16 wks
  • Options
    I moved out of my parents when i was 34 weeks pregnant with my daughter. It was fine to be honest. my mum and dad helped me and it was fine. I moved again into my now hubbys place when my daughter was 9 months and agin no problem. we did however decide to move last year to our new family home and fell pregnant a year later so all settled this time.
    I enjoyed moving house but i might be the only mad one and being pregnant didnt bother me in the slightest x
  • Options
    I moved both before and after Jason was born! We moved out of our flat, put all our stuff into storage and went to live with the in-laws when I was about 30 weeks. Then we moved again into our new place 3 weeks after the birth. I found both moves quite manageable, but the first one was definitely more tiring for me, as the packing up of everything into boxes took DAYS and involved some late nights to get it all done. I would have preferred to have moved just the once before the baby was born, and then I could have had lots of fun nesting, but it didn't work out that way for us.

So I would say go for it, but try not to leave it too late in your pregnancy as a) it is tiring and b) you never know when your baby will decide to turn up!
  • Options
    i ha just moved house, was a little stressful and i found it very difficult not to do any lifting etc. Ironically i ended up in hospital the week before we moved with a suspected blood clot on the lung which turned up to be pulled muscles in my back near my ribs, thought to have been caused by over doing it with the packing. I was given strict instructions to slow down and rest which meant i was able to do nothing!
    My advice is take it very easy and let others do the work for you. It is possible but its very stressful especially if your a contriol freak like me!

27+5
  • Options
    I have just moved flats and am due in dec too ! we moved from a 2 bed to 3 bed just 10 mins away ! but i was 19 weeks p.g i helped pack up eveything but hubby would let me lift a thing bless him and i still got very tired. My old landlord was a sweetie and wouldnt let me clean the old flat so we just moved out and left it i did have a sneaky clean of the flat but nothing major. He made me promise to go and sit down and rest up.

its fab to be in the new place as we can have a nursary now and still have an office and guest bedroom we are all settled and i cant wait till dec . BTW something will always happend on your moving day our thing was it was 43 degrees opps my hubby and the removal men were hot hot hot but we were all moved and in our new place by 9 am !! things start early when its gonna be a schorcher !!

pucca 23 weeks
  • Options

I had to post a message as I have just moved in with my parents after selling our two bedroom house at 30weeks gestation and found it so tiring. I am physically and mentally drained! Despite help from relatives you have no choice but to lift boxes etc or nothing would get done! Fortunately I had a week off work but im due to return tonight on night shift and feel i need another week off to recover. Hoping our family home will come up for sale in the next few weeks but in reality I think im at my parents until after the baby is born hence no house nor nursery booooo!

• Options

I moved house at 37 weeks , was very hard going n like you said you have to do some lifting etc , n organising when you get in , was worried it might bring on early labour , but dd was born 3 weeks later n all was well , good luck , hope work wasn't too bad x x 

• Options

I moved to another house while was pregnant, and that was probably the best decision i made. Was hard but at the same time that was a good experience.

• Options

Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat Guidelines.