Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

SPD and pain relief

Hi ladies,

Was wondering what everyone does for pain relief from this bloody condition....its driving me mad :x

I'm currently 38+4 and have had spd for about 2 weeks, was confirmed by my mw last Friday. During the day its painful if i do too much and at night its just the worst - turning over in bed, changing postions, getting up for a wee etc takes forever with me huffing, puffing, swearing cos of the pain, my poor hubby!!!

Anyway, generally i can "manage" during the day as i can limit what i do but at certain times, night included, its just unbearable.

My mw said i'd just have to put up with it and hopefully it'll go after the birth but i was wondering if any of you take pain relief for it? I know you can have physio etc..but do any of you take paracetamol or paracetamol and codeine or use a hot water bottle?

Don't know whether to see my gp or just try and self manage, also feel a bit upset as i've managed without any kind of pain relief throughout my whole pregnancy, even when i've felt rough. I know that the ones that i've mentioned are "safe" in pregnancy but feel as though i shouldn't be taking anything or that i've failed if i do as don't want it to affect my bubba.

Any tips or info greatfully received

A fed up SH 38+4 :\(

Replies

• Options
    i was giving codene hun, i take one b4 bed and then on a morning b4 i get out of bed, helps me sleep aswell x
  • Options
    Thanks hayley, i've got some paracetamol n codeine in my cupboard so maybe i'll give that a go...have also been suffering cos of lack of sleep so hopefully it'll help.

Do you think i need to see my gp as i read that codeine near to birth can affect the baby's breathing and as i'm so close....think i'm worrying a bit too much, not sure???
  • Options
    I had SPD with both pregnancies and it's damned painful. Both times i ended up on crutches and housebound - it's not a nice thing to have to cope with!. nobody would judge you for taking some pain relief for it. Although I must say you've done very well to not take any so far!

Wearing satiny pjs in bed helps when you move about and turn - and also putting a cushion between your legs. I had a massive body pillow when I was pg with matthew - it was dead comfy and really helped me.

Also, sounds silly, but my physio said to put a carrier bag on the car seat so that I can turn easier to get in and out of the car easier. That worked nicely too!

I personally would take paracetamol before getting out of bed, and at intervals when you need it. If you want to see your GP - you can do, just to let them know how you're going. However, mine was sympathetic but useless - there's nothing they can really do about it. But they can put your mind at rest about what relief you can take for it.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

xxx
  • Options
    Thanks so much poppygirl. I've been sleeping with a normal pillow inbetween my legs for a couple of weeks now which seems to help initially but the effect wears off as the night goes on.

Thanks for the tips on getting in n out of the car too, it takes me ages as it hurts so much, i try to keep my knees together as much as i can to help.

I think i'll probably call my gp tmoro to put my mind at rest but at the same time will probably take some paracetamol tonight to see if it helps at all.

Thanks for your well wishes, just want to meet my baby now xxx
  • Options
    codene can stop contractions if the start, if you go in to early labour the MW gives you 90mlg of codene to stop contractions, ive never heard off it harming baby and MW never said anything like that to be when she give me them but i would ask anyway hun xx

38+5 x
  • Options
    Thanks hayley, will do. I read about how codeine can affect the baby's breathing on an spd thing i was looking at and was also told at antenatal classes about codeine is in the same group as morphine/pethidine and thats why some people don't like to have it as pain relief during their labour or near to the birth as it can then be difficult to b/f too.

Oh, good luck with the rest of your preg, you're due the day before me!!! xxx
  • Options
    I have been suffering from this for the last week now too. Am only 26 wks so worried that it might get much worse before due date. I tend to be worse during the night and first thing in the morning, but do feel that it seems to ease off during the day when I'm on the go.

Mentioned to my MW and she just said, I've got the physio's number if I need it.......

Will try the pillow between the legs at night and see how that goes.

BBxx
  • Options
    I was on morphine for the spd pain and crutches with support belt and physio. The morphine never effected babys breathing with my little one. I would suggest going to see GP hun. good luck xx
  • Options
    Thanks wannababy, def gonna contact gp tmoro.

Good luck babybunny, hope it doesn't get worse for you, being so close to labour is my saving grace ( as worried as i am about that too) xxx
  • Options
    I've been suffering for 3 weeks and I'm only 22+3 now. I spoke to my midwife yesterday who suggested paracetamol. She said if it's the same when I'm 25 weeks then I'll be referred for physio.

Hope everyone is feeling better soon x
  • Options
    i find a bath before bed and a milky drink helps with the pain and makes me sleepy enough to drop off to sleep. ive also been known to have a bath in the middle of the night when it wakes me up and is too painful (have been in tears in the night far too often with this bloody SPD!). A hot water bottle helps me too. I hope the next couple of weeks go quickly for you hun xx
  • Options
    ive had it since 13 weeks. Im 20 weeks tom and in bloody agony now. if i rest i can manage the days but tbh its pretty darn hard to rest when ive got a 4 yr old and 18month old running me ragged. I just feel like such an invalide. It gets me rly upset sometimes. I cant even pick olly up anymore image
    i have bn referred for accupuncture by my MW but im STILL waiting for an app *sigh*
    Anyway the pillows def help but like you say trying to get up to pee in the night is a nightmare. I have to wake hubby up to help me up.
    I dont have a clue what i will do if i end up on crutches. How the hell does that work with 2 kids and the school run etc! image
    Sorry, ive just moaned and rly not helped you at all.
    Just think the end is in sight for you hon. I had it from 36 weeks with olly and was rly quite ok . I hurt but i just kept counting down the weeks/days. Bit harder this time tho. I feel full term already lol

Hope it eases for you soon hon and like i said, the end is nigh.

