Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Lupus?

Hi

When I was 18 (1999) I was hospitalised due to a rash. I had everyone baffled and was kept in for 4 days while they ran extensive tests, the cause was never found and the rash cleared up about 2 weeks after I was discharged. I am now 30 weeks pg and mentioned "the rash" in my first booking-in appt with mid-wife back in December. I went to see consultant yesterday who was very concerned that it may have been Lupus as this could have consequences in pregnancy. I have had 1 rash during pregnancy but the GP put it down to a virus, the consultant didn't seem too happy that considering my history I wasn't sent to hospital for further tests.

After all that waffle, my question is what effect can Lupus have during pregnancy?

Replies

• Options
    Hi, I've not heard of Lupus before but just put it into google and found this factsheet that may be useful http://www.uklupus.co.uk/fact13.html.
    Sounds like there are different variations of lupus so you may want to talk to your consultant more to find out what he thinks it is. Sounds like Lupus is very rare so hopefully the consultant has got it wrong. Certainly doesn't sound like lupus is something to worry about as much as it used to be. The sheet says there are two main concerns with lupus and pregnancy, one is a higher risk of miscarriage but as you are 30 weeks would think that is nothing for you to worry about, and the second is a flare up of the lupus after the baby is born. Hope this helps, let us know how you get on xxx