Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

2 weeks 2 go and ....please help

Hiya girlies

i am 38 weeks pregnant today (by hospital dates)
i have started Taking iron tablets due to low iron intake
( and yesday felt like crap even tho was the second day of taking them well 1 tablet)
last night got Black stools (tmi soz) and Had a realy bad head acke

im worried cos i googled it and it said you only get stools like that if you have high intake

Any ideas girls

Thanks

:\?Caz n pinkbump

Replies

• Options
    Hi honey
    Iron does give you black stools and normally makes you constipated even on a low dose, it's just a side effect unfortunately. I am supposed to take them as I get anaemic each month when period arives (well not anymore i'm pregnant obviously!) but in the end I stopped as I couldn't take the not going to the toilet and ended up in pain.
    Headaches can be a general sign of iron tablets but if it's really bad then it could be a too higher dosage.
    Was it the midwife that gave it to you? Perhaps give her a call but normally they make you take it a for a few days to see if the headaches subside once it's in yoru system.
    Really hope you start to feel better honey.
    xxx
    Emma
    6+4
    xx
  • Options
    the m/w told me 2 get a certan iron tablet so went to chemist told the pahrmist and yeah they said take like 2-3 aday but av bein taking 1 sometimes 2

Thanks
  • Options
    I wouldn't listen to pharmacists, my ony experience with them has been rubbish! Can you phone your m/w to check with her as it's hard enough being 38 weeks pregnant, let along feeling like crap too! xxx