Jenn
    19+6
  • Options
    I've had it since about 26 weeks and am now 34+, but it feels like forever. I really feel for you ladies who have had it from very early on. Just as you describe Sohappy, I have to hobble around during the day now and turning over in bed is agony. I'm being referred for physio and will be given a support belt but my midwife basically said it's a question of just managing the pain, making sure I don't do anything to make it worse and waiting it out, in reality.

Like you I hate the thought of popping pills (I'm even reluctant to take paracetemol for a headache when I'm not pregnant) but it's got to the point where I need to in order to cope. I've decided I'm going to only take it twice a day when I'm struggling most as I really don't want to be constantly dosed up - if you can't feel the pain as badly you won't know if you're overdoing it and making it worse, for one thing :roll:
  • Options
    Thank you ladies,

We're all bloddy suffering, its horrible. pumkin pie, I get scared to have a bath as feel i may get stuck as its so painful, getting in has been a nightmare but getting out isn't so bad as can push myself up with my arms and then sit on the side - its the lowering in that i can't do but when i've managed it does help, thanks.

Paracetamol it is for tonight then and perhaps my hot water bottle although i feel as though i'll be boiling the baby as my pain is right at the front of my pubic bone and lady bits where bubba's head is.

Thanks tronski, I really hope everyone feels better soon too, hope you get your referral soon Jenn xxx
  • Options
    Hey pt,

we were replying at the same time i think. I might do what you said as i am so paranoid about taking any medication really so don't want to be too dosed up as have taken nothing so far and am nearly there. I really do feel for everyone and have just said to my hubby that i've done well to get so far without getting it, god knows how you all cope so early on....i tell you this, this is our 1st baby but may well end up being our last, sad to say but the pain, don't know if i can do it again as i've found myself in tears tonight from being so fed up....i hope so though as we do want more than 1 xxx
  • Options
    Hi Hun,

As you know ive been suffering a while (since about 20 weeks) and have been stuck in the bath on many occasions..hubby has to get me out the bath, dry me as I cant bend/move then put my trousers on for me.

Things I find help a little -
    Ive used a support pillow in bed since about 13 weeks as i had bad back from then and used to find it wonderful! Now im nearing the end I actually find the pillow doesnt help at all (but that might just be me)

If I use the pillow between my legs..I get a really sore hip (the one im lying on) and have to then turn over after half an hour to the other hip..then obv half hour later turn again!! Which as you know turning is the worst part...I havent been using a pillow and last night only needed to turn over about 3 times!!

Also, for turning over... if you gently nudge yourself to the edge of the bed..then use your upper body to roll rather then flip that definatly helps!! Although hubby does get annoyed at me rolling myslef towards him lol!!...I also found that trying to keep your legs straight aswell as together while you roll hurts less.

I think different things help for different people..hang in there hun not long left for you now!!!

Big Hugs to you and baby happy image

xxxx
    PB 35+5
  • Options
    Thanks pb and lara,

The tips are really helpful, thank you. I just can't believe that everyday things like getting in/out of bed, getting washed n dressed are so difficult and painful. I only have a bath if hubby is in as i fear getting stuck lol.

Thanks lara re advice on having an epidural, have been thinking about the birth a lot recently as i'm hopefully nearly there, not that keen on having one anyway but haven't ruled it out - what you say makes sense though. Gonna ask my mw about birthing positions when i see her next, will try not to feel bad if i need to take any pain killers, have still managed to resist so far but the paracetamol is on my bedside table ready xxx
  • Options
    Helloooo! Really don't feel bad about taking pain killers. I'm 28 weeks preggers today and have been suffering for a couple of months with SPD and the damn pain in brings with it. I ended up in hospital last weekend as the pain got so bad I wasn't quite sure what was happening to me! Turns out it was SPD and Kidney Infection....Pah! I ended up taking paracetemol and codeine which did help. Let me know how you are getting on with things and keep in touch sweetie XXXXX
  • Options
    Hi lavenderpan,

Gosh that sounds nasty...so sorry to hear that you are really suffering too.

I think for me the whole pain killer thing is such an issue because i've got so far through the pregnancy without any...anyway, don't worry, i will take some if i'm desperate, thanks.

Hope you feel better soon xxx

SH 39 wks today!!!
  • Options
    Hi girlies,

I am 25+4 and think i am just starting to suffer from this, the last few days i have been getting bad pains in my groin and pelvis, made worse if i sit for too long nd then get up to walk, its hurrendous, haven't been to midwife yet to see her about it but going to get an appointment.

worse thing of all is that i work in an office and cant get any work done coz i have to keep getting up and down otherwise its worse. don't know whether i should go to my doc and get a note to stay off work, as i am finding the pain, like many of you, unbearable, and sometimes catch myself crying coz of it lol.

eliz xx