Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sharp pains

Hi. I am 19+2 and have today been getting the occasional sharp pain, low down on my right side. I have not felt the baby move yet but was told not to worry about it as it can be too early with your first baby. Anyone experienced sharp pains before? They only last a second or two but I'm starting to worry now! Thanks George, x

Replies

• Options
    Hi George35, I'm 16+2 and I get quite a few twinges - they're quite low down either side of my groin and can be quite sharp but like yours only last for a second or two.

Because I've had no bleeding or real discomfort I've haven't done anything about them because all my books tell you to expect these 'growing pains' so I don't know if these are normal.

You must have your next scan coming up shortly so that you should hopefully put your mind at rest. Have you got a heart monitor at home? I've only listened in twice but I find that really reassuring too.

If they're bothering you or you just want some reassurance maybe it's best to ask your MW or GP.

Take care xx

ps. Is this your first?

http://bd.lilypie.com/KmfHp1/.png

• Options
    Hi YumYum and George35

I'm 25+3 and since I was about 16 weeks I have had twinges low down on both sides (although mainly on the right) that only last a few seconds.

I did the same as you YumYum and ignored them until my next MW appointment. She confirmed that mine were nothing to worry about and that it is it the ligaments in your groin stretching, and just to take it easy if they hurt too much. I sometimes got them exercising as well and she said it was my body's way of telling me to slow down a bit!

If they keep bothering you, I would still check with your MW or GP.

Hope everything goes well for you both x
  • Options
    im 18+4 and also had a few pains they again were told by my midwife to be growing pains and also your bowel is on the right side which can sometimes be to blame too.
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments girls.

The bowel thing explains alot!! I've started getting constipated the last couple of weeks so maybe that could be to blame for some of the odd twinges- I've just been to Sainsburys tonight and stocked up on Raisin Bran so I'm hoping that does the trick! xx ;\)
  • Options
    I've actually just started to get sharp pains tonight so appreciate all the answers to this post as was quite worried that something might be wrong even though we heard the heartbeat today.

Hope the pain settles soon Yum Yum!

Gem 16+3
  • Options
    remember to drink lots of water too to help you poop image but yeh my mums a nurse n when i pointed to where the pain was she said thats where the bowel is. oh the joys of pregnancy image
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. It's really helpful.

I thought it was probably just growing/stretching pains. Stangely it stopped once I was home from work & resting last night. I think my baby must be sensible and be allergic to my workplace! 20 week scan on Tuesday so hopefully all will be well.

Yum Yum - which heart monitor did you buy?

George, x

[Modified by: George35 on August 30, 2007 06:51 AM]
  • Options
    I had quite bad sharp pains on both sides but mainly on my right, my doctor signed me off work for 2 weeks with stress after about week and a half they went away, now i only get them whenever i get alittle stressed!
    Samantha 21+4
  • Options
    ive had sharp pains from about 16 weeks, i have them for a day or 2 then they go again for a few weeks. i was told its just ligament stretching. i call them stretchy pains to my finance. x
  • Options
    Hi George35, I bought the Angelsounds Fetal Doppler - its really easy to use and I was amazed at how clearly we could hear the heartbeat. It cost about ??30 with delivery and the cheapest way to buy is on eBay - they're brand new but about ??10 cheaper than elsewhere on the internet and next day delivery too. I would love to use it everyday but even though its safe I'm trying to limit myself to listening in just once every few weeks! xx
  • Options
    You'll find all the way through your pregnancy youll get pains of some sort or another, and most people do get them so i wouldnt worry too much. Im now 34 weeks and constantly having pains just due to baby pushing down but in my 20 weeks i had quite nasty SPD which was a constant pain in right side of pelvis. Hope your pains ease off soon x
  • Options
    I have been getting the sharp pains too I asked my midwife about them on tuesday and she said that it was my muscles and tissues streching and not to worry about them it was quite normal. I too heard the heartbeat on tuesday, i am 16+3 now I think i am starting to feel my baby move aswell. Just feels like bubbles deep at the bottom of my tummy. (they feel different to wind to me plus i don't usually suffer from trapped wind and when i do my belly makes lots of noises).