Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Maternity clothes for work

hi ladies

well (fingers crossed / touch wood) i might have a short-term work contract starting Tues. i've been either studying, injured or working-from-home for the last year so have NO maternity clothes suitable for work in the City (of London) - i've been living in leggins, maternity jeans and long stretchy vests+jumpers

I have one pair of trousers that i can make fit with safety pins :lol: - and about 6 shirts that are currently just about stretchy enough to get away with - but doubt they'll be comfortable in 4 wks time. IF i get the contract on Tues then i may as well buy some trousers

obviously i dont want to spend a fortune on work clothes but am looking for a nice pair of smart maternity trousers (suitable for the investment banking type environment) and maybe one or two shirts

anyone have any recommendations of things they've bought and been impressed with?
(i've seen some nice pinstripe trousers in dorothy perkins for ??25 but no idea if the cut is any good)

PS - i'll be 21wks on Tuesday and already have quite an obvious bump

Replies

• Options
    Next do fab maternity office trousers- order online they arrive pretty much next day very smart and very comfy!! Cost me ??22 x
  • Options
    http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/search/19/6?extra=sch&n=women&pid=473-932&exclude=00C00|00CA00&returnurl=%2fshop%2fgattcolour-black-att100-maternity-gattgender-women-cat-trousers-cat-jackets-0%3fnxti%3d0%26nxtv%3d000%26isort%3dbst&bct=%26quot%3bShop%20By%20Product%26quot%3b%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bBlack%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bMaternity%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bWomen%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bTrousers
  • Options
    Hi hun,

I found work stuff really really tricky. It was either super expensive (like Isabella Oliver - yum) or just crappy quality.

I work in finance and spend my time with Board Directors so had to be really quite smart but I didn't really rate any of the maternity suits I found.

Also had trouble findng stuff that would fit me while I was 'a bit pregnant' ie not with giant 30+ week bump but still too big to fit in normal clothes... Anyway for what it's worth here's what I ended up with....

Loads of stretchy wrap dresses from Jo Jo Maman Bebe and Next- this is one of them but the others must have been winter stock as they're not on the website now http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/detailfash.php?type=FASH&code=A9861&proddesc=Black+Ruffle+Wrap+Dress&supercategory=BRN00038&branch=&wcategory=CAT00222&catdesc=&super=0010BRN00038~0020BRN00040~0040CAT00222&treecode=TRE00009 As an aside this dress has also been a godsend for formal things like weddings and evening things at work as it can be dressed up a bit. Also managed to wear a couple of non pregnancy wrap dresses from M&S and Wallis (random I know) that were gathered and fitted over the bump. I had a particular love for dresses as it meant I could wear with uggs/ballet pumps when not seeing clients then slip heels on at the last minute to smarten up.

An assortment of wrap tops and a white shirt also from JJMB http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/detailfash.php?type=FASH&code=A9020&proddesc=Wrap+Tops&supercategory=BRN00038&branch=&wcategory=CAT00221&catdesc=&super=0010BRN00038~0020BRN00040~0030CAT00221&treecode=TRE00009 (not very formal on their own but with a little black swing jacket and a chunky necklace they were good with black trousers) and http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/detailfash.php?type=FASH&code=A9955&proddesc=Pintucked+Shirt&supercategory=BRN00038&branch=&wcategory=CAT00221&catdesc=&super=0010BRN00038~0020BRN00040~0030CAT00221&treecode=TRE00009

2 pairs of wide leg black trousers from New Look of all places http://www.newlook.co.uk/1605454/160545401/ProductDetails.aspx I actually bought the same pair in 2 leg legnths as until about 34 weeks I could comfortably wear heels but after that stuck to flatties most of the time as they made my hips kill. I have washed mine a gazillion times and they stick look pretty good (also don't have a baggy bum like lots of the maternity trousers I tried on)

Got some other bits from a few different places but the above were a godsend!

God that's a long answer isn't it!!! sorry for the essay, hope it's useful!

MN
    38+6
    xx
  • Options
    I dont usually have to dress too smart for work these days, as we've moved to the lab side so trousers and a top are fine... however I do like to look fairly smart.

I have a really lovely pair of smart under the bump trousers from red herring at debenhams. Had them in the xmas sale but here is a link http://www.debenhams.com/women/maternity#. Otherwise my first stop is dorothy perkins.

As for tops I've got must of my tops from Blooming Marvellous including 1 shirt, some wraps tops MN has from JJMB and I found a nice shirt in mothercare. At the mo the shirts are too big and i'm in the wrap tops and smart cardis more

good luck for Tues
    N 19+5
  • Options
    Newlook hun
  • Options
    I was going to suggest Next (online though, they don't tend to have much instore, but you can have it delivered to a store for free) - I had a couple of pairs of smart work trousers from there, and literally lived in them for about 5 months and they still looked smart at the end despite being washed a million times. I'm sure Next do some shirts too, and some that look like shirts but don't have buttons, if you see what I mean - so they might fit a bit better than proper shirts until your bump grows. Mothercare have some too.

I'm not working this time (SAHM to my 18 months old) so I'm living in jeans - think I need to get some more!
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else that Next is good for workwear. Blooming marvellous had a few nice bits in but not sure about whether they do workwear, could be worth a look xx
  • Options
    i have the trousers which michmummy posted - they're lovely and very comfy x
  • Options
    I definatly echo the work trousers from Next. I have also recently bought some tops in Mamas and Papas which are good quality and smart for work, If you don't want to spend to much it is also worth looking on Ebay as people sell bundles of clothes. I have done this and ended up with a nice mixture of bits and pieces.
  • Options
    thanks girls - brilliant suggestions!

MN - i'd totally forgotten about Jojo Maman Bebe - thanks for the links

unfortunately most of my nice smart clothes are all fitted - incl my fave grey dress from Karen Millen - just hope i will one day fit into them again :lol:
  • Options
    i got my work mat trousers from red herring in debs. however, from 30 weeks they were being fastened with a safety pin and covered with a bump band and i had to abandon them and stick to dresses. dresses are much more comfortable.
  • Options
    Hey all

I got my work clothes from Dorothy Perkins - really nice trousers, Peacocks, New Look and George at Asda do some nice tops for great value. There is no point spending loads on mat clothes when we are in them for so little time. I would rather save the money for baby stuff x
  • Options
    I got a great pair of black work trousers from M&s which were over the bump and so comfy. Only about ??20 I think x