Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

scottish mums: edinburgh royal infirmary anyone>>??

hi have just moved across scotland, from near glasgow to near edinburgh...i have managed to find out the nearest maternity unit is edinburgh royal infirmary.

hs anyone ever given birth there, or is about to? i just wondered what its like xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Yumsymumsy,

My daughter was born 2 weeks ago today at the ERI - and I couldn't rave enough about all the staff there. The midwfie who delivered my daughter was amazing, the doctors who stiched me up were great, and all the nurses who looked after us afterwards were so supportive, and encouraging. My baby had really bad jaundice, so we spent time in Neonatal too and the nurses there were also brilliant. If I had lots of money, I would be buying thank you presents for everyone who looked after us! You hear so many horror stories about hospitals, but we felt so looked after, and just really supported - that goes for my OH too.

Hope that helps xxx
  • Options
    hi thanks for your reply, that puts my mind at rest a little...thi smight seem a really weird question, but what floor is delivery room, wards etc.....i ask cause i a m terrified of lifts and id hate for it to be high up floors incase they make me go in a lift xx
  • Options
    hate to say it but I had my first baby at ERI 11 weeks ago and couldn't have had a more different experience - awful care during induction process and really really poor postnatal care, ironically when I was sent home with a really jaundiced baby who wasn't feeding properly and they told me it was fine, a week later she was in sick kids with dehydration - my baby also had a tongue tie which was affecting her breastfeeding and they didn't tell me about it! I had to find out when leafing through my discharge papers the next day that they had note it but not told me or that it could cause bf problems - ended up getting sorted too late and had to give up bf then as my milk supply was so low - I was severely anaemic due to blood loss during section and they didn't tell me that til I was on my way out the door or that it could also affect my milk supply - I was left to lie in the same sheets I had my C section in for nearly 48 hours despite asking every hour for help to change them, my mum ended up stealing some sheets from their cupboard and doing it herself as the nurses said they couldn't do it as the person who's job it was wasn't on til the next morning! - think it maybe depends on who's on shift but I am putting in a complaint at present - if I had any advice it would be just to make sure you push the midwives on the postnatal ward to give you all the support and advice you need. You may be luckier than i was though and I am sorry to give such a bad story but I really wanted to warn you to push for what you need in case you have a less positive experience than the other poster! wards are on 1st and 2nd floor and there are not too many stairs. If I am still living here and am lucky enough to have a second, I will book into St Johns at Livingston which I have heard much more consistent good reports about xx

[Modified by: tennison+1 on September 25, 2010 07:56 PM]