Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

early scan today, no heart beat

hi evryone i had my early scan today as id been having some pain. i went in think i am 7.5weeks according to my dates. they said yolk and sack there but no heart beat, so either i am actuall yonly 5 or 6 weeks or the ive had a miscarriage...has nayone had a similar experience, good or bad id like to know. ive to go back in 2 weeks to check again for heartbeat but that is sucha long time

Replies

• Options
    Hi ya hun

I haven't had the same experience but a couple of weeks ago a woman on here (jelly baby) went through same sort of thing, she thought she was about 10 weeks and went for scan and they said same thing to her what they have said to you so she went back and turns out she was only about 5 weeks at the time of first scan which is why they couldnt see much. Two weeks is a long time to wait, cant they bring it forward a bit?

Good luck hun hope everythings ok
    charlie x 16+1
  • Options
    Hi I had this with my second and it was just too early too see. They told me that they leave it that long as baby usually develops heartbeat around 5-7 weeks and they like to leave it that long in case it is still a bit early and dont want to disappoint if the pregnancy is going well but just early, or you are definately further on and unfortunately things dont develop. They also say its because they dont usually like to scan you more than twice in a week/fortnight(from what i remember) unless in emergency.

Hope this helps, take things easy I am sure things will be ok
    xx
  • Options
    Hi ya hun

I haven't had the same experience but a couple of weeks ago a woman on here (jelly baby) went through same sort of thing, she thought she was about 10 weeks and went for scan and they said same thing to her what they have said to you so she went back and turns out she was only about 5 weeks at the time of first scan which is why they couldnt see much. Two weeks is a long time to wait, cant they bring it forward a bit?

Good luck hun hope everythings ok
    charlie x 16+1

hi thanks they said the reson to wait two weeks is cause even if they did it earlier it might still be too early to see heartbeat, so if i was 5/6wks just now theyd definiteley see it by two weeks if everything is ok, but if they still dont see it then its bad news. being only 5/6wks does kind of make sense because for over a week only digital tet said pos so maybe it was only at about 3 weeks i got pos result with these. anyway i guess we will just beed to wait and see thanks\
  • Options
    I s'pose that does make sense, just seems like such a long time! It will probably fly by though hun, keep yourself buisy but dont over do it! Do you work? I havent worked since i was 6 weeks as i quit my job so everything goes slow for me! Really trying to find some work!

charlie x 16+1

• Options
    i quit my job just before i found out i was preg, like literally a week before, so i could be at home with wee girl. so the time does kind of drag in!
  • Options
    I went through exaclty that and I was absolutley sure my dates were right. As charlie said i thought i was 10 weeks and turned out only to be 5. Dont give up. Its a hell of a wait to see but in my case when we went back there was a tiny wee hearbeat flickering away after all that worry. I got back in after a week but i know why they are saying that you should wait 2. At this stage you really can hardly see anything on the screen so it may not be worthwhile going back. At 6 weeks baby is only a daisy petal in size, so imagine how tiny the heart would be to see?? I know it will be hell for you to wait but it will be better than to go back, still see nothing and wait another week. If you worked out your dates as only 5 weeks just now they wouldnt offer a scan because its just too early to see anything so take comfort in that. the fact that they can see the sac is good. the pregnancy is there at least. So keep foccusing on that. I know its hard but it all worked out in the end for me. I am now 9 weeks today and just been for 5th scan!!!!! baby able to move now and is still very hard to make out on scan because of its size!! Still tiny!!!So dont be dis-heartened if its too wee to see yet! Its heartbeat wont be seen before 6 weeks. Im here anytime you want advice. Good luck jellybaby xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    thanks a lot, its just so hard to think that i could actually be 2 weeks less pregnant than i thought!its been almost 8 weeks since last af so i dont understand how i could only be 5 or 6 weeks, but i suppose i just have to cling on to the hope that i am. they said they would be able to tell if the sack has got bigger too, even if they still didnt detect a heartbeat..its such a long time to think i am preg but maybe im not!!we are taking our wee girl away for the weekend so at least that will be something to take our minds off i, then the weekend after is my wee girls birthday party, so ill be kept busy...i have my booking in appt on 5 oct, and will feel a bit weird at that because ill just have to continue with it as if i am definitely still preg....my husband on the other hand is more excitied after today because its his first baby and he says it made it more real for him to see the sack on screen and stuff, he is very optmistic and that helps, thanks and ill let you all know what happens x
  • Options
    Hi

You could ask your doctor to do your HCG levels every 48 hrs to check they are doubling,. This is what I had done and unfortunately this confirmed the worse for me. However after 1 period I was pregnant again and will be 31 weeks on Monday. Take care. xxx
  • Options
    My sister went for an early scan when she was pregnant coz she had bad pains. I think it was just before the weekend when she went in coz they couldnt detect a heartbeat so they told her to come back on monday morning & ,after an anxious weekend , when they checked again the heartbeat was there.

I hope everything turns out to be ok

Hilary x
  • Options
    Hi Laura
    In exactly the same situation. had my 6 week scan yesterday and they said sac/yolk was fine, but no embryo. Been a bit of a wreck but taken a more optimistic turn this evening. My husband, like yours, is completely optimistic. Thought I'd be leaving the scan yesterday with a picture (?!?I know), not utter confusion. Keep reminding myself that 6 weeks is too early. I'm going back on the 8th. Fingers crossed for you on the 5th
  • Options
    Hi Laura

It could be to do with when you ovulated - my sil had something similar but she ovulates really early like day 6 so she was actually a week and a bit further on then she thought she was. If you ovulated really late in your cycle (and I think you've got a good few days after ovulation to actually conceive) then that could account for the difference especially as it's only a couple of weeks - you never know! Hope everything goes well for you, will keep everything crossed, Laura xxx