Forum home› Pregnancy› Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Council House

Deleted

[Modified by: samanthalh on 26 November 2008 14:19:46 ]

Replies

• Options
    hay hun ive been on council list pritty much since i got pregnant and im now 36+5 and still bidding for a council place they wot give you one just because you are expecting its mainly if its an emergency as in if your going to be homeless etc but then you will only get offered a bnb which is what ive been offered they tend to now tell you all you can do is keep bidding and hope a place comes up for you which can take years otherwise to go private which is what ive had to go and do even with a eviction notice tahts 3 days after my due date they say they still can not help me

loren x x
  • Options
    Well im living here as my parents have kicked me out and my OH's parents said we have to go soo too. x
  • Options
    the only thing they will offer you will be a bnb at first hun which to me aint to bad at your stage in pregnancy coz then mayb a little later down line they mite offer you house or flat somewhere all you can do is go down there and have a talk with them.

Loren x x
  • Options
    hi i had to declare homeless at the council when me and my ex split as i had nowhere to go with two toddlers i was told i would be put in a bnb as my brother lived with me also. i was lucky i went from my homeless interview 3 weeks after filling out the forms and was given the keys to a flat but i know for some it can be a very long process if i were you i would sort something out asap
    claire x
    11+6
  • Options
    hi
    im in a 2 bedroom flat with 5 kids and twins on way im on emergecy list but still nothing that was 6weeks ago.twins will b born in 7weeks.

its a hard struggle im afraid with councils.

mandy x
  • Options
    hi my council are useless ive been on the list 2 years and i live in a 1 bed house with my oh and our son , were expecting baby 2 in jan and i rang 2 weeks ago they said im no 110 on the list and they only had 2 houses last year to put people in , they also added i could be on the list for 10 years , quit while im ahead springs to mind!!!x x x
  • Options
    hi from what i know, most councils wont offer you a house/flat straight away as they dont have enough, however if they do offer you to stay in a b and b then take it, i mean it wont be pratical at the time but in the long run it will work out better for you. as they dont like to keep you there for long as its costing them too much money, so probably a month or two tops before you get offered a place.
    i havnt had experience of it myself but thats what has happened to friends who have been in the situation as you.

good luck!!

hannah 16 weeks today image xxx
  • Options
    hi i was on the list for 18 months my lo was 9 months old wwhen we got our house get your heaalth visitor midwife on sie also get your oh rents to write to them saying how stressful it is living with you all
  • Options
    Im currently living in council homeless accommodation i had to leave my partner as he was violent and abusive towards me, i got put in a bnb for 2 wks as thts the longest they put u in a bnb in my area if u are pg or have los, im nw in a 1 bed temp flat until i get a council house which isnt so bad but im living in a tiny village, no supermarket and im 25 miles away from my family so i have no friends or family nearby. My son is living with his dad so tht he didnt have to change school and i have to get on/off 4 buses to go and pick him up at the w/end and thn again on the sun. IM nw 22+4 wks and have really bad spd and just wish the council would move their backsides and get me a house!!!
  • Options
    Hi folks, i used to work as a caseworker dealing with homelessness and in our area there simply wasnt any housing available. What i feel is the best way forward is to rent privately using the rent deposit scheme because i think it is better than the agony of being put in band b or being placed mile away from where you want to be. I helped hundreds of people find suitable accomodation and still keep in contact with some of them now. The misconception is that council accomodation is better cheaper blah blah blah - but it really isnt thatdiffernt anymore.

You can pick and choose the area - there is no longer a huge difference between the price of a privately rented and council rented (well there isnt down here since we went to housing association) you can pick which house and where and in the current climate landlords are more inclined to accept housing benefit.

Left thtis job 3 years ago as it was too upsetting but hope you all find accomodation soon.

Sarah
  • Options

Hiya can you rent privately using the scheme if you are working and married and what is the rent deposit scheme thanks