Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Am I really too fat??? :0

Hi Ladies,

Well i dont know whether to laugh or cry!! I've just been having a nosey at my notes and noticed that after my 20 week scan (which couldn't be completed due to naughty baby being fast asleep and tucking his legs under his bum), the cheeky bloody sonographer put down that she was unable to scan properly because of my above average weight??????? The cheeky cow never sadi that to my face but instead said it was due to the position of my baby!!

Now don't get me wrong I could have done with being a bit lighter before I got pg, but i am only a size 12 and have only put on 2Ibs so far in my pregnancy! My bump is noticable but not large (my sis is 2 weeks behind me and huge!!), so how on earth can I be too fat for the scan :lol:

Anyone else had this or similiar?? Feel like a right fat cow now and feel like saying something to them when I go back to be re scanned!

Em the fatty apparently :lol:
21+2

Replies

• Options
    OMG! cheeky bugger! that is an awful thing to say about a lady! Especially a hormonal one!

I have seen your pics on fb honey and there is no way you are above average weight! You have a lovely figure and look nice and healthy :\)

I'm usually a size 14 but I feel that my figure has really evened out and my bump looks rather flattering now. I am really happy with my figure at the moment and would not be happy if someone told me otherwise!

You are pregnant, and if you want to eat chocolate or something nice then you should not be worrying that you are putting too much weight on! - she says as she has just polished off a roll and sausage and potato scone :P

Lx
    22 weeks today! image
  • Options
    I had some beautifully clear scans with DD, and I'm far bigger than a size 12! That was well out of order!
  • Options
    That is dreadful! How can a size twelve be to big!!
    How tall are you?

I would show it to your midwife and see if she can do some digging into why that was written on your notes.
    if you do go back defo say something to them. Pregnancy is difficult enough without that sort of talk!!

Joanna

PS you are the same size as me and I was told I could do with a few extra pounds!!
  • Options
    :lol: Glad you ladies think it's a bit out of order too! Thought I might just be having a hormonal moan :lol:

Im 5ft 5/6 and like I say im a size 12 although do have humungous boobs! And seen as i've only put on 2Ibs in over 21 weeks I thought that was probably below average weight gain for into the 2nd trimester??

Will def mention it as if i'd ever had problems with my weight, that could really effect someone couldn't it! I think it's the fact that she never even said anything to me but then wrote it in my notes that's peed me off the most!! Surely if it was a problem that had a direct effect on my scan, then someone should have said it to me personally?? In fact I'll bloody tell them next time that the only reason im this size now is due to health reasons, which it is and comments like that are very hurtfull! Poor pootle isn't going to get half as much chocolate now thanks to her :lol:

I dread to think how they make bigger ladies feel if they've made me feel so poo!!

Thanks for making me feel better ladies!
    Em a size 12 and proud :lol:
    21+2 xx
  • Options
    I echo everyone else's comments that it's pretty mean and i wouldn't worry. i'm the same size as you but a little shorter and i only got weighed at my 16 week check after which had put on about half a stone. Midwife calculated my bmi and told me was a little over and shouldn't put on too much weight as its just more to lose afterwards and offered me healthy eating classes! Sometimes tact goes out the window i think when they're dealing with so many people day in and day out. I wouldn't worry!
  • Options
    Oh Em, what a nasty lady. She could have at least been honest with you to your face rather than on your notes. When I first went to the Dr's to confirm pregnancy, he sent me to an overweight consultant as my BMI was 29. Yes I weigh a lot but i'm a 10-12 pre pregnancy so hardly huge. When I got to see the midwife she laughed and said how ridiculous it was. She said if I had turned up to see the overweight consultant he would have laughed me out of surgery. She said my DR was just very rude!
    Funnily enough, now they say at 28 weeks I shoudl have put on more than 11lb so you just can't win! They have so many "averages" and if you fall slightly out of one your considered abnormal which is ridiculous, we are all different.
    I really wouldn't worry honey, it's just a stupid woman who is most probably jealous!
    xxxx
  • Options
    What a bitch of a sonographer!! Can't get over the fact she wrote it down, and you're above average??? What the hells average???? Size 2? What a cow. I'd be tempted to highlight her note and bring it up on your next midwife appointment, I don't think she should have written than, I've never had a songrapher write in my notes its always been a MW.

I'm a size 18 hun and when I went for my first scan at 7 weeks (because of a bleed) I was making nervous jokes about not being able to get through the big belly to see anything. My songrapher at the time said that it made no difference and she found bean straight away, so how they can say weight affects it I don't know.

Stuff her, size 12 is a lovely size, thats not above average at all xxx
  • Options
    Yeah SIL I had due to maternal build and then a seperate sheet which was placed in my notes saying that they would have to re scan due to my above average weight!?!?!?! How to make a pregnant woman feel like s**t in one easy step eh!!

I do have a bmi of 29 but seen as I am forced to eat coeliac food which they pack with stupid amounts of fat to give it a longer shelf life, what am i to do?

