Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Boy or Girl?? Can you tell from symptoms/body shape/tales?

Hi Girls

Since being 9-10 weeks pregnant I have heard loads of people say that they had different symptoms from having a girl or boy, lots saying that when they had a girl the symptoms were MUCH worse.

My mum has this theory that your body shape distinguishes a boy or girl, if you are heavier on the hips and tummy your more likely to get a girl, and if all the weight goes on your bum then its a boy.

I have heard old wives tales too that suggest if you tie a piece of cotton on a needle, then the direction it spins indicates a boy or a girl.

Can anyone tell me if they have any suggestions or any thoughts on these theories??

Just for fun but interesting if there's any truth in it!!! XXXXX

Replies

• Options
    well I say all the theories are pants lol. Every symptom suggested girl according to old wives tales and my 2nd pg was the opposite to when I was pg with my little boy but this one was a boy too lol
  • Options
    OOH interesting, it was just a thought becasue people keep telling me these things, just wondered if anyone else had heard these things or had anything to share on their pregnancies if they had already had a boy and a girl.

Any thoughts welcomed! XX image
  • Options
    This is my third pregnancy and they have all been different i have one of each already and this pregnancy is different that both of them!!!!
    Shelley
    XX
  • Options
    well i have a boy and when preg with him i was sick all the time up untill about 24 weeks i carried very low

This time round i am ment to be having a little girl and i have had no sickness but loss of appitie and i am carring high

so mine have been different (well if this is a girl lol)
  • Options
    Great stories girls, Check these beauties Bec Williams sent me.. awesome crazyness!! LOL.

Oh and as for old wives tales...check these beauties out that I have found!! Only copied the best ones...

Old Wives Tale #1: Heartburn

If a pregnant woman experiences heartburn throughout the 9 months of pregnancy, she'll have a baby born with a full head of hair.

Old Wives Tale #3: Cravings Curse

This old wives tale is fun to hang over Tarzan's head. Basically if anyone denies a pregnant woman whatever she is craving, they will get a sty in his/her eye. Personally, I think all men should read this and always give into whatever us pregnant women want! For their own benefit, of course.

Old Wives Tale #4: Heart Rate

If the baby's heart rate is above 140 bpm, it is said that the baby will be a girl. If it is under 140 bpm, then it will be a boy. At our last appointment, the heart rate was 168 bpm, so maybe we're having a little girl?

Old Wives Tale #5: Ugly Baby

This wives tale is weird. If a pregnant woman sees something ugly, she will have an ugly baby. Um, ok.

Old Wives Tale #6: Coffee

If a baby is born with light-brown birthmarks, it is said that the mom drank too much coffee or had unfulfilled cravings while she was pregnant.

Old Wives Tale #11: Full Moon

A full moon was believed to cause a woman to go into labor and give birth.

Old Wives Tale #12: Shape of Belly

If you are carrying high with a big, round belly, you are having a girl. If you are carrying low with a smaller belly that sticks straight out, it's a boy.

Old Wives Tale #13: Ring Test

Using a string, hang your wedding ring over your pregnant belly. You are having a girl if the ring swings back and forth and it's a boy if it swings in a circle.

Old Wives Tale #15: Key Test

This test involves a key. If you pick up a key at the top (the roundest part), you are going to have a boy. If you pick up the key at the bottom (smallest part), you are going to have a girl. If you happen to grab the key in the middle, congrats, it's twins!

Old Wives Tale #17: Drano Test

The drano test combines a tablespoon of Drano and urine together. If the mixture turns green, it's a girl. If it turns blue, it's a boy.

Old Wives Tale #18: Acne

If you have acne while pregnant, it's a girl. It's thought that acne during pregnancy is caused by the extra hormones.

Old Wives Tale #19: Cravings

People believe that if you are craving salty foods while pregnant, you can count on having a boy. If you crave sweets, fruit, and orange juice, you are having a little girl.

Old Wives Tale #20: Smell of Garlic

If a pregnant woman eats a clove of garlic and the smell does not come out of her pores, it's a girl. If the smell seeps out of her pores, it's a boy.

Old Wives Tale #22: Skin under Left Eye

The eye test is when a ???????V??????? or ???????branches??????? appear when you pull down the skin under your left eye. If you see a ???????V??????? or ???????branches??????? in the white part, you're having a girl. I have a ???????V???????, so one more point for a girl.

Old Wives Tale #24: Wooden Spoon, Scissors, and Pink Bows

Apparently if you put a wooden spoon and a pair of scissors under your bed and a pink bow under your pillow, you'll have yourself a little baby girl. I think this sounds like one of the craziest myths I've ever heard. Anyone try it?

Old Wives Tale #27: Legs

If your legs get really big, you're having a boy. If your legs stay in shape and lean, it's a girl. I think it's too early for me to tell on this one.

Old Wives Tale #28: Moodiness and a Little Pecker

If you are really moody, you are having a girl since you have another extra girl hormones in you. Your pregnancy will make you smile and be more happy if you are having a boy because there's a little penis inside you. Not sure how true this is, but it sure does make me laugh!

Old Wives Tale #31: Mom's Beauty

Basically you are having a girl if your beauty disappears during pregnancy. It is said that the girl ???????steals??????? the mother's beauty. If you think that pregnancy has never made you look more beautiful, you might just be having a little boy.

Old Wives Tale #33: Clumsy vs. Graceful

If the pregnant woman is graceful throughout her pregnancy, she's having a girl. If she becomes clumsy, she's having a boy.

