Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone know what having raised ALT levels means???

I am confused! After my consultant's appt last Fri (for high BP) I was called by a midwife and told that the consultant may want me to come back due to having raised ALT levels. I

was told to call back this morning to see what the consultant said. I called back and after talking to the consultant the midwife left me a message saying she wasn't hugely concerned but does want to see me next Fri.

She also said in the message 'Oh and of course, if you develop a rash, let us know immediately'. WTF? What rash? Anyway, can anyone shed any light? Typically I got the message after the clinic has closed for the weekend!

Thanks!

K 21+5 x

Replies

• Options
    Hello hun

I think this is to do with Liver enzymes being raised which can be a sign of pre eclampsia in pregnancy.

But I'm not diagnosing you, so please don't worry. The levels can apparently rise in PG and that is probably why they just want to keep an eye on you

• Options
    Thanks MG! My paranoia got the better of me and I spoke to a midwife on the ante-natal ward. She was very good and said it's very common, especially with high BP. My imagination was getting carried away after I googled and found the liver link. My brother passed away last Dec from acute liver failure (the inquest is ongoing but we suspect it was to do with long-term meds he was taken) but, of course, I put 2+2 together and got 15! She assured me a link would be highly unlikely and that if the consultant was hugely concerned they would want me seen before next Fri.

Jeez, the worry! Thanks for the reply chick! X
  • Options
    No wonder you were worried hun, after all you've been through. But the MW and consultant really would be in your case if there was a problem so its good that they are not concerned.

Don't worry we all do the 4+4 sum and get 15 in pregnancy, it makes us all neurotic!

xx
  • Options
    ALT is a measure of liver function. Raised ALT together with itching, particularly on the hands and feet (but not necessarily a visible rash) can be a symptom of a pregnancy condition called Obstetric Cholestasis. This usually begins in the third trimester, but sometimes earlier and can be treated but often means that the labour is induced.

Raised ALT may also be associated with pre-eclampsia ( link ). And of course various liver related things can also cause it to rise. I had raised ALT and a rash in my pregnancy, but it resolved itself and they decided in the end that is was just down to a transient viral infection! So don't panic - you are being checked out and well looked after so everything will be fine :\).

[Modified by: Astraad on December 04, 2009 10:23 PM]

[Modified by: Astraad on December 04, 2009 10:24 PM]

• Options
    Thank you Astraad! No itching at all so it looks like I only have one of the symptoms. Thanks for the info chick! x
  • Options

Hello Astraad, I m week in English so don't mind. ..but your presption is very useful for me. I also have same problem and I also have a large fibroid. Than what may be the reason for it. This is normal or abnormal in pregnancy? If problem than? I want to know more about that