Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

which mattress?

I'm writing a list of possible buys - has anyone bought a matress yet or know anything about which to get? I'm thinking about just going for one of the mor expensive ones with lots of layers as a friend said buy a cheaper cot but good matress. This baby lark is a mine field!

Replies

• Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one confused over the mattress issue. My last babs was 8 years ago and OMG how things have changed. The other day someone told me not to buy a sprung mattress as it's not good for baby. Even a lady in the baby shop said it to me!! So I'll just stick to a fully ventilated head-to-foot one me thinks....
    Sarah x
  • Options
    The one I'm looking to buy is made of foam.. soz forgot to mention that bit..lol
  • Options
    I have never heard of a sprung one being bad for the baby, do you know why? I was just going to go for Mothercare's second most expensive one which has a washable cover which I found very useful with my first two very sicky babies.

DebbieW
  • Options
    i don't know why and didn't think to ask either!! Brain doesn't work ....
  • Options
    We were recommended to buy the second most expensive one from mothercare and the shop assistant was quite helpful . It was a bit confusing though... and it makes you feel silly that you don't know which one to buy....
  • Options
    It is a minefield! You feel like an idiot cos you dont know exactly what you need but sometimes too much choice is a bad thing! Me and my hubby had a demo of one of the pushchairs in Mamas and Papas - she made it look so easy while we stood there with confused expressions
  • Options
    We got our mattress from a company www.babymatressesonline.co.uk - quite reasonable prices for all types of cots. We were advised by someone not to get a foam one as they tend to get flattened where the baby lies after a while rather than support. We got a sprung one so I wonder why they aren't supposed to be any good? Oh well - bought it now!
  • Options
    make that www.babymattressesonline.co.uk - missed out a 't'!
  • Options
    I was a bit bewildered by the choice of mattresses! I finally settled on a middle priced one from Babies R us. It is a sprung one, as it's for a cotbed and I was told these are more likely to last the lifetime of the cotbed (foam ones not long lasting apparently). I've not heard of sprung ones being bad for baby - surely it's nothing serious, otherwise they wouldn't sell them. Oh well - I've already bought it now.