And then thinkin about it when I left she told me to make sure i eat lots of chocolate before my next scan, to make sure baby is active! I'll just say when i go back no sorry I didn't eat chocolate as according to you im already too fat for you to measure my baby :lol: xx
  • Options
    Don't worry about it hun, both my scans say picture resolution is affected due to my above average weight (cheeky gits) i wouldn't mind but my scans were pretty clear and the sonographer had no trouble checking everything. I think it's actually a comment that automatically goes on to the printout when youe BMI hits the overweight category - as long as you are healthy and your midwife is happy with everything then you're doing fine babe.
    xx
  • Options
    I too was rather miffed when I read on my 22 week scan report that it was apparantly "technically difficult due to maternal tissue characteristics"!!, I am a size 18 usually but don't feel this was a problem at all when it came to the scan, the sonographer managed to do all the checks with no difficulty whatsoever and said everything was all fine and well then goes and writes that down after! I was rather fuming at first and was going to say something but I calmed down after a bit so just left it....I really don't think that they should write such things down as obviously people are going to feel angry/upset etc. I certainly don't understand why they wrote this down on your notes when you are a size 12! Ridiculous.

Dannii
    29 weeks today!
  • Options
    hunny you are in no way FAT!! like L ive seen your FB pics and if your fan im a fecking hippo lol!!!!!

when i 'eventually' get pregant again and see that on my notes li be telling them something....maybe with a few sweary words in it...that or il get scott to do it for me :lol:
  • Options
    em7 - It sounds like she made a mistake to me - I would definitely question it.

I am a size 20 and had a round tummy before becoming pregnant. But I had no problems with the 20 week scan. The sonographer did say it might be more difficult to see with ladies with a higher BMI, but then when we discussed this in detail she said some women just have more dense tissue than others and this is not necessarily anything to do with your weight/BMI: a skinny lady ,ight have very dense tissue which makes it harder to see, but a larger lady might have very low density tissue and her weight doesn't affect the scan at all.

So xDANNIx, your notes might just have been referring to the fact that you have dense tummy tissue.

• Options
    That is disgraceful.

Seeing it from the other side (I'm a nurse though) I would say that if your weight was such an issue that it caused problems that interfered with scanning views then it should have been discussed with you as this would indicate a potential health issue for you and your baby.

Clearly you are not fat by any means. I would mention this to your MW as this needs to be feedback to the sonographer as she clearly requires some training on BMI's and the tread for average weight gain within each trimester.

xx
  • Options

So xDANNIx, your notes might just have been referring to the fact that you have dense tummy tissue.

Thanks for that Reeny, that makes me feel better, I just thought they had meant it as i was too fat to scan effectively but wrote it down in a 'nicer' way so to speak. Thanks for the info. x
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Ulrika that's what i thought tbh...surely if it was important enough to put on my notes, then it should surely be important to talk through with me! Just wonder if it was put down to add weight (excuse the pun!) behind having to re do the scan as she couldn't get what she needed??
    Either way i will ask when i go back and mention the fact that it seems odd!
    Emxx
  • Options
    sounds to me like the cheeky cow is covering her own back due to her incomplete scan and thats why she didn;t say it to your face what would be wrong with writing baby had legs tucked up, unless of course they aren't allowed this excuse and they must wait and try to wake the baby up etc etc ?? wouldn't worry at all xx
  • Options
    sounds to me like the cheeky cow is covering her own back due to her incomplete scan and thats why she didn;t say it to your face what would be wrong with writing baby had legs tucked up, unless of course they aren't allowed this excuse and they must wait and try to wake the baby up etc etc ?? wouldn't worry at all xx
  • Options
    How rude!! image

They really don't think before they speak (or in your case write!) do they!?

When I had my 20 week scan Baby Roo was measuring small, the sonographer looked me up and down and told me to go home and eat more and put on weight - like it was my fault! Now she should have read in my notes that I used to suffer with anorexia and should have realised how this could have upset/worried me or made me blame myself. I am eating perfectly well thank you and both my MW and my consultant have said even if I wasn't it would have NOTHING to do with baby measuring small - my MW was so angry about what she's said!

I thought it was rather ironic because when the trainee started scanning she said 'oh you're lovely and slim for me to scan. Sometimes you get heavy ladies in and it makes it so much more difficult' image I just didn't know what to say! I thought...I hope you don't say things like that to larger ladies faces.

As it turns out I had to go and have lots to drink and a walk around because they couldn't get all my babys measurements either - because of the position she was in!

Defintiely mention it to your MW. Size 12 is NOT big and like someone else said it sounds like she's just covering her inadequacy!

Love NN 25 weeks today! xxx

http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/tickers/2jd2p9xz55ugm69d.png

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/NattyNik/Round%204%20Pregnancy%20Photos/KangaandRoo62.jpg

Click Here To Read My Pregnancy Blog

• Options
    OMG I can't believe that was put in your notes!!!!

Hope you are ok. I would defintiely bring it up at your next appointment x

(and no you are not fat x)