Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

On way for 20 week scan ... and the results !!!!

Hi everyone.. i'm just in the process of downing a pint of water ready for my 20 week scan at 9 this morning.

Fingers crossed everything will be fine. And my husband wants to find out the sex, so lets see if baby will cooperate!!!

[Modified by: morgwick on 29 June 2007 12:49:56 ]

Replies

• Options
    morgwick just so you know for your 20 weeks scan you dont have to have a full bladder...i mean you might still wanna drink it but just so you know cause i did exactly the same then i was busting for the loo and the lady said i didnt need to so i rushed to the toilet before the scan lol

Sam 25w+1 x
  • Options
    Hi Gill,

just logged on so will have missed you but hope all has gone well. Let us know as soon as you get back.

SamanthaLeigh - thanks for that info, I've got my 20 wk scan soon and was gonna dot he same and drink a pint of water, glad you told me you don't have to I'd never have held it in.
  • Options
    They made me empty my bladder it was that full at my 20 week scan haha! Good Luck xxx
  • Options
    Hi ya,

I've just had my scan and everything seems to be fine. However we did have a little worrying time when the midwife mentioned soft markers. Apparently on a lot of scans there is sometimes a bright white marker which shouldn't be there. For us, this marker was in the heart. We were told not to worry though because the heart was fully formed and if they find one of these markers they have to report it, but usually it doesn't mean anything.

Anyway, she continued with the scan and everything seems structually sound with the baby. It was amazing to see. The baby was doing headstands!!!! We could also see its hands opening and closing. We asked if it was possible to see the sex, but typically the baby wasn't very cooperative.. kept turning away as if it was scan shy !!!!

The midwife, after much trying to get the baby to turn said she couldn't see any "dangly bits" so she thinks it is a girl :\) I didn't mind what, just wanted it to be healthly.

After the scan was done we went to see another midwife who was to talk us through the findings with regard to the soft marker. She said that it can be an indication that I am at a higher risk of something, but doesn't mean there is anything wrong. She obtained my blood results which shows I am very low risk for Downs Syndrome and Spina Bifida, so her conclusion is that I should totally ignore the soft marker, as my baby is likely to be perfectly fine.

What a relief.... so glad everything stacks in the favour of a healthy baby GIRL!!!!!

So excited now. Time to shop for pink (although given the baby was very active I still wont rule out a boy)

Hope everyone's scan goes well

Gill
  • Options
    Hi Gill

fantastic I'm so pleased all went well. I wouldn't paint the room pink just yet though i'v just had a friend say her sister was told a girl and she has just had a boy and she did paint everything pink.

can't wait for my scan now.
  • Options
    Hi Chriss,

Yeah i'm holding back a little bit, as it was hard to see. Baby was very active. It is great seeing her again though.

And they definitely took no blood, so you'll be ok for your wedding

Gill
  • Options
    Thanks hun,

I'm just so thrilled for you, it must feel nice to say 'her ' now with real meaning.

how long were you in the scan room for? i know it's more detailed than the forst scan.
  • Options
    I was in there for about 15 minutes, then I was with the midwife to go through the findings for about 10 minutes. So not too long.

I didn't see the message before I went about not needing a full bladder, so I was glad I wasn't kept hanging around for too long.

All documentation that was given to me said to drink the water, as helps to create a window to pick up the baby. So best checking with your midwife first if your thinking of not having the water.

I'd rather drink it than be disappointed.
  • Options
    Yeah I think i will have a bit at least, maybe not a pint though, i've done that before and had to go the loo before the scan. my bladder seems to be pretty full most of the time, don't know where it all comes from.