Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

this is my first im worried about my dog!!!!!

i have a 4 year old staffy hes great with kids and babies! im worried that hes gunna be really jealous! has any one else had this problem1 we have had him a year now, he was from a rescue centre he was abused we think! he doesnt like men and protects me alll the time even when oh cuddles me he tries 2 get in between us! :lol: im worried hes gunna feel left out can any 1 help?

Replies

• Options
    Hi there

I was watching a programme about this the other day cause I have a cat I'm a bit worried about. They reckon you need to introduce the animal to the baby as soon as you get home, and not try and keep the dog away as that will only make him more curious and jealous, but to never leave the animal alone with the baby. Just make sure you give him a fuss when you get home and buy him a new toy so he doesn't feel left out. I'm sure he'll be fine but I work with an excellent dog behaviourist if you'd like some further help. He's on hols at the moment but i'm sure he'd be more than happy to give you some advise when he gets back!

My cat hates all women, including me, but just adores my hubby so I'm very worried he might scratch the baby especially if I have a girl! We are going to give him the benefit of the doubt but one swipe and he's out of the door for good. I love my pets but baby will always come first!!

Good luck
  • Options
    whether he feels left out or treated differently is really down to you no-one can answer that. There are things you can do for him to acclimatise him to the idea of a baby and your indivdual baby prior to their meeting, start of getting a sound cd with babies crying to acclimatise him to the noise, when you get a pram train him to walk nicely beside it so he gets his walks and enjoys them with the baby, get him used to a doll if necessary and just reiterate the boundaries.

If he has any training or discipline issues now is the time to focus them like not jumping up making sure he understands the move command the leave command.

Staffies are fantastic with kids but you never leave a child or a baby in the same room as the dog by themselves.
  • Options
    oh i knw that! thats a good idea getting a doll! i mite just do that! i was also thinkin of buyin baby grows 4 the baby and gettin him used 2 the smell 4 when we bring baby home! i love my dog to bits and if the time came were he did growl at my baby he would have 2 go but, but not just to any1 id have 2 check em out there home were theyd take him 4 walks! n stuff like that! hes my lil baby! :lol:
  • Options
    you would get rid of your dog for a growl...sorry i dont agree with that, the best type of dog is a growling dog it's the dogs that give no warning of a problem that are dangerous. A growling dog is communicating a problem to it's owner it's when the owner dismisses or ignores a dogs communication that children get injured.

It is sad that you feel that way
  • Options
    i would not let my dog growl at my baby! im sorry but that is just wrong! i had my hand ripped apart by a dog when i was younger and would not let that happen to my child. im soory but if a dog growled at ur baby would you be fine with that coz i certainly wouldnt!
  • Options
    I worry about my little dog too but I think she will be fine. I bought a baby crying CD which I play to her now and again to get her used to the noise.

Our little one is spolit rotten and even sleeps with us but she does respond when she is told off, we only have to raise our voices slightly and she listens. I am fortunate in that she is only tiny tiny and I have bought everything with stands so she can't get close. I think we all just have to be careful and like u say make sure we carry on paying our pets some attention too. Our vet here is pretty good and has given us some advise, just to treat her like u would another child and pay them attention too but also she has to know what she can and can't do. I hope all goes well. Happy pets to us all xxx
  • Options
    as i have worked with dogs in rescue and still do as i have studies and read up on canine communication yes i would it;s a damn sight less dangerous than being around a dog that has been told off for trying to communicate, you warn someone to back off dont you maybe a couple of times if they dont comply you will snap. Then you suddenly snap with no warning cos they dont listen to you anyway and when you try to tell them you get told off regardless.

He is a dog he does not speak human as his carer and as a mother you need to consider this or you are better off getting rid of him now than turning him into an uncommunicating dog and letting another family taking him in as their child may not get a growl as a warning
  • Options
    REbekah you may not agree with what i am saying and you may not care perhaps you should venture onto a doggy forum and ask the question but how is your dog supposed to tell you your child is annoying him.....

It normally goes like this child annoys dog - dog moves
    child follows dog - dog moves again
    Child follows dog - puts hackles up growls or gives other signs backs off
    child follows dog - dog growls (owner ignores or tells dog off)
    Child follows dog, sitcks oen down it's ear canal pulls it's ear or tail - dog bites - owner has dog destroyed

Your dog is communicating with you listen to it - or do you plan on ignoring your child if it cries

May be a harsh comparison but it's been seen many times and the dog is always the one that suffers
  • Options
    so because you work with dogs and read up on some studie that makes you knw my dog how??????
    when you knw my dog then maybe id take in what you are saying! i dnt knw what my dog has benn treated like and take every day as it comes but my child will always come well before my dog!
  • Options
    no i dont know your dog but my point is still valid a dog that growls is a lot less dangerous than one that doesn't and no i do not know your dogs background i am trying to point out that growling is a good thing and part of your dogs communication and should not be discouraged but needs to be heeded.

Yes my child will be more important than my dogs. But i would be very wary of what my dog was trying to communicate with me as to prevent future problems rather than ignore or be oblivious to it.
  • Options
    You asked for advice i never meant to offend you, soe dog owners are naive and education is always the key, but clearly you are not interested which is your perogative, i hope other dog owners and mummies will take what i have said into consideration.

My youngest in my avater pic is a boundless one year old 11 stone freak i am sure he will keep me and the baby highly amused he already know the baby is there and sniffs it every day so think he is quite excited, have a baby gate on the babies room and he has taken to sleeping outside it, so she already has a nominated guard.

