Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Any ideas to speed up slow labour??

Hi as alot of you will know from my previous post, i've been in slow labour since sunday morning and i really want to speed things up. I am aching all over. I've tried taking long walks, sex and hot currys anyone else got any ideas? I dont know how long my baody can cope with the constant pain. Any advise is very much appreciated x x

Replies

• Options
    Hi Speckle,

Know how you feel. Think I am in slow labour too. Been getting really strong contractions since Friday. They come really frquently then stop. Im also acheing all over, its horrible isnt it.

I havr tried sex and the hot curries. Dont think I can manage the long walks though

I have started taking raspberry leaf capsules cos theyre supposed to make contractions more effective.

I also read that nipple stimulation is a really good way to kick start labour. I know you are advised not to use it to early pregnancy but have you thought about putting some clary sage oil in your bath?

How far gone are you now?

Kerry xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev204pp___.png

• Options
    Hi Speckle sorry to gatecrash I would love to know some ideas too as I have now been in slow labour for a week now and its so frustrating I must admit I dont want lil man to come until at least tomorrow night as oh is in amsterdam! Today I have felt worse though I have period pains from hell and losing more of my plug so hoping it wont be too long. Lil mans head is engaged which the hospital were a little shocked with as he is my third and my 2 previous babies heads never engaged until labour!
    I am finding each day more and more difficult now though with my 2 monsters who are 3 and 19 months. I think I am even more anxious for him to come as I am 36+4 and I had my youngets at 36+5!

So any ladies that can give us some advice it would be appreciated, I have already tried clary sage in bath, raspberry leaf tea, sex and walking up stairs! I know its still early but this slow labour lark is not nice at all!

xxx

http://bd.lilypie.com/vmFe0/.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev199pb___.png

• Options
    cleaning the kitchen floor on all fours, sounds mad i knw but it worked for me hun, hoover the stairs, i know your in pain but it will speed things up x
  • Options
    i have heard that nipple stimulation hepls especially if you do both at the same time!!!! also got for a ride in the car and go over lots of bumps ive heard that helps too!!!!!

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev005pf___.png

• Options
    How do you know if its slow labour? I think I might be in it too. I hurt all over especially my lower back and abd, got period type pains too. Only had one contraction today so far. I've been cleaning like mad, think I'm nesting.
    When you say nipple stimulation what do you mean?!
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi thanks for all your suggestions.

stokes 911

Im 36+4wks and normally i would want her to stay in a little longer but i'm getting increasingly tired now and very uncomfy. How are you feeling?

madbella+bluebump

I cant imagine how your feeling i'm absolutely shattered and i only have my 22 month old to look after, soi take my hat off to you having 2 at home. Its just so uncomfy isnt it!!
    Think i'll try everything everyone has mentioned. The same thing happened to me when i had my son, had really strong contractions then they just stopped. I had him the next night though.

carleybarley

I've got really bad back ache all the time, stomach pains and been having contractions for 2 days. other symptoms are sickness, diorrhea, pressure down below ect.. ect..
    To do nipple stimulation you have to massage the whole of your nipple(including your aoela) up your hand over you entire nipple and rub round, you have to do this for hours though. So think i'll give it a miss x x
  • Options
    Im shattered most of the time, but I keep getting little bursts of energy, they dont last long though lol.

I know what you mean, I wouldnt normally wish her out early. But cos Im due first week of summer hols, I would like a couple of weeks to get into some kind of routine and for me and hubby to bond with her on our own. Cos I know for a fact Chloe aint gonna leave me alone when her baby sisters born.

Plus I have been getting contractions now since 33 weeks, its just so frustrating and really draining.

Kerry xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev204pp___.png

• Options
    Are you due same day as me speckle? 18th july? I just noticed when you said 36+4!

There seems to be a few of us in the same situation and I bet we end up going late or something! That would be our luck!

It annoys me though as noone is ever sympathetic about it and they dont even offer you an induction closer tot the time if you have been in slow labour as its not a medical reason!!
    xx

http://bd.lilypie.com/vmFe0/.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev199pb___.png

• Options
    My mw suggested to me when pg with lo (and overdue) to use a breast pump for nipple stimulation apparently its a simaliar thing to when breastfeeding after the best it encourages the uterus to contract back- so will encourage ur contractions. xxx
  • Options
    I started with horrible pains last Thursda night/early hours of Friday morning. I have them on and off now since. I am really fed up. Midwife thought I would have had my baby before I saw her again (see her Thursday so there is still time I guess!) I have 3 more days at work and I do wish I had finished the other week now. I'm sure my baby is playing a game, hubby keeps getting excited when I am in pain! It's so frustrating!

Louise.
    xx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/WOlEp1/.png

• Options
    speckle your symptoms sound similar to mine. I've had diorrhea (sorry tmi) and feel nauseaus, have awful pressure down there and like I said, lower back and period type pains. I've been having what I thought were braxton hicks since thursday night and they've been on and off since but not sure if thats what they are as they're really painful and spread right round to my back which I didnt think Braxton hicks did. Trouble is I still dont know if I'm 30 weeks or 35 weeks! I see the consultant thursday so will explain the pains and things to her and hopefuly be able to shed some light on them and how many weeks I am. Roll on thursday!
    xxx
  • Options
    lilac

Will using a breast pump b4 baby is born not waste your colosorum milk? or am i just being stupid?

Madbella+bluebump

No i wote it wrong i'm 36+3 so due 19th.

Hopefully we'll all have out little bundles soon and if not at least we can all moan on here lol x x
  • Options
    it shouldn't do really depends if your already producing a lot already? i found that it really didn't bring anything out besides a dribble- i wouldn't sit there for hrs doing it thou just 4 stimulation.

Alternatively if u do get a lot freeze it ready for babies arrival might give some1 a chance to feed that 1st day home while u sleep!
    xxx
  • Options

my gf is in really slow labour HELP!!!

• Options

hi

sorry to be the voice of doom but I am now 2 days over due and have been experiencing the symptoms you are talking about for three weeks with them getting strong and worse with time and i went to get checked out today to be told i'm only 2cm dilated

thanks for the tips though I haven't tried most of them hope your babies aren't as stubborn as mine and show an apperance soon

• Options

I think that some of the best ways to help the process is to try and do all of the things on your to-do list (the calm, easy, ones of course). It is pretty relaxing and you get to do all of the things you have never had time to do.

------------------------

Julie

Best Gifts For Expecting Mothers

• Options

My wife is 5 days overdue with our second. Contractions are only 30 secs long and 10mins apart and have been for the last 3 days. She went 10 days over with our 1st. Trying everything.

• Options

im sure no one is even posting on this anymore but hey ho... i'm 39 weeks today and been in first stage of labour for 8days... exhausted Nd having to dig pretty deep for any kinda optimism...  baby is op (occiput posterior) which means i have to try turn her before arrival. sooo frustrating!! got excersizes to use to try turning her but really eager to hear anything that ACTUALLY helped anyones labour move along....thanks everyone...xxx

• Options

I swear by my birthing ball. I used it all day on the day I gave birth as I was at home waiting for oh to finish work and I had a 1 hour 20 min labour x

• Options

Oh and eating lots of pineapple just made me poo myself LOOL x