Old Wives Tale #37: Dad's Weight Gain

If the dad-to-be gains weight while you are pregnant, it's a girl. If he doesn't gain weight, you're having a boy. So far Tarzan has lost a couple of pounds (while eating ice cream), so maybe a boy is what we're having.

Old Wives Tale #43: Protein

When a pregnant woman craves meat and cheese, count on a boy.

Old Wives Tale #45: Hair on Legs

If the hair on your legs has been growing at record speeds, you might be having a boy.

Old Wives Tale #47: Urine

What color is your pee? If it is bright yellow, you will have a little boy. If your urine is a dull yellow, plan on a girl.

Old Wives Tale #48: Nose

Do you feel like your nose is growing and getting wider? If so, you might be having a boy.

Old Wives Tale #51: Baby Names

It is said that when you can only think of specific names for a boy or a girl, you will have that particularly baby. We can only agree on girls names, so we'll see how accurate this one is.
  • Options
    Well they have been partly true for me - when I was pregnant with DS I couldn't eat at all as bump was so high - and i didn't put on a pound anywhere else (and actully ended up lighter!) and my husband said I glowed and never looked better..

BUT this time round I'm expecting a girl, and can't stop eating - sweet things especially and she has definalty stolen my looks. I looked washed out and spotty, and my hair which became thick and shiney with DS is now limp and dull. And she seems to be sitting much lower as i can't stop weeing!! And my hips are ballooning at the same rate as bump..lol.

So could be coincidense but for me the gender predictor tests based on old wives tales you can do online were true both times!!xx
  • Options
    Old Wives Tale #1: Heartburn

If a pregnant woman experiences heartburn throughout the 9 months of pregnancy, she'll have a baby born with a full head of hair.

g/c from Baby again but I had horrific heartburn throughout the 9 months of my pregnancy and at 9 months old DS is still waiting for that hair to grow :lol:

xx
  • Options
    hi hun, when i was pregnant with my dd my body shape wasn't different than when i was with my son, however I went off garlic and got covered in spots when i was pregnant with my dd, getting spots cause of the different hormonal. xx
  • Options
    Hello,

I was convinced that i was having a girl, all my weight was round my waist and bum, i craved sweet things, and fruit juice, the heart beat was fast, over 155, i had awful morning sickness and a face full of spots, oh and oh has gained weight with me! I was shocked when i found out i was having a little boy!

Fun to guess though!

Gem x

• Options
    My 2 pregnancy have been completely different! First a girl and this one a boy. My bump is totally different and a lot smaller than my baby girl was so its all true for me!! xx
  • Options
    lol i dont even bother reading em, my friend has 2 girls and the pregnancies couldnt have been more diff!
  • Options
    I dont think there is any truth in them either, apart from one. At my last two midwife appointments she has listened to the heartbeat & said your having a boy. She is right we are, just wish she would remember saying this as I cant help thinking if we didnt know the sex of our baby she would have bloody upset me 2 weeks in a row! haha xxx
  • Options
    hiya this is my 3rd pregnacy and with my other 2 they were pritty much the same i carry my bump the same the only thing diferant is with my daught i had no morning sickness but with my son and this one i have or had morning sickness . but agian with my son i would eat at meals times but never wanting more . with my daughter i had a eating disorder and ate lots as with this one i can eat all my meals and eat lots of little thing threw out the day . with this one i have no clue if its a baby boy or girl
  • Options
    Hi,

My two previous pregnancies were both different, with my first (girl) I had terrible morning sickness all the way through, put on lots of weight and generally felt quite ill. With my second (boy) the morning sickness wasn't as bad and i didn't put on as much weight. BUT, with my second I paid more attention to what I should and shouldn't do and not eat as much junk food :lol:

I knew with my two what I was having, even though i didn't find out from the hospital, it wasn't about the symptoms, it was just a feeling. I don't believe the old wives tales.

I know it's early days with this one (4 weeks) but it already feels different to both the others.
  • Options
    as becci boo stated, the theories in my eyes are pants, this is my fourth pregnancy, all been differnt and they have all been boys, i haven't told people what sex this one is and lots of people have said i look like im carrying a girl, as i am all round, i really think it has nothing to do with the sex of the baby to what symptoms you have, but thats just me xx
    Hales
    24+3 xx
  • Options
    G/c from ttc but the whole meat / sweet stuff was not true for me! When I was pg with my son I turned complete vegetarian!! Meat made me feel violently ill !!! Sweet stuff however the craving of choice was thorntons choc buttons!! Luckily mil worked there!!
    I did have morning sickness really either more constant nausea think I was sick 3 times in total!!!

Xxx
  • Options
    I had a girl last time and was very ill for the first 12 weeks. This time around not a thing no sign of any sickness at all! I also done the wedding ring test this time around and that spun around like crazy, which is for a boy, but I had my scan at 16 weeks, which is showing a girl, So no truth in these old wives tales for me.
    xx
  • Options
    I dont believe in that at all if all them tales where true id be having a girl and im not im having a boy lol.
  • Options
    i would said its all bit silly, all my pregnancies were different, differant symptoms, the only thing that was the same was i carried the same evrytime, all mine were girls! xx
  • Options
    I love reading all of these old wives tales!!

I'm 32+1 today, and have a yellow bump.
    I get told that the way I'm carrying suggests boy. I'm all out front, and haven't put any weight on anywhere else really - BUT my mum had 4 girls and carried all of us out front.

I've been told bump is quite low which suggests boy.

I haven't had any sickness which they say is boy.

I crave sweet things which suggests girl.

Hubby has put on weight alongside me!

Seems like i'm having a boy and girl!?!
    xxx