Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I'm craving sand!!! Anyone else?

And I can't believe it, with my last pregnancy it was baby powder, which at least I could buy in the shops! Now I have to wait until I go on holiday next month! Does anyone else have these?image

Replies

• Options
    OMG!!!! You dont eat it do you???? lol
    Sorry if that sounds stupid, personally I would get in touch with MW and let her know, it is a bit strange. They say that pica (which is what its known as) is usually because you are missing something in diet, some people eat coal and papaer and stuff too. Strange what our bodies do to us lol
    Amy 34+1 xx
  • Options
    OMG, EEWWWWWW!!lol!

Sorry but what on earth do you do with it, eat it? smell it?
    TMI but if you eat it doesnt it give you a rather sore bottom when "going" to the loo???lol!!

For me its toasted cheese and tomato sarnies lol! not nearly as filling as sand though:lol:
  • Options
    I think it might be linked to an iron deficiency (as are other werid cravings like soil). Are your iron levels ok?

• Options
    Blimey, thats a new one lol

Is it the sensation in your mouth that you like? Be careful if it is hun, it could damage your teeth xxx
  • Options
    dear god!! dont eat sand!!!! whoever said see ure midwife cos of pica is right xx
  • Options
    babs3+bean - well if the sand hurts your bottom...just go back to the baby powder lol..that should feel quite silky coming out??? lol

Only joking,..clearly I dont reccommend eating either things lol!...although now I am intrigued as to what it would feel like when going to the toilet??!
    lol
    xx
  • Options
    urghhhh thats making me cringe.

I've started to crave any sort of cereal!!
  • Options
    Ok ladies, I don't actually want to eat it, just kind of run my hands through it if that makes sense. It was the same with the baby powder!
  • Options
    Oh OK lol I always relate cravings to eating image xxx
  • Options
    :lol: me too malkymum xxx
  • Options
    I've heard that some ladies like to suck or eat sponges! There are definitely some weird cravings out there. My milk and cheese fettish suddenly seems very normal! image

xx
  • Options
    Not had any strange cravings, hope they stay away if its anything like that.

The strangest I heard before some of the ones posted on here was a Mars Bar dipped in Jam!

Emmx
    17+4 xx
  • Options
    LOL babymomma22 I read that as fire FIGHTERS NOT fire LIGHTERS LOL!!!
    Sorry lol!! nothing like a hunky fireman to get the old cravings going lol!!:lol::lol:
  • Options
    HI
    I didn't have any food cravings with my last pregnancy but kept cleaning everything with bleach as the smell was heaven, went through a bottle a week in my last week also the smell of bare plaster (my friend had just had her house replastered) It was soo good.

However this time I have a thing for Fab ice lolloies and Boots heartburn remedy.
  • Options
    I must admit the thought of sand gritty in my teeth drives me crazy.

But, both my youngest daughter and my little sister both ate huge quantities of sand as babes/ toddlers. My sister still does now, when she is at the beach she still eats a few handfuls. It's sort of become a family joke.

My youngest daughter was at the sea side in august and she ate it by the shovel full. We obviously tried to stop her, but I wasn't keen to ruin our holiday by making too much fuss. Anyhow long story short, it caused her no harm, and so while I am certainly not recommending it, if you tried a spoonful, it is very unlikely to cause you any harm. I also thought it might help to know you aren't crazy, there are other (very wonderful - I know I'm biased but anyhow) people who have had this same craving.

xx
  • Options
    Hi
    Well count me in as one of the mad ones. When I was pregnant I craved concrete. Well, not concrete as such, but Thermalite bricks that our garage was made out of. Some of the bricks were leftover in the garage and eventually I did crack and hack a little bit off.

It's very fine, just like sand when you crunch it, gives you that same crunch.

I went to the midwife who said that she ate washing powder and it didn't do her any harm but to try and not do it.
    I had iron tablets that didn't make much difference to my cravings. There is very little on the internet about Pica and research into but, just a load of mums like me comparing stories.

Unfortunately my cravings never went. I still regularly sit and eat my way through concrete blocks of thermalite, I have a regular supply in the kitchen cupboard. Its not the taste I want it's texture.

So, ladies who also want things like sand, I can't give you any advice, but say you aren't alone!
  • Options
    I am so glad I'm not crazy. I've been craving to nibble on sand a bit, I haven't, but keep thinking about it. Not only that, I want to FEEL sand too, on my hands, my feet, etc. And I'm like craving to swim in water real bad, maybe even taste it without swallowing it. It's so weird.
    And the sanitizer water at work smells AMAZING, like I could stand there and sniff it all day.