My biggest concern is the baby will be drowned by drool when my back is turned

[Modified by: TWS on July 25, 2007 02:48 PM]
  • Options
    Hey

Rebekah i know what you mean about being worried how ur dog will react, i have a one year old staff who is not quite sure how to act around young kids, thinks he can jump on them like adults! However i totally agree with TWS as growling is their way of communicating, for example my dog growls or barks when he gets a toy stuck under sofa because he wants me to come get it for him! It is scary not knowing how they will get on but i think you just have to wait and see as every dog is different.The good thing is Staff's are knowing for being good with children so lets hope everything works out! I dont think TWS is saying the baby doesnt come before your dog she is simply just saying you wouldnt want a dog that doesnt communicate because as it has already been said you wouldnt know when they are unhappy with something, which can be dangerous.

Charlie x
  • Options
    Thanks Claire perhaps i came across as too harsh, think we all do on subjects we are passionate about and add hormones....

As staffy owners you both i am sure the DDA and banning breeds makes you nervous so i always feel the need to educate people where possible and remind them that dogs are animals and cannot be expected to react the same way as humans and their communication is vastly different from our own i.e. i do not sniff a lot of peoples bums though i believe bum sniffing comes part and parcel of being a mother so tha t will change possibly a bad example.

• Options
    hey TWS

My name is charlie but you can me claire if you prefere lol! Im not worried about any of that, i know staffs dont have a very good image for themselves but i believe its down to the way they are trained, my dog is a big softy deep down although he does like to playfight with my boyfriend (think thats gonna have to stop?) he knows he cant with children i s'pose its just their instinct?

charlie x ;\)
  • Options
    sorry Charlie selective dyslexia normally hits me with numbers.

yeah was just trying to explain why i pop on my soap box so often with campaigning and writing letters to MP's and dog protests i do tend to let me gob run off with me but am not a nasty person and only meant to help Rebekah rather than ifnuriate her to run away.

My family dog is a rescue staffie he cannot be around other dogs due to his abuse but is pretty great in all other aspects and like you say is very responsive with my nephew, he loves raggy games but if my nephew picks up the toy the dog will walk away rather than play with him like he knows he would hurt him.

I am just as nervous as all of you my first baby too and i know how it all goes in theory ....but practice is always another matter.
    Thanks x
  • Options
    Hi all

I have a golden retreiver and got my oh to bring home the first item of clothing my lo wore in the hospital so sasha could get use to the smell we just kept an eye on her and fussed her a lot my lo is two now and they get on great together but I still wont leave them alone together it not fair on the dog my lo thinks she a climbing frame x x x
  • Options
    Hi. Hope you don't mind me butting in on your forum (I'm normally in baby)!
    We have an 8 month old (baby lol) and a Jack Russell.
    I think everyone knows Jack Russells as being yappy little ankle biters. Well mine fits that description perfectly!!
    She hates other dogs and will do anything possible to eat any that she see's.
    Behind closed doors she is completely different - a total joy to own with hundreds of cute little ways.
    I had quite a bad birth and my parents looked after our dog for the few weeks after Ben was born so they didn't meet til Ben was a couple of months old.
    Everything has been fine so far. What I do think is that if anything does happen it will be us that is at fault because as TWS says any good dog will always give a warning and if we fail to act upon our dogs warning she can't really be blamed. I trust my dog completely with Ben but even so if I am stupid enough to turn my back for even 1 second when they are together it would be my responsibility and my fault if anything was to happen.
    My dogs called Milly. xxx
  • Options
    hi there everyone,
    i have 3 kids and am pregnant again baby due in jan.....i have a four year old rottweiler that is such a big softy, we brought him when my youngest was 1 so he has been brought up with lttle ones, my kids climb all over him and pull his ears and not once has he ever gone for my kids ..... he just gets up and moves. my mother-in-law is saying that i should now get rid of the dog because he hasnt been round babies before.....if he can be so placid with three boys climbing all over him then im sure i wont have a problem with a newborn that sleeps the day away, it is the owners that make a dog what it is, good luck to you all x x
  • Options
    mothers and mother in laws do that if your rottie is used to young kids i am sure the baby will be no probs, most rotties i know are fab with everyone and everything cuddly teddy bears a bit like the french mastiffs i have though think i probably lucked out in the slobber department.

Rotties are great family pets only problem i find is that sometimes you trip over them like sleeping policemen.:lol:

hi there everyone,
    i have 3 kids and am pregnant again baby due in jan.....i have a four year old rottweiler that is such a big softy, we brought him when my youngest was 1 so he has been brought up with lttle ones, my kids climb all over him and pull his ears and not once has he ever gone for my kids ..... he just gets up and moves. my mother-in-law is saying that i should now get rid of the dog because he hasnt been round babies before.....if he can be so placid with three boys climbing all over him then im sure i wont have a problem with a newborn that sleeps the day away, it is the owners that make a dog what it is, good luck to you all x x
  • Options
    hey tws you could start a new forum on pets i would deffinatly read it as i leart a lot just on what you have written on here.
    my dog is only 1 but doesnt realise he is the size of a small horse!!! so i worried my new baby will get trampled on . i know he is ok with kids as i have a 10 year old and have loads of kids around every day and my friend has a 2 year old who is a regular visitor but you post on the growling thing was so informative so far we haven't been in that position as he has been a happy good boy but i do worry as he is now 1 that his teenage hormones are kicking in so thanks for the info
    fea