Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is it true you make strange noises when in labour?

Hi Girls

A few of my friends have told me how primeval giving birth can be and that you make all sorts of strange noises, like an animal, when your at the end stages of labour, bearing down and grunting and moaning.

What are your thoughts?? XX

Replies

• Options
    haha g/c from baby! i think most women make noises, not sure about the animal noises but moaning, yes i did that and yes i screamed!

ashy x
  • Options
    im sure when i had my little girls i did a lot of low moaning and groaning.lol. xxx
  • Options
    i'm g/c from baby too...i didn't make any noises what so ever, in fact (much to OH's amusement) i sat and had a conversation whilst pushing DD out haha
  • Options
    I did not think I was that bad with dd! O felt I won't to make them more than I did but felt really silly! I did not have anything and was very aware that there was alot of ppl in my room just looking at me not nice!! But it was only when pushing I wonted to make them! Plus my mw saidaking noise uses up alot of enargy so try not to!
  • Options
    with ds i remember making a funny moaning noise, i asked Oh about this and he said it was like i was trying to make a noise, but nothing was coming out and nowhere near as loud as i thought i was being, he said u could barely hear it, i thought the people on the wards would be able to hear lol...i think like all things, it really varies from birth to birth, so don't worry about it, plus even if u do make lots of noise, the mws will always have dealt with someone louder before so no need to be embarrassed

xx
  • Options
    I'm not worried at all, I'm just gonna go with the flow, its just a few of my friends have said its like your body takes over and you may as well be giving birth in a cave, like a cave woman, they all said how they were all making noises and wondered, where the hell did that come from?

I just think its one of those things like you say that varies.. Its amazing really what you have to go through! XX I'm not embarrassed, I'm embrasing the experience, if I poo, wee, moan, shout whatever!

Also another thing occurred to me, when you are dilated, obviously you can't really introduce any germs, so what happens if you want to pee??
  • Options
    also g/c from baby and toddler!

Yes, I seemed to loose all aspect of time and all my inhibitions. I stripped naked both times. 1st time I did a lot of swearing and shouting (I rarely swear normally!). I panicked big style shouting at the mw telling her I didn't want the baby any more!

2nd time I was much more calm and was grunting when told to breath through my contractions instead of pushing. I then screamed his head out, (which apparently helped!!) He was 10lb1 though.......

I think mw have seen it all!!

xxx
  • Options
    u should continue to wee as and when u need to throughout labour, if u don't ur bladder can become distended (sp?) which can cause an obstruction for baby trying to get down...however i 'think' (because i never got to 10cm) that by the time u've got that far and baby is crowning ur not gonna feel the need for a wee, or even need one as there'll be lots of other feelings going on down there, if ur bladder does become too full and cause a problem they may well catherterise u if its stopping baby from moving down and u 'can't' go...shouldn't transfer any germs either as ur uretha is separate so u won't be getting any wee up and in the birth canal

hth xx
  • Options
    Like the others have said, everyone, and every birth is different.

I felt like i made a lot of noise with my first but when I asked my mum about it afterwards she said I never made a sound except when dd was crowning and I uttered the words 'jesus christ' :lol:

However the woman in the next room (who had hers before me) shouted the place down and absolutely terrified me!
  • Options
    Mine was more of a Oww noise that went from Ouch to Oww to Oww Oww Oww Oww Owwwwwwwwww I can't do this any more ha ha ha we have it on Camcorder just so i don't forget (thank you hubby) at the time was not bothered about anything having a Wee Poo or noises just wanted her out hence my reason for letting Hubby film, However did have to stop filming as i needed to have an emergency C section image
  • Options
    My midwife encouraged me not to make any noise during the pushing stage as she said I needed all my energy to push! It worked and I used a mouthpiece to bite down on instead! x
  • Options
    I made some strange grunting noises when the midwife told me to resist the urge to push because my cervix wasn't dilated evenly. I was panting to avoid pushing and then my body took over so I made a strange noise when I was unsuccessfully trying to stop myself from pushing. I didn't scream though or anything like that. I said lots of ow ow ow in early labour when I wasn't allowed pain relief though.
    One of the midwifes on one born every minute said to a screamer than she was wasting energy screaming and she could be using that energy to push. I know it sounds strange but try pushing down as if you are pooing with your mouth open, then try it with your mouth closed and you can see how it would be more effective! Sorry for that graffic image. How many of you are doing it though lol!!!
  • Options
    I remember when I was being induced there was a girl in the opposite end of labour ward and she was screaming the place down and that was with an epidural the mw told me and I thought holy jesus I can't do this but the I never screamed, when I first started pushing I said nothing and the mw was in abit of shock because I went from 4cm to 10cm in under 8 minutes but I just made like a 'straining' noise if that makes sense :lol:
  • Options
    I was silent with no.1 and only made some low groaning sounds when I was 10cm with no.2 but had no pain relief. Both times I was silent when pushing.

Some of the noises coming from other rooms scared the hell out of me though!
  • Options
    i cried throughout my first birthing experience but i didnt swear or grunt.
    Also i didnt really think about going for a wee it was the last thing on my mind and my body had completely prepared myself pooh wise as i didnt leave the toilet the morning of my labour so i didnt pooh either.

lelly
    xxxxx
  • Options
    I didnt make any noise with my first .... with my second it all happened very quickly and i kind of groaned in agony (no time for pain relief lol) as i got the bearing down sensation... if i hadnt of done that i dont think midwife would have whipped my leggings off like she did... the noise made her realise baby was coming fast!! lol xx
  • Options
    Every woman makes a certain noise when the baby is in the right position for you to push. This is when the midwife will become bright eyed an rush over lol.

I dont think anyone could give birth without making any kind of noise really unless ur into the hypnobirthing an are really good at channeling pain ect but ur bound to make a grunt somewhere lol. Its all natural an the midwife will have heard it all before image x