Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

12 week scan worries

Hi ladies,

For most of my pregnancy so far I've been pretty symptomless, and it's been wasted on me as I've spent most of my time worrying that it's a bad sign. I've had slightly sore boobs which have come and gone and I did have a really big appetite up until about last week, but that's really been it.

Anyway, I'm coming up to 12 weeks now and my 12 week scan is next Wednesday and I feel like I can't stop obsessing over it. I've had no stomach pains (except stretchy ligament type pains) and no bleeding at all throughout the pregnancy but I can't help but worry that when we get there we'll find that our little bean hasn't made it. I think it's partly because I imagine that if anything happened at this stage then we wouldn't find out until our scan as it would take longer for the body to realise the bean wasn't alive.

In the mornings when I wake up it's all I can think about and it is really getting me down throughout the day at points too, I just can't seem to take my mind off it. Earlier on I had worries too but I was able to take my mind off it but now it's getting so close and it's such a milestone I just feel that it's all I can think about.

I had an private early scan at 9+1 where the little bean was fine, he had a strong heartbeat and he'd tripled in size since a previous early scan before that (at 6+5).

Was anyone the else like this before their 12 week scan? I've talked to my husband about it and he's been really supportive but I feel so bad for him as I'm so miserable at the moment, and he can't really understand how I feel as it's not really the same for him. I just feel really alone at the moment because of it.

Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who's felt the same.

Kat xx
11+2

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun, I do feel for you because I know how your feeling! My 12 week scan got messed up and I'm not having a scan until next thurs when I will be 14+4 and have convinced myself something is wrong! It's the worst feeling in the world! My worst problem is I keep googling things and scaring myself silly! I did have a lot of symptoms but they have started to die off, I know that's because I'm not past 12 weeks but it's still unerving, this will def be one of the longest weeks of my life! I doesn't help that there seems to have been a run of MMC in the august forum! I have to try to stay positive though, I've had no pain or bleeding which must be a good sign! Good luck hun, let me know how your scan goes, I'm sure we will both have a lovely, positive experience! Xxx
  • Options
    Hi Kat,

I can really sympathise - I was just like this. The main reason I was so worried was that I had had a previous pregnancy that resulted in MMC. In this pregnancy though, my symptoms came and went loads and at one point I was 100% convinced I had had another MMC. If you've had a scan at 9 weeks and all has been fine then I am sure all will be fine at your 12-week scan. The chance of a MC/MMC go down with every week of first tri and in fact in some places they do your 12-week scan at any time from 10-weeks onwards as there is so little difference between 10 and 12 weeks.

Try to distract yourself if you can - do anything not pregnancy/baby linked - meet for lunch with friends, go the gym, go shopping (not for baby stuff!), arrange a (sober!) night out - and your 12-week scan will soon be here,

Take care,

Ruth xxx
    32+5
  • Options
    Hi Kat,

I can really sympathise - I was just like this. The main reason I was so worried was that I had had a previous pregnancy that resulted in MMC. In this pregnancy though, my symptoms came and went loads and at one point I was 100% convinced I had had another MMC. If you've had a scan at 9 weeks and all has been fine then I am sure all will be fine at your 12-week scan. The chance of a MC/MMC go down with every week of first tri and in fact in some places they do your 12-week scan at any time from 10-weeks onwards as there is so little difference between 10 and 12 weeks.

Try to distract yourself if you can - do anything not pregnancy/baby linked - meet for lunch with friends, go the gym, go shopping (not for baby stuff!), arrange a (sober!) night out - and your 12-week scan will soon be here,

Take care,

Ruth xxx
    32+5

I couldn't agree more with what Ruth has said. I had a MMC around the same time as her and now we are due a day apart!

There will always be that element of worry throughout your pregnancy - it's preparing you for a lifetime of it once your baby is here!

The thing with a baby forum is that it is all about babies, and you are bound to read very unfortunate stories.

Lots of luck for next week.

Take care.

H x

32+6

• Options
    I was the same, convinced we were going to go for scan and they would find something wrong.

I'm sure everything will be fine hun image Even when they got the picture up she was led down on her stomach and i was like oh great here we go just as i thought then all of a sudden she jumped up and went mental!

I know its easy to say but try and take you mind of it with other things, it will soon be here image x
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies, I decided yesterday to book another scan for today just to put my mind at ease, as the scan clinic we use to reassurance scans which are fairly quick and just make sure everything is okay.

I'm pleased to say that our little bean is doing rather well! He was wiggling around and he's 4.6cm, so he's measuring at the dates he should be.

Really pleased that all is well and I can now relax a bit and stop worrying. I know I now only have one week until our 12 week scan but I think that will be us for any additional scans!

Thanks again for your replies, they really helped yesterday xxx

• Options

Hi All

I am 34 Years old and 10 weeks pregnant with my second child.  I too am miserable at the moment (so my friends point out).  I have had 2 MC in the past, one being a molar pregnancy where I nearly lost my life too, so I am anxious about my 12 week scan.  I get patronised by people saying they forgive my tetchy or moodiness because Im pregnant, they have no idea my worries as none of them have had an MC or as far as I know a troubled pregnancy.  Just need some piece of mind!!