Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

had 20wk scan, baby has big kidney.

hi. i am on my second pg and had my anomoly scan on monday. firstly it was totally amazing! the lady doing it was lovely and spent ages showing us baby (whos sex we didnt want to find out) everything looks fine except when she measured the kidneys she said that if they measure 5 or under they class that as normal (am assuming she meant mm) and one of babies was 5.1. she booked me in for a scan at 34 wks but told me not to worry cos it was only a tiny bit over. Also the first thing she said when performing the scan was that baby had an extremely full bladder and stomach and so must of been having a big drink. she thinks this could be the reason its kidney was having a slow day. Because of all this im not too worried but obviously wish that everything had been fine. anyone else experienced anything like this? I am really grateful it is nothing more serious and i no deep down that the scan is just a precaution but when its your baby you cant help but worry and 34 wks seems a lifetime away!!! thanks. love becky and baby bump.

Replies

• Options
    Hi my friend had a similar thing happen to her and it turned out that it wasnt a full bladder or bigger kidney it had something to do with the sex of baba i wont say what sex effects this as you dont want to know they worried her sick for weeks on end about it and everything turned out fine if you are really worried it might be worth calling your midwife and asking her if you can see her to discuss things further she may be able to arrange another scan a bit sooner to keep you from stressing good luck Sophie 32+2 xx
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev119pp___.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/rAlX0/.png

• Options
    I had my scan at 21 weeks and our baby's kidney's were measuring 4.8mm and 6.7mm so we have to come back for further scans at 30 weeks and again at 36 weeks.

The sonographer was brilliant because she'd already said I would be the first to know if she found anything wrong and was very reassuring throughout. When she told us the measurement of one kidney was over the 5mm cut off for normal she explained the condition of renal dilation and that it usually means nothing but the baby may need antibiotics after he's born. She said that she didn't need to call a consultant and would only have done so if the measurement was up at 15mm. So I know our measurements are not so bad.

I had a little cry about it because I wanted everything to be perfect but I haven't really thought about it for ages now. I'm 25 weeks now and looking forward to my next scan so I can see my baby again!

It may just be a little blockage or a kink in the tubes and it may sort itself before the next scan. I'm just glad they identified it so that if it does need treating my baby will get help straight away rather than having months of problems before they figure out what's wrong! I'm fairly confident that the next scan will be normal but if it's not it will then we'll deal with that too.

You sound like you're dealing with it well Becky and remember you are only 0.1mm over the norm. That's absolutely nothing. Your baby is fine but is being monitored just in case which is a good thing.
  • Options
    I had my 20 week scan on Monday and the sonographer said my baby's stomach was full and so was its bladder. She never mentioned the kideny's and said everything was fine. I wouldn't worry too much, at least they are monitoring you, which can only be good.

xxx
  • Options
    thanks for all your replies. i feel so much more relaxed about it all now. looking forward to my next scan. and thanks for nobody mentioning a particular sex, i would of been gutted to think one way or another. Im not one of those people desperate to find out, i love the suprise!!
  • Options
    Hey im 18 weeks preg and they did and u-sound on week 17 and they said my baby had enlarged kidneys and said it wont survive of the kidneys being to big and they also said my baby haed the bones didnt closed all the way and said part of the brain its out they didnt gave me a possitive results and ether way my baby wont survive.