Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Advice re work and dates plz

Hi ladies.

I am just looking for a little advice please.

I have decided that I shall not be returning to my job when I have had the baby and would like to become a stay at home mum.
At the moment I am getting a lot of pain from this pregnancy, so was thinking of taking my full 11 weeks maternity. My baby is due on the 30th April so what would the date be that i could leave?
Also because I am not going to be going back after the maternity leave when do I date my notice of leave from? Do I hand this in when I inform my boss that I shall be taking my maternity leave all 11 weeks of it or do I hand it in a month before my maternity finishes?

Maz x
18+3

Replies

• Options
    I'm no expert but i don't think it is as simple as that.

If you are not intending to return to work then you won't be entitaled to company maternity pay, and so i think you just hand your notice in and then claim state maternity allowance which is currently about ??117.

I'd get some advice from citezens advice or similar!
  • Options
    It's my understanding that maternity leave always startes on a sundazy and finishes on a saturday. My work had fairly good info on their intranet site on this (and a handy chart that works it out for you) - the week in which your due date is is called your estimated week of confinement, and you can start maternity leave 11 weeks before that.

30th April is a Friday, so you would actually count back 11 weeks from the Sunday before, 25th April - which I make 7th Feb, so you last day of work would be 6th Feb (or the last day you are scheduled to work before that).

Don't hand your notice in until a month before you are due to return, so that you still have the benefits of being employed, your annual leave (remember you accrue this while on maternity leave) etc while you are off. If your work offers additional maternity pay on top of SMP you will probably have to pay this back if you don't return, so don't spend it (!), or they might give you the option to say you're unsure about returning and you can delay the payment of the additional money in case you do return. Also, not wanting to be pessimistic, but if your financial circumstances do change, at least you'd have a job to go back to if you don't resign yet.

Just to clarify, you are entitled to 12 months maternity leave, it's just that only 11 weeks of it can be before your due date.

Hope this link helps:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/Pregnancyandmaternityrights/DG_10039631
  • Options
    ggrrr my reply was eaten!!!!

firstly you need to have a good read of your maternity policy and your rights as these differ from comapany to company.

sunflower has just about covered it all :\)

you can take leave from the sunday after you are 29 weeks pregnant. if you are not going to recieve more that SMP (ie your company offerers no extra pay) you can take 12 months off alltogether and hand in your notice as per contract usually 4 weeks before sceduled return.

if you do get extra pay you need to inform them you are not returning or you will have to pay this money back x

• Options
    Whilst companies often ask if you intend to return, I'd keep your options open - you might actually change your mind after you've been a stay at home mum for a while, or you might want to work part-time, so my advice would be to say you're returning and then put your notice in later on before your maternity leave runs out x
  • Options
    Hey hon
    Just to say my company don't actually make me pay back any extra entitement they give me, it says so in my maternity policy. I have told them i'm going back so I have open options but the reality is I most probably won't as i want something part time. Personally I woudl tell them you are but you don't have too, means you always have a lifeline is something happens. I was dreading handing my notice in and then DH getting made redundant or somethign stupid. At least I know I can earn a decent wage if I absolutely had too. I'll be handing mine in 8 weeks before i'm due to go back .
    Em
    37+1
    xx
  • Options
    Thank you ladies you have given me a lot to think about xx
  • Options
    Thank you ladies you have given me a lot to